Dulwich Grove Closure - Melborne Grove a Motorway

katybenno

Does anyone know how long the works that have closed the junction of Lordship lane and Dulwich Grove are going to go on?

Basically they have diverted all the traffic down Melborne Grove (including the 37 bus) which is already a massively busy road for a non classified road as everyone uses it as a short cut and car park for when they go shopping in ED. I can hardly even cross my road at the moment to go to the shop its RIDICLOUS.

To make it even worse, the clever Council has decided to put parking suspensions down one side of the whole of the road, so when we could barely park, now we can't at all. I have had to park 3 roads down and don't like doing that as then I'll be taking up some other residents space.

The parking suspension is for a MONTH!

Sounds like a bit of a nightmare - although the 37 bus route always used to be down Melbourne Grove up to a couple of years ago, sensibly they changed it to East Dulwich Grove (although it has made crossing that junction a nightmare - definitely needs some kind of pedestrian crossing). Hopefully it'll be back to normal for you soon.

I share your pain katybenno.

Unfortunately this is happening everywhere during these extensive gas/water pipe replacement works. We had three months of it with buses constantly getting stuck down our narrow road each day, long queues and a huge gouge down the side of my car kindly left by someone anonymous.

Hopefully you won't have to wait that long.

Stiff upper lip and all that...

The roadworks have been fairly epic and inconvenient throughout their journey down Lordship Lane. However, the difference now is that they have closed a major junction for 6 weeks (from the signs I've seen) and redirected all the traffic down a resendential street. It hasn't affected me but I do feel sorry for the residents of Melbourne Grove. But they do need to be done so I think it's a case of grinning and bearing it for the greater good.

I know the works are necessary I don't deny that, but it would be nice if the Council gave some sort of warning that your road was about to become a practical motorway, and that you are having your parking removed, but no, they just whack the signs up and expect everyone to co operate.

I just WISH (and I can't believe I'm saying this) that they would bring parking permits into Southwark. I would actually prefer to pay to park and always have somewhere rather than have to search for 5 hours to find a place even when the road is not partially parking suspended.

And this is such a NIMBY, if you had it in your doorstep you wouldn't be saying its not the end of the world.

Thanks to those who feel my pain!!

Really, really, really, you don't want permits. They actually reduce the amount or available parking. And stretch of kerb that might be long enough for a small car but not long enough for a regulation gets a yellow line. Then any tiny mistake and you get fines and worse. I once left my little car legitimately on such a yellow line in a quiet residential street one evening, forgot about it the next day, had my car towed and the whole incident ended up costing me ?500. Really, really, you don't want permits.

But katybenno, you do have my sympathy. I can imagine it's really annoying. But it will go away eventually.

There was an option to get permit parking for Melbourne Grove a few years back. At the time, I gladly signed up. After hearing nothing for 6 months, I followed it up and was told the votes for it were marginal.

The Station side of MG usually has loads of spaces on the weekend, either everyone takes their cars away for the weekend or the residents of MG between them don't have many cars thus being the designated station car park during the week.

Personally, if I were travelling from wherever to use ED station, I would park on St Francis road - it's closer. Give it a try.

God Lisa - unlucky that they got the side of your car. Maybe I should stop moaning.

And I know parking permits can be worse Izodia but the problem is people think that Melbourne Grove is a 'Park and Ride' road. I see people every day driving and parking their cars on our road and then getting on the train! I have a company car and only use it as my job invloves driving around all day, therefore if I go out in the morning and come back at lunchtime I cannot park anywhere.

My sister lives In camberwell as she has the same problem, all the local council offices are near and they park down her road during working hours! So if you go out during the day you are screwed!

I just wish we had been forewanred about the diversion, but I have to say last night I got a space!!!!! Whoop!

Now I'll wait for the scratches from the number 37........