Deliveroo ?dark kitchen?, on Melborn Grove?

They're far from offering ethical business. But that doesn't sound quite right Seabag. As it kills the UVP that made their model successful "your favourite local restaurants food, brought to your door". And have you experienced how their "dark kitchens" mangle and destroy concept after concept? Just try comparing Busaba Eathai from their se22 menu with...Busaba Eathai in Soho. Like polystyrene by comparison. You of all people know what it takes in skill,craft and proper kit in building a local name over time. Sure there will be some who can't tell Franklin's wood fired chicken from something knocked up in a portacabin. But no different to now. VC funded businesses don't have talk some shit to show how they might scale to appease investors. Can't see "taking over" local businesses as one of them.

Has been there for ages (maybe even a year now) - lots of "Deliveroos" scooting in and out. I think it is more for their "own brand" restaurants that they have listed on there - they effectively create different restaurant concepts themselves to pad out the listings before they have local restaurants signed up.

I wonder just how big the intersection is of regular gig economy service uses (Uber, Deliveroo etc.) and those who rail against rampant capitalism/zero hour contracts/abuse of workers, especially those who are young/lacking qualifications/foreign. (I don't use Uber, Deliveroo etc.)

Robert Poste's Child Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> No risk of it meaning ?1 off the Deliveroo boss's

> profits, then. That's why I can't use them or buy

> clothes from Primark for that matter - at those

> prices you know someone's being exploited.

>

> Why didn't I know about wood-fired chicken at

> Franklin's? Can you buy a whole one to take home?

That would be the little portable thing outside Franklin's Farm Shop, would it not. ?

DulwichFox

I live nearby and they only have a couple of prefabs on site. They've been in this location for over a year and initially listed their incorrect address which meant I was disturbed frequently by deliveries and potential job applicants which they only rectified once threatened with social media publicity.

ally3188 Wrote:

> Relax it's not a dark kitchen, it's where they

> sign up and train their new recruits

It's both. I live nearby and have a photo from back in June last year of 3 portacabin kitchens - they had the 'restaurant' name on each one but I can't remember them now.

No consultation with nearby residents and I'm unclear as to whether they have the correct planning permissions, have been asking James Barber but haven't heard back. The recent news articles suggest not.

I don?t think Franklin?s do their wood-fired chickens any more and haven't for a little while. Maybe that is the aspect of Deliveroo?s model to which Seabag was referring?

On further inspection, there are rotisserie chickens available from ?Deliveroo Editions? which, when you look up the details of the ?restaurant? turns out to be based on Valmar Road in Camberwell (see SNews article linked to above). They are also priced way above what Franklin?s Farm Shop used to charge.

fishbiscuits Wrote:

> I only order from ones I know come from the actual

> restaurants.

>

> If you order Busaba Eathai, Yoobi Sushi, or

> Tommi's Burgers... it's very mediocre food

> (prepared/reheated in Melbourne Grove or Valmar

> Road) and very, very expensive.

If that is the case people will lose confidence in the whole concept.

I'd think they'd make a huge effort to maintain quality.

I ordered from Yoobi without realising it didn't come from the restaurant, thought quality was excellent.

fishbiscuits Wrote:

> I only order from ones I know come from the actual

> restaurants.

>

> If you order Busaba Eathai, Yoobi Sushi, or

> Tommi's Burgers... it's very mediocre food

> (prepared/reheated in Melbourne Grove or Valmar

> Road) and very, very expensive.