Peckham Rye or ED?

Angelina

I've found two houses I really like but locations - while not far in walking terms - are different ends of the spectrum.

One is near Peckham Rye and the other is just off LL, near the cinema.

The one near the park has a longer commute each day but is much nicer and needs less work.

My kids each like different ones and I can't decide, so just thought I'd ask anyone who lives in either area what they like about it and maybe help me decide....

it's a ten min walk to PR station, which feels like ages in London-commute time!

? Have you been living on top of a Tube station? SE London transport is not great, so be patient, or you will let it get to you and cheese you off. Walk, bus, Overground, normal train, taxi - all will somehow conspire against you over time!

Yes, I was going to say - you don't mention how old your kids are, but surely schools will be the deciding factor?

We live just off Lordship Lane by the cinema and I love being so close to everything - so easy to just pop out if you've forgotten to buy something, near to all the bars/restaurants/North X Rd market and extremely handy for buses into town. But it's horses for courses - parking is definitely harder round here and it's a ten-minute walk to either Dulwich or Peckham Rye parks. We nearly made an offer on a house in Peckham Rye when we first bought and I do think Peckham is 'cooler' than ED, but I've never regretted moving here.

ETA: Ah, cross-posted - just seen you've got your secondary school sorted!

Angelina Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> it's a ten min walk to PR station, which feels

> like ages in London-commute time!

Then it's probably closer to the station than you would be up by the Lordship Lane cinema. Like I say... PR much better for transport (especially when Southern decide to strike or not run on the weekend).

I used to live near LL and now live close by to PR.

Commute for me (City) is easier from where I live now. I mainly cycle but am talking about the days when I commute by public transport. Overground to Shoreditch and British Rail to Elephant, Blackfriars or Victoria means plenty of options.

BTW, unless you are north of East Dulwich Road, Peckham Rye is more than ten mins walk away. But, the buses are very frequent so can be at the station in around that time.

I miss living near all the shops etc, but I think I'd miss the proximity to the park if we switched back. I think it's probably a bit quieter near the park, but guess that changes road by road.

I've lived in both. I prefer the shops / bars / cinema / swimming pool of LL and the "feel" of the residential streets is better in ED in my view - a bit more space, quieter.

Transport is a obviously lot worse than nearer PR, even if you're near ED station, particularly to Victoria / West End. Depends where you need to commute to and whether you cycle.

I live off Lordship Lane near the cinema. I'd pick the easier commute which should be PR. If it's the same, then I'd pick what the easier commute to school is for the kids. All that being equal, I'd pick ED as I love being near the high street and use it a lot.

It's really horses for courses. Peckham is cooler but I'm too old to be cool now anyhow. ED feels more leafy and family oriented which is where I am in life.

No comparison: East Dulwich is infinitely better than Peckham and living proof that places can thrive without being connected to the Underground network. ED pulls in young families in their droves, attracted by one of the most interesting and varied shopping streets in south London and frequent rush-hour trains to London Bridge that take just 15 minutes. Add to the mix a much-needed new comprehensive school being built on the Dulwich Hospital site in East Dulwich Road and a new Picturehouse cinema in Lordship Lane, why would anyone prefer Peckham?

https://www.homesandproperty.co.uk/area-guides/southwark-borough/east-dulwich/living-in-east-dulwich-area-guide-to-homes-schools-and-transport-links-a114876.html

I second/ third/ fourth the vote for Peckham Rye versus Lordship Lane. More space, more parking,bigger gardens and frequent buses to Rye lane with great transport links to all of london (east, central, tube network) and I prefer shops and cool cafes in Peckham. Finally, walking to Lordship Lane is about 15 mins and you've got the.best of both worlds! We live top of P Rye park and love it.

I live near the Forest Hill Road end of Peckham Rye and I do like it here, but if I had my time over I would find somewhere the other end of the park to be nearer to Peckham Rye station for the transport links. I do use the station from time to time, but it's about a mile and half and it would make a big different to travel time being a mile closer.