Yet another motorcycle stolen (with a portable angle grinder)

As per the title. Not mine, but a mate's. Near Forest hill road. It was chained to a lamppost with a biggish chain that was cut, most likely with some kind of portable angle grinder. AFAIK those things really cut through anything, even the heavier Almax and Pragmasis chains I generally advocate.

Not much that can be done to prevent cases like this, I'm afraid. A GPS tracker, maybe. An alarm (to wake you up - I wouldn't count on the neighbours too much). I wouldn't have both tracker and alarm on the bike because of the drain on the battery; maybe one of those alarmed disc locks or chains, but the sound is all too easy to muffle.

Bastards!

Maybe they'll get caught if they steal some other bike with a tracker; it has happened in the past - a bike with tracker leading the police to recover many more

Very sorry to hear it - I know the pain of losing a favourite motorcycle. Can you let us know the make and maybe registration, just on the off chance it's still in the area so we can keep 'em peeled (unlikely, I know, but the chump who nicked my Aprilia was caught in Croydon as he'd stripped and resprayed the fairings but had neglected to change the reg plate! (Unfortunately by then, as it was a two stroke, his neglect of topping up the oil had all but burned out the engine))?

Thanks.

It's a Yamaha Tracer 700. I'd need to ask my mate if he feels comfortable sharing the reg plate.

If I had to bet, I'd say whoever did this explored the area a few times to identify which bikes they wanted to steal, and probably loaded a few in a van. Chances are the bike has already been taken apart.

I've written to Helen Hayes MP about the rise of motorcycle theft in the area. Not expecting any major change but the more we make our feeling known the greater chance of making some impact. If you haven't looked up "We Ride London" then have a look at that as well.