Is there any co-ordination of roadworks?

TheCat

Not sure if its TFL or Southwark that is to blame here...but why is it that there seems to be absolutely no co-ordination of separate roadworks which take place in close proximity to eachother...?

For example, at a time when the Village intersection a nightmare, now the top of Burbage road has been closed for a couple of weeks (more temporary lights)...so there is no easy route to get from East Dulwich to the other side of the village (i.e. Turney road/Dulwich Sports-Ground area), as I wouldn't call going down Lordship lane, round the South Circlular and up Croxted as easy either. Also, the residential side roads off Half Moon Lane now have mountains of traffic on them as people attempt to rat run through.

So unless the Burbage Road closure is for emergency work which was unexpected (?), then surely one these two projects could have been delayed so they don't run concurrently....and thus throwing a huge wrench in any East to West traffic from ED to Herne Hill...

And now 4 way lights on lordship lane and two sets of lights at top of college road as well as the extensive junction works at top of Fountain drive.

No one is observing the keep clear boxes on the village roundabout outside the Barclays either in their haste to join the queue backed up from the village junction works so its nigh on impossible at busy times to enter or exit Burbage road from there.

I cant believe they have closed Burbage road at Half Moon Lane. They are adding a zebra crossing and pedestrian raised platform apparently. Another two weeks for that closure I think. Its crazy and no planning has been done at all!

its a joke i have to drive 9 miles (refuse to use public transport) and most of it is spent in traffic at these stupid lights my 25 min journey is now around an hour plus i was speaking to Thames water workers and they said that they presented Lewisham council with a request to make Sydenham hill going up to be 1 way and Sydenham rise 1 way going down and they said they refused so credit to Thames water for the suggestion

est time of repair 2-3 weeks

A cynic might suggest that the complete traffic chaos around ED forms part of the local Labour (and indeed Lib Dem) war against drivers. If you create situations when only cyclists can 'get through' (mainly by jumping across lights and onto pavements) then maybe car drivers will give up and go away. Who needs 'em?

It must be remembered that North Southwark is well served by public transport - and that is where the masters are based. South Southwark (with middle classes and even people who might consider not voting labour) can go hang.

ED wrong place to wage a war against drivers: how will all the lorries with skips get in to do all the loft conversions?

I did actually wonder (in a moment of minor rage) if this was some kind of anti-traffic plot! Seriously though; loads of people drive as part of their job - it's ludicrous to say "cars, who needs 'em?"