Update on Camberwell Grove bridge consultation

macutd

We have compiled and analysed all the responses and have summarised the results as well as recommendations and next steps in a summary report. The update and report can be found on the consultation website: southwark.gov.uk/camberwellgrovebridge

OK guys, who's going to own up to making those wind-up suggestions? A couple that stand out:

"Explore closing Camberwell Grove at the railway bridge and at the same time closing Grove Park and Chadwick Road at the railway bridge where the two join." Yes, why not build a wall between east and west while we're at it? Or turn it into a drawbridge to keep Grove Park safe from Peckham marauders.

"I recommend a SoapBox derby from the closed bridge down to the bottom of the hill! It would be a great event, and would rause money for charity!" Great to see local readers of the Beano having their say!

FYI-Just received the following e-mail.

It sounds like it is important for locals to show upon Monday & Tuesday of this week coming up:

MESSAGE FROM THE LANE WARD TRAFFIC ACTION GROUP

Dear All,

Yesterday, Al Roots, Rebecca Kong and myself were asked to attend a meeting with Cllr Ian Wingfield, three Southwark Highways staff, and three 'keep closed' residents from Camberwell Grove, to discuss the consultation process and the issues raised.

It was a broadly positive meeting, with a frank exchange of views on both sides. We were much reassured that Cllr Wingfield will listen to and take account of the views of all the communities impacted, not just the Camberwell Grove residents.

It is made VERY clear at this meeting that we must ensure our presence is felt at BOTH the community council meetings on Monday and Tuesday next week, and we would urge you to attend these and encourage as many of your neighbours to do so too.

To remind you, the meeting on Monday 13th November will be at 7pm at the Harris Academy school, 112 Peckham Road, SE15 5DZ, where we will present the deputation.

JUST AS IMPORTANTLY, the Camberwell meeting will be on Tuesday 14th November at the Employment Academy, 29 Peckham Road, Camberwell, SE5 8UA.

It is vital at this stage, when the final decision is being weighed up, that as many of us attend as possible. Please do share this email as widely as you can, and please do attend these vital meetings.

More crucially, since both myself and Rebecca are unable to attend on Tuesday (I am out of the country, and Rebecca has a parents evening), please please do come along on our behalf!!! After everyone's hard work, this is a really important stage.

Many thanks,

Lloyd Anderson

PS. On Wednesday evening, Al, Rebecca and I met another of our ward councillors, Jasmine Ali, together with two parents from the Belham School air quality group. They have a wider agenda about improving air quality in the neighbourhood, but are thus supportive of our campaign as part of moving towards a more strategic approach to traffic management.

From the Peckham Peculiar:

"Lloyd Anderson from The Lane Ward Traffic Action Group, who lives on Lyndhurst Grove, said: ?The closure of Camberwell Grove railway bridge has led to marked increases in traffic volumes in the immediate neighbourhood ? up by 78 per cent on Lyndhurst Grove and Bellenden Road, and by 96 per cent on Chadwick Road.

?The impacts of this pressure on surrounding, narrower, streets include an increase in the number of traffic conflicts and potential collisions, leading to arguments and losses of temper; an increase in vehicle emissions, affecting air quality and noise levels especially near schools; a less safe environment in which to move around, particularly for schoolchildren; greater distances travelled by motor vehicles; longer emergency response times; and a decline in trade for local businesses that depend on ease of access and a welcoming environment. All in all, the closure of the bridge has made many lives miserable.?

http://peckhampeculiar.tumblr.com/post/166353095608/we-wont-cross-that-bridge-when-we-come-to-it

The biggest farce of this consultation is that it's now been confirmed by officers the traffic figures in the consultation materials included pedal cycles not just motor vehicles. As there has been a record 15% increase in cycling last year in the area (and across central London according to TfL this week), none of the figures about [motor] traffic increasing or decreasing on particular streets can be relied on, undermining the validity of the whole process. e.g. the reported 6% increase on the busiest bit of Bellenden could in fact be a decrease in cycling and increase in driving or vice versa.

While the consultation has been divisive in some respects, it has at least highlighted that many local people, whatever their position on the bridge, want action to tackle rat-running through the area to improve air quality and conditions for cycling so it is a safe option for all ages.

The most depressing thing is that the officers' report says that something may be done about this but it would take them at least three years, assuming funding could be found. Let's not forget (as they seem to want us to) that the traffic study they did in 2016 was supposed to look into and make recommendations about this. Meanwhile they keep pouring money down the drain with fancy paved junctions ('traffic carpets' in Southwarkspeak) that fall to pieces within months of being built. The messily patched up one at the top of Camberwell Grove provides a fitting monument to these muddled priorities. It will be interesting to find out how local councillors respond at the meetings next week...

The only real way to improve it is to reduce trips in cars and vans. The only people who can do that is you.

This is a misunderstanding. Most people will do whatever is easiest, because most people don't actually care that much one way or t'other.

Want to change behaviour? Change what's easiest.

You're right about that wulfhound. If we had a tube, a lot of peeps would use their cars less. If you make driving really difficult, whilst buses take over an hour to get in to town and the train service is unreliable / out of service at weekends, people will just move out of the area (at least those who can - the others will just struggle).

Well attended meeting, first rate presentation. All Cllrs and Public in agreement to reopen.

Only downside. No Cllr Wingfield to hear the local residents passion and common sense, those who are suffering.

He will be at the Camberwell meeting, why not at this one? Camberwell Grove residents more important.

If he is to make the decision why not hear all sides?

Cycling is already the easiest, or at least fastest option for many - which is why it's so popular with many in the area. For others (for various reasons) it's not an option and road closures won't change that.

Obviously doesn't work for everyone all the time, including me. Nobody claims otherwise. I'm not one for banning cars, but I do think we could see a very large reduction without major negative impact on anybody's quality of life.

And yet of those within my immediate circle who could most easily cycle some fairly high % of routine trips (able bodied, 20-50somethings, haven't got pre-school children to transport, don't work physically demanding manual jobs or night shifts etc.), about 75% don't at all, ever. 75%, and I'm talking about a fairly well-educated, left-ish crowd. I should add that many of this 75% don't walk much either (and routinely drive trips which I'd walk rather than getting the bike out of the shed...)

Firstly because of perceived danger (whether that perception is right or wrong is debatable), and secondly because once you've paid for a car, driving those short trips is quite convenient. Closing roads improves safety and makes driving short trips less convenient - it seems to have been quite effective in changing behaviour over time in Hackney and Walthamstow.

mikeb Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Right now, driving around Dulwich is a nightmare

> due to roadworks. Cycling is the only reliable

> way to get around. And winter is coming...

This^. Driving anywhere in Dulwich is already really difficult. It's hard therefore, to see how much more one might change travel behaviour using 'the stick'. Fundamentally, we need better public transport.

And winter is coming...

Fortunately, we live in London not King's Landing (or indeed Edinburgh, or Chicago). There are rarely more than a handful of days per year where more than gloves and a coat are needed to keep the elements at bay for someone in reasonable health.

I like cycling but I wouldn't want to in London.

Out of interest, what do you think the main barrier is? Only because, personal experience, country roads can be worse than town: high speeds, blind bends, and when you do encounter an "A" road it's a 70mph dual carriageway with two miles between crossing points. Also the wide spaced road grid in the country, and bigger distances generally, means less chance of finding a direct, and therefore short enough to cycle, route between any points A and B. Cycling in rural Ireland is lovely, for example (apart from at pub closing time) but at the same time pretty useless for actually getting anything done as everything is so spread out.

Wulfhound I've cycled for over 60 years ,all but a handful of those in London .Those early rides as one of 5 children following my dad through the Rotherhithe tunnel weren't highlights .

What has put me off for the last 10 years is the number of other cyclists on the roads . I find them much more unpredictable than motor vehicles with a wide range of speed and skill .And of course they approach and pass silently .

The packs that gather at junctions and lights I find particularly intimidating .

Oh and the physical lengths one has to go to secure a bike where you live .Means I now walk shorter journeys where in the past I would have you used my bike .

It saddens me