light on crane

macutd

I've had some casework before on crane aviation warning lights.

From memory if the crane is 150m of greater above the surrounding ground height then it would need lights.

I suspect the crane in question may have previously been used for such a location. Risk of placing such lights if the crane isn't 150m of confusing any pilots and disorientating them. So perhaps the lights have ben removed or switch off. No aircraft should ever be flying above East Dulwich at a height they could crash into this crane.

Whilst James is right that the statutory requirements are for 150m height, the recommendations are for a lower (91.4m - 300ft) trigger. Any structure within 6kms of an airfield or aerodrome (which would include a heliport) over 10m is required to be notified.

Relevant links appear to be http://www.mantiscranes.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/CPA-TCIG-TIN-039-Issue-C-140108.pdf and http://www.londonheliport.co.uk/community/safeguarding/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

macuted I'm with you on this ,I'm glad that someone is keeping an eye on it and not assuming that someone else will .

My remark was meant to be addressed at kibris ( who from other posts would find a natural home on a the tiny things thread) and dog duck .Clearly both have no idea of what constitutues public spirit .And clearly it hasn't occured to either of them not to read a thread if they think it's trivial .

kibris Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> whatever dont forget to clean your window so you

> can see if the light comes on

No need to be a tit Kibris. It was a serious observation on what could be a fatal issue!

macutd Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> kibris Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > whatever dont forget to clean your window so

> you

> > can see if the light comes on

>

>

> No need to be a tit Kibris. It was a serious

> observation on what could be a fatal issue!

kibris' natural position is to be a tit, I fear...

I live near the crane (Scotch Corner) and it does worry me that the light isn't always working - especially as we do - as macutd said - get some very low flying police helicopters from time to time. Does anyone have a number or a contact that it can be reported to so the problem can be resolved. Although its concerning that the crane operators don't have their own system for making sure its functioning overnight while no-one is on site.

It?s not again tonight and I?m grateful for this thread as it?s a real worry living so close by.

I?ve found Kier?s newsletter to see if contact details are on there - unfortunately the out of hours number printed isn?t correct but I?m going to text the site manager as his contact details are on there.

Will post the correct out of hours details when I get them.