Terroirs Wine Bar - Any thoughts?

Loz Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Are places still doing Beaujolais Nouveau?

>

> How very 80's. Do they serve it with a prawn

> cocktail with Wham! playing loudly in the

> background?

Possibly only the London financial district that ever celebrated it? perhaps coincided with the advent of the wine bar culture in the 1980s and then spread to the suburbs.

I do remember a beajoulais breakfast circa 1992 - a bottle of beaujoulais and a fry up for ?10 per head in a city wine bar on a Thursday morning at 8am. We didn't make it to work. All had to take a days holiday. thankfully my boss was one of us.

Loz Wrote:

> Are places still doing Beaujolais Nouveau?

>

> How very 80's. Do they serve it with a prawn

> cocktail with Wham! playing loudly in the

> background?

Always a big day in Swansea - as is St Patrick, Australia, Canada, Burns night and any other day for the excuse LOL

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/best-pictures-beaujolais-day-2017-13912874

Ha! No Wham or prawn cocktail, but I saw they were doing oysters. My flatmate had Beef Bourguignon and mash.....OLD SCHOOL COMFORT 😊 I was just happy to keep the juice flowing and pick at charcuterie.

Welcome other cosy local recommendations for good wine & atmosphere.....

We had lunch there during their soft opening.

All very acceptable, and a nice wine was recommended to match our two quite different main courses, but we couldn't afford to eat (or drink) there often at their normal prices.

I'm sure it will do well though, as it will attract people less skint than us :)

The service was friendly, and we liked what they had done to the room where ToastEd used to have the big vats (?) of wine.

I think we've seen a bit of a re-emergence of French food in London recently (now people have remembered that confit duck and tart tatin actually taste a hell of a lot better than foraged sea vegetables and edible flowers). And we've seen a corresponding renewed interest in French wine. That's my theory anyway.

From one of the Times columnists today:

Not so nouveau now.

Do you remember what a huge deal the arrival of the yearly batch of beaujolais nouveau used to be? It was the Eighties, surely the naffest decade, and impossible to escape the hype. ?Beaujolais nouveau est arriv?!? screamed the headlines, as the race began to get bottles of the distinctly thin red stuff across the Channel.

Well, it seems that the great day came and went over the past week without anyone really noticing. I am not sure that anyone cares any more except, I read, the Japanese, who love it so much that you can even swim in it at a wine spa. Isn?t that just so Eighties?

Whatever this person says, she's still writing about it, non?

Beaujolais Nouveau should be a great case study in how to severely damage a brand.

Normal Beaujolais is great stuff - better value than burgundy at the same price level. But people turn their nose up at it because they think all Beaujolais is like nouveau.

edcam Wrote:

> Looking forward to trying it but will miss ToastEd

> - it was great and unique.

I think ToastEd was absolutely fantastic when it started, but it went downhill foodwise, unfortunately.

There's another thread on here somewhere about it.

The food I had at Terroirs was perfectly OK, but it didn't want to make me lick the plate in the way that the food I had when ToastEd first opened did.

Back to the thoughts on the restaurant....

Went there for dinner on Saturday

I've eaten at its Covent Garden sister a lot (opposite my office) and love it. The penny didn't drop that its the same people until I saw things on the menu that I recognised (the same name wasn't obvious enough for me)

I was a little underwhelmed. Prices and menu the same as the west end one, but just didn't seem to be prepared with the same love. I also think that the portions were smaller - could be wrong.

Service & atmosphere lovely. Small plates format. We had 6-7 between 4

All in all - a nice place to have a drink and a board of charcuterie- wont rush back for a full dinner.

treehugger Wrote:

> I think the name is a poor choice. If you pronounce it properly with a French accent, you

> sound a bit poncy; if you say it without much of a french accent it sounds odd "terrwa"; if you

> decide you just want to say it, you come out with "terrors" or "terriors".

Are people who eat there terroirists?