Silvester Rd post collection shambles

bels123

Totally expect to have to queue to collect parcels pre Christmas, but had to wait 40 minutes this morning only to be told they can?t find my parcels but ?they must be there? so call again tomorrow.

Reckon half the people in the queue ahead of me were similarly told their parcel couldn?t be found, for some it was their 2nd attempt.

Their advice is to go in the afternoon if you don?t want to queue - extended opening hours pre- Christmas.

I waited over half an hour yesterday! There was 8 people in front of me and just as many behind me. When I finally got to the counter to pick up a recorded delivery envelope which on the day delivery was attempted I was actually home it took the staff another 5 minutes to find it. Sadly it is a terrible service at the moment.

I've always found the Royal Mail service to be very efficient.

If you're not at home to receive something in the post then surely you can be prepared to wait a while to collect it.

My local Royal Mail post office had a big queue yesterday which was really unusual but I know whatever I send will get there.

Mrs C Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I could have written this post myself. It is

> absolutely RIDICULOUS. My parcel they lost last

> month was found 3 weeks later and today they found

> my parcel that they couldn?t find yesterday. What

> is going on there? It?s a joke.

I can't remember exactly now, but isn't one of the reasons the delivery office is closing down and moving to Peckham because there is insufficient room?

Especially at this time of year, I imagine they just physically haven't got enough space to put all the parcels, let alone try and organise them so that they can easily find them.

I'm not trying to defend the indefensible, so if the issue is actually bad management, then that is clearly something which needs to be addressed.

(And also dare I mention - privatisation.)

ETA: Also - you can complain. Online. So that your feelings get to somebody who (maybe, just maybe) can get something done about it, which posting on here can't, satisfying as it is to vent :)

I was queuing earlier today but gave up when some people who had just picked up their parcels, said it was likely to be a 1.5hr wait from where I was in the queue. Apparently, only one man on duty and he wasn't even supposed to be working today.

Are they trying to make the service as awful as possible so that we stop complaining about it moving to Peckham?

Incidentally, the sweet shop on corner of Crystal and Goodrich take Amazon parcels. I usually use it, don't know why I didn't this time!

The more people complain about the service, the stronger the rationale for closing it down altogether and moving it to Peckham. The staff are clearly under siege at this time of the year and can't cope with the volume of packages but it isn't their fault and they are also chronically understaffed and probably badly managed or whatever and if it moves to Peckham they potentially lose their jobs so to complain about the staff is just totally counter-productive. I for one would be incredibly inconvenienced by having to go to Peckham on a Saturday morning to pick up a parcel during the 11 months of the year that the office in Silvester Road provides a totally satisfactory service....so for goodness sake just factor in a wait and put up with it!

I recommend DPD Local with drop off and collect at ED Local (Kaival News) Just opposite Londis. DPD has a much more reliable service that Hermes. DPD collect at about 09:30 am every day and are very good. Book your parcel online, print the label and then drop it off.

The Londis staff are very competent and helpful but let down by Hermes as the do not always collect every day. Their collection time is mid-afternoon.

I still use them both but my strong preference is for DPD. They are faster and have better tracking and are much more reliable.

ljrodgers Wrote:

>. I

> for one would be incredibly inconvenienced by

> having to go to Peckham on a Saturday morning to

> pick up a parcel during the 11 months of the year

> that the office in Silvester Road provides a

> totally satisfactory service....so for goodness

> sake just factor in a wait and put up with it!

I think the move to Peckham is now a done deal.

ETA: There was a demonstration earlier this year outside the sorting office, one Saturday morning, before a final decision had been made.

Our MP Helen Hayes turned up for it.

Hardly anybody else did. There were about a dozen people there in total, and that's probably an overestimate.

So I don't suppose that turnout conveyed to Royal Mail that there was very strong local feeling against the closure.

I know someone who works there.

They barely employ enough staff to cover all year round. Staff keep going sick and a few people work very high levels of overtime all year to cover.

Every Christmas the number of parcels quadruples. The callers office is open longer hours over Christmas which has to be staffed. Staff are understandably not allowed to take holiday in December which does provide a few extra people.

There are currently several people on long term sick leave. There is a backlog of undelivered parcels. Extra staff have been brought in from other offices around London to help. They do not necessarily know East Dulwich or the particular job they are doing.

I know all the staff are doing their very best in a stressful situation to provide a good service.

I waited one hour last week, when I finally got to the front of the queue I was told they couldn't find my parcel. They guy took my number and said he'd call me once he finds it, but he still hasn't called. I've never waited more than 15 mins there before. Clearly a result of privatisation.

I have sent a complaint to Royal mail online, suggest others do so too if you can.

ljrodgers Wrote:

> The more people complain about the service, the

> stronger the rationale for closing it down

> altogether and moving it to Peckham. The staff are

> clearly under siege at this time of the year and

> can't cope with the volume of packages but it

> isn't their fault and they are also chronically

> understaffed and probably badly managed or

> whatever and if it moves to Peckham they

> potentially lose their jobs so to complain about

> the staff is just totally counter-productive. I

> for one would be incredibly inconvenienced by

> having to go to Peckham on a Saturday morning to

> pick up a parcel during the 11 months of the year

> that the office in Silvester Road provides a

> totally satisfactory service....so for goodness

> sake just factor in a wait and put up with it!

This is a very good point. I would urge those that complain to berate the lack of staff, not the staff themselves - it's clearly not the fault of the individuals working there.

Times have changed and we order more things online. This put so much pressure on the service that is usually exemplary- like others have said I?d be concerned about this service moving to Peckham- let?s support the staff and suck it up for now for the sake of convenience and to support our local hardworking staff.

Picked up a small parcel from Sylvester Rd a week ago for my gf. Only when I gave it to her did we realise it had been opened/resealed and the jewellery stolen from the box it was sent in.

Fair enough they have a tough job being understaffed at this time of year, but this isn't going to endear themselves to customers!