New Controlled Parking Zone - north of E.Duwlich train tracks

Southwark Council have just approved a new Controlled Parking Zone operating Mon-Fri 11am-1pm centred on Dog Kennel Hill - http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/mgIssueHistoryHome.aspx?IId=50015012&Opt=0

It will clearly add more parking pressure to residents south of the East Dulwich railway line. East Dulwich ward councillors and the Dulwich Community Council were not consulted. Councillors in Peckham and Nunhead were!

I have asked why the Dulwich Community Council were not consulted and that the decision be deferred until we meet in January.

jimlad48 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> How many times does it have to be said that

> Southwark gets no profit from CPZ. Anyone with

> proof to the contrary needs to contact the police

> with this evidence.

>

>

> Dog Kennel Hill parking is a major issue at the

> moment, so not surprised it is going in.

How's parking a major issue around the Dog Kennel Hill Estate exactly? There's plenty of parking across the estate and the surrounding roads.

Try parking during the day in Ondine Road or therabouts. Several years ago a residents (CPZ)scheme was rejected. Now, as should have been predicted it is almost impossible to find anywhere to leave a vehicle in this or the nearby streets. Please reconsider CPZ in Ondine. I'd happily pay a few quid a year to be guarranteed somewhere to park within walking distance of the house.

Generally, I think parking pressures have increased across the entirety of ED. Our street is miles away from ED Station and doesn't suffer from commuter parking but I've noticed a significant increase in cars, and particularly trucks and vans in the last 3 or so years - having not seen the same increase for the 5-7 years before that. Part of it may be more residential buildings and conversions, part of it (at least on our street) is a local business that parks 3-4 vans on the road, but Southwark has been clear and consistent for a while now that they see the response to parking pressure is CPZ on any affected roads. And once a CPZ comes in one place it pushes more pressure on other areas.

So I see the gradual creep of CPZ across our area as pretty much inevitable - not to do with fines or money generation - but just because it's one of Southwark's preferred approaches to managing parking pressures, along with more cycling and walking provision.

Of course parking fine revenues are greater than the immediate cost of enforcing the regulations. As I understand it, the requirement is for councils to 'invest' net revenue raised into local transport improvements.

But (a) improving transport is already a responsibility of councils and (b) cash is fungible, so diverting parking revenues to this activity means other cash can be freed up. So economically, it is indistinguishable from maximising parking fines to generate revenue for the council.

Implementing a CPZ will reduce total parking spaces available (more yellow lines), will not guarantee a space outside your house and will incur additional hassle and cost when dealing with tradesmen / visitors / skips etc. This may be worth it but it really depends on how many non-locals / commuters are parking in your street.

All you are doing with a CPZ is pushing the problem elsewhere, and charging residents that previously didn't have to pay for their parking.

Please fight CPZs

jimlad48 Wrote:

> How many times does it have to be said that

> Southwark gets no profit from CPZ. Anyone with

> proof to the contrary needs to contact the police

> with this evidence.

>

>

> Dog Kennel Hill parking is a major issue at the

> moment, so not surprised it is going in.

mikeb Wrote:

> Of course parking fine revenues are greater than

> the immediate cost of enforcing the regulations.

> As I understand it, the requirement is for

> councils to 'invest' net revenue raised into local

> transport improvements.

>

> But (a) improving transport is already a

> responsibility of councils and (b) cash is

> fungible, so diverting parking revenues to this

> activity means other cash can be freed up. So

> economically, it is indistinguishable from

> maximising parking fines to generate revenue for

> the council.

>

> Implementing a CPZ will reduce total parking

> spaces available (more yellow lines), will not

> guarantee a space outside your house and will

> incur additional hassle and cost when dealing with

> tradesmen / visitors / skips etc. This may be

> worth it but it really depends on how many

> non-locals / commuters are parking in your street.

I have heard this rubbish a number of times from people opposed to the CPZ I helped campaign for. Strangely though we have gone from an area where noise was intolerable at all hours due to commuter cars finding spaces, and where we regularly could not find a space among 6 streets over a roughly 1/2 mile area at any time of day to suddenly having peace, quiet and more parking spaces than has been seen in over a decade 7 days per week.

Getting a CPZ has made a life changing difference to our area, spacea are up, noise is down and stress levels decrease dramatically as suddenly only residents are allowed to park. I cannot emphasise enough.how goood it is to be in a CPZ.

jimlad48 Wrote:

> The problem on DKH is that a couple of other CPZs

> started up this year, which started in response to

> parking pressure from other CPZs elsewhere. There

> is real competition for space during the day, so

> its not surprising the residents voted for it.

Reading the documents it's not a clear cut case of the residents voting for it. 10 of the 24 roads voted against but they all got included. And on some roads the voting figures were for example 5 in favour vs 4 against when the vast majority of residents didn't vote. Under 50% of those who voted were in favour. I'm not against CPZs per se (and actually would really benefit from one on our road which is out of this zone). But it does seem to be being imposed on a lot of residents who are not in favour.

jimlad48 Wrote:

> mikeb Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Of course parking fine revenues are greater

> than

> > the immediate cost of enforcing the regulations.

>

> > As I understand it, the requirement is for

> > councils to 'invest' net revenue raised into

> local

> > transport improvements.

> >

> > But (a) improving transport is already a

> > responsibility of councils and (b) cash is

> > fungible, so diverting parking revenues to this

> > activity means other cash can be freed up. So

> > economically, it is indistinguishable from

> > maximising parking fines to generate revenue

> for

> > the council.

> >

> > Implementing a CPZ will reduce total parking

> > spaces available (more yellow lines), will not

> > guarantee a space outside your house and will

> > incur additional hassle and cost when dealing

> with

> > tradesmen / visitors / skips etc. This may be

> > worth it but it really depends on how many

> > non-locals / commuters are parking in your

> street.

>

> I have heard this rubbish a number of times from

> people opposed to the CPZ I helped campaign for.

> Strangely though we have gone from an area where

> noise was intolerable at all hours due to commuter

> cars finding spaces, and where we regularly could

> not find a space among 6 streets over a roughly

> 1/2 mile area at any time of day to suddenly

> having peace, quiet and more parking spaces than

> has been seen in over a decade 7 days per week.

>

> Getting a CPZ has made a life changing difference

> to our area, spacea are up, noise is down and

> stress levels decrease dramatically as suddenly

> only residents are allowed to park. I cannot

> emphasise enough.how goood it is to be in a CPZ.

What are the hours of your CPZ please

@ Jimlad - I think my post was pretty balanced - it depends on the circumstances but most of East Dulwich will not benefit. Maybe your streets were previously attracting parking for the hospital, the art college or the school. Where do you think the unwanted car parkers came from and where were they displaced to?

I have lived on a road where a CPZ was introduced and it remains the only place I have had my car towed away in 25 years of driving.

Our zone is all day long.

Previously we had commuters and hospital parkers - they've now gone elsewhere. I'm sorry for the areas that got them instead, but thats not my problem. I want peace and quiet on my road, not suffering so someone else can have it. Yes thats selfish, but after years of hell, I am revelling in the peace that a CPZ brings.

As one of those in the affected area I have to say I'm delighted we're getting a CPZ. It's got to the point where I can't do a school run on a rainy day because when I get back ten minutes later there will be no parking spaces at all. You can see vulture commuters coming from out of area to use Denmark Hill station driving around and around our streets waiting for a space to open up. One parked in a neighbour's *driveway* the other day when pressure was at maximum.

edanna: it's worth noting that in a lot of the areas there are houses with driveways who themselves have no parking problems. I can readily imagine they'll vote against a CPZ ? but that doesn't mean there isn't a genuine problem.

I do hope that your parking wish is met.

I to am in the new DKH CPZ, and it would appear from Cllr Barbers post that the CPZ for me will be operating from

11-1, whilst all other areas are all day.

What this means is you will go out, come back and still not find a space until 11 as traffic will still be pushed over.

I am trying to find out from Southwark if this is correct, but no luck at the moment, no response.

Whilst I did not want a CPZ it has to be the future with all other free areas being closed down.

For Chadwick Road it will be business as usual looking for a residential home space because traffic will still come overnight and early morning.

Does anyone know what the hours are and if as above why we are different from the "toastrack" that started all this.

All CPZ hours should be the same.

Dont blame us on the toastrack - we blame Vestry and Southampton Way for starting it!

11-1 does make a big difference as all the commuters stop coming - its actually easier in some ways than other areas, so you've not done too badly. Just wander around the areas where it is already in place and you'll see the difference.

Great news. I live in the area and parking is now dreadful Monday to Friday. It used to just affect the roads nearer the station but the whole area clogs up now. As mentioned earlier if you try use your car during the commuter hours, you'll struggle to find anywhere to park when you return.

jimlad48 Wrote:

> Dont blame us on the toastrack - we blame Vestry

> and Southampton Way for starting it!

>

> 11-1 does make a big difference as all the

> commuters stop coming - its actually easier in

> some ways than other areas, so you've not done too

> badly. Just wander around the areas where it is

> already in place and you'll see the difference.

You are all day no open window for people parking. Makes a big difference.

Should be all day like all the surrounding roads.

All day I have no problem with. East Dulwich next on the hit list.

Hi spider69,

If 11am-1pm Mon-Fri works by stopping commuter parking then why would you want longer parking restrictions?

If it doesn't work then that would be picked up in feedback early on and the hours could be mannered.

In Herne Hill the CPZ's work noon-2pm and residents I've spoken to there seem happy with this.

Commuters went out of the picture a while back.

Residents no longer move their cars because they cannot get back any free spaces are quickly filled with people waiting.

I want longer parking restrictions so I can be assured that there will be parking available. With double yellow lines going in, meter parking space, it is already being lost.

If 11-1 or 12-2 works why have the other CPZ's not been changed and why was the "Toastrack" implemeted as all day when it is the next street across?

As for Southwark changing something once it goes in I would not hold my breath.

Why are residents not listened to in these matters. They requested all day why does Southwark know better.