Does anyone ever eat in Cafe El Passo?

I've eaten there - never been back. Was Ok for what it is but something was definately not quite right. The loo was upstairs and to get there it felt like I was going through the family's dining room with the family all eating their tea. Unusual to say the least.

citizen

I heard the food is so-so but the cocktails are good. Amazed at myself for not having been there yet as I'm a tex-mex/mexican food nut. I'm pretty sure 'El Passo' is only supposed to have one 's', though, which has put me off a bit!

Maybe we should have the forum Cinco de Mayo celebrations there next year?! (I'm kidding)

Went there a couple of weeks back on a Saturday evening and it was pretty full. Okay so it's tacky TexMex, but 4 of us had tasty, filling food, a jug of very nice sangria (sp?) and a couple of beers for under ?70, I don't think that's at all bad, and we all enjoyed it (tu)

Me and Mrs Rob - and various SE22 affiliates - have eaten in there quite a few times. It is the tackiest thing since the invention of glue-topped tacks, but the margaritas are very strong and the pefectly adequate food soaks them up with the minimum of fuss. Personally, I LOVE the fact it looks like it's been transplanted from Cleethorpes circa 1978...

I'm sorry, it reminds me of the Eurovision song contest i.e. BEYOND A JOKE. It is the Fawlty Towers of Mexican restaurants. On my one and only visit I was seated next to a decaying crocodile skin held together with masking tape. The service was bad and the food was proper 1970s awful. The place was filthy too. You would have to have a lot of those cocktails to want to go there again. Is the fact that it's often empty really so surprising?

They also have a bar / room upstairs which is never used... I've always dreamt of putting on "club nights" (ie: me playing mouldy folk, goth-pop and sprightly reggae to little or no repsonse) there.

I lived in Cleethorpes circa 1978 and I can assure you that a Mexican Restaurant was way off the radar back then. We did have 1 indian restaurant though where you had to where a tie to get in.

I've eaten in El Passo twice, and both times the "boil in the bag" style rice have put me off.

Must be the only restaurant on Lordship Lane that I haven't eaten in. I can't say I'm a great lover of Mexican food, so it just hasn't appealed to me. My sister and brother-in-law went in there last week though and said it was pretty good, especially the Margaritas but that ain't saying much.