Childhood memories of East Dulwich 1930s?

Hello everyone - new to this forum, and seeking information about and from people who lived in the area up to 90 years ago for a history project. It's a long shot, but I'm hoping there may just still be enough people alive to share their tales, or have shared their tales with relatives who can remember them...

I'm doing a dissertation on a set of children's homes that were blended into the community in ordinary houses, in what I call the 'triangle' between Lordship Lane, Goose Green and Peckham Rye up to the 1930s. The children typically attended the schools in Adys Road, Goodrich Road and Friern(?) Road, and although fostered in houses of about 15 kids, were meant to interact with the rest of the community and become 'good' citizens. I'm hoping to find out from the people whether this actually happened or not. Most of the children were from extremely poor backgrounds, and were either orphans or had parents in the workhouses (of which there were three in the general area).

I look forward to hearing from anyone who may have a lead, no matter how tenuous!

Thanks muchly in advance...

Nina

I remember whilst doing my research module at University, that I also discovered a number of children's homes in East Dulwich. This surprised me, but further research using the local history archives in Borough High street and other archives, indicated that many children had parents in Dulwich Hospital which was classed as the Workhouse Hospital. The same people who ran the children's homes also had a home in Newlands Park (Sydenham/Penge borders) where my stepmother and her siblings were sent after the death of their parents. Unfortunately my stepmother is now 96, very deaf and demented so cannot ask her about education.

The workhouse hospital was originally called St. Francis hospital. It was situated at the end of Constance Road which was later renamed St. Francis road. It then became a geriatric hospital. Much later it was renamed Dulwich North. It was linked to Dulwich South by a tunnel under the railway which is still there although blocked off.