Christmas tree disposal

Does anyone know of any places to dispose of/ recycle a Christmas tree in the Peckham/Ed area?

I had a look on the Southwark Council website but as we don?t have a food/garden waste bin collection the only option seems to be the recycling center on the Old Kent Road.

I believe Peckham Rye Park used to take them but I can?t find any info online..

Thank you!

There are a fair few mid-to-large trees outside houses around here, left by inconsiderate people. It's really easy to trip over them, especially when it's dark (most of the time right now) or if you have children/pets, let alone if you are disabled in any way. Be nice when you're being green!

Hi, just to say it's not people being inconsiderate leaving trees out (unless they are blocking the footpath), if you go onto Southwark council website it tells you what to do with Christmas trees, one of the options being: "If you have a food and garden waste collection real Christmas trees can be collected as part of your normal household collection, simply leave it by your bin on collection day".

Hi Nigello, completely take your point but all I'm saying is that most people have just left them out as they know the council is collecting them rather than just leaving them on the street and hoping they'll disappear, from someone who did leave their tree in the front yard last year and didn't get it collected then I understand them being left out! However I would re-iterate its def not acceptable for them to block the footpath..

All you need to do is leave it out on the food/garden waste collection day.

gillfitzo Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Does anyone know of any places to dispose of/

> recycle a Christmas tree in the Peckham/Ed area?

> I had a look on the Southwark Council website but

> as we don?t have a food/garden waste bin

> collection the only option seems to be the

> recycling center on the Old Kent Road.

>

> I believe Peckham Rye Park used to take them but I

> can?t find any info online..

>

> Thank you!

But by "out" you mean "out of the house" not "out on the pavement" unless you are one of those few people who have to have the bins on the street because the garden slopes. There are a few selfish types who have acres of space in their yards/gardens but leave their bins out because they CBA to bring them in, so they think that because the bins are there then the tree ought to be there too.

It's a drag for those with kids, pets on leads, or who are less strong of sight or body so, if you have a bin/tree out on the footpath and you know they shouldn't be there, do something about it please.

Agreed its a total pain, I took our tree down last week in time for collection and it was gone the same day (from the front of my house not dumped on the street)

Now there are loads of trees that won?t get collection till mid week littering the street - was tempted to start throwing a few back over walls as we dodged around them with the buggy yesterday...

Hi Nigello,

Put the Christmas tree wherever you put the brown caddy or brown wheelie bin. Preferably not on the pavement obstructing it but clearly visible for the crews going round.

On the general point about where wheelie bins should be stored. They should be in front gardens unless you don't have one. Occupying the pavement looks rubbish. The more pristine an area looks and the more an area looks looked after the less anti social stuff happens and the less crime happens.

Very interesting point from James about wheelie bins needing to be stored off the pavement. I would say that about half the residents on East Dulwich leave them out on the pavement permanently. And yet, despite the fact that there are so many bins to choose from, there's still plenty of litter. A visitor of mine from overseas couldn't understand the massive number of bins on the street. I would like to see some targeted reminders at people who leave their bins on the street. What James says about the benefits on keeping the bins off the pavement does not to be a widely understood one. Leave them on the pavement / don't bother to learn the days they need to be brought out seems to be the cultural norm these days in London.

The part of Dunstan's from Goodrich up to the fork with Upland has loads of bins on the road. Most the gardens have space for them, but they simply CBA to put them back in. Lord knows what it must be like for young children and parents/carers of them of a morning and afternoon at school times. I agree that it looks naff and will attract more dumping (even, er, the kind from our canine friends....)

But as I orginally suggested ,if your property has no brown bin why not look on line and find out what day the brown bin collection is for your nearest neighbour and put your tree out then ?

Garden waste is collected weekly .I do think it's a bit off chucking a tree out on to the pavement just after the weekly collection so that it's an obstruction for everyone else( but cleared away for you and out of your home ) for several days .

The local vendors of trees ought to think about offering to collect them the first week after Christmas. It would be easy to take a mobile No from all buyers and then mass text, asking them to leave their tree out on a particular day - only one choice so it stays simple - by returning their full address. The ones who sell and make money for the hospice seem particularly community minded, so if they are reading this - what say? It'd be a nice gesture and would add to their reputation as being thoughtful of the local area.

I can?t imagine the margins would cover that! But maybe charge an extra 5 quid and get collection afterwards?

Nigello Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The local vendors of trees ought to think about

> offering to collect them the first week after

> Christmas. It would be easy to take a mobile No

> from all buyers and then mass text, asking them to

> leave their tree out on a particular day - only

> one choice so it stays simple - by returning their

> full address. The ones who sell and make money for

> the hospice seem particularly community minded, so

> if they are reading this - what say? It'd be a

> nice gesture and would add to their reputation as