East Dulwich Collect Plus issue

Sue

Admin, please move if not in the correct section.

I have just lugged a John Lewis return package weighing nearly a stone down to the Collect Plus point at the V7 Local (just past Memsaab on Lordship Lane). It meets all the weight and dimension criteria to be returned via Collect Plus.

I was told parcels had to be taken there in the mornings only because they "have no space" in the afternoons.

When I asked where was a notice to this effect, they said there wasn't one. They point blank refused to accept it, and told me there was another Collect Plus in Barry Road (which I knew).

There was no way I could carry it from there to Barry Road, and as it was I had to carry it all the way home again.

I am really upset. How are they allowed to be a Collect Plus point if they have no space to Collect?

Anyway, if you are using this place, be warned. Don't take anything there in the afternoon.

That?s so annoying. Probably won?t be much help in this case but would suggest you get in contact with Collect Plus to let them know this particular point is not operating as per their advertising. Collect Plus say on their website their pick up points are open early to late 7 days a week and V7?s opening hours are given as 6.30am to 7 pm. https://www.collectplus.co.uk

nxjen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> That?s so annoying. Probably won?t be much help

> in this case but would suggest you get in contact

> with Collect Plus to let them know this particular

> point is not operating as per their advertising.

> Collect Plus say on their website their pick up

> points are open early to late 7 days a week and

> V7?s opening hours are given as 6.30am to 7 pm.

> https://www.collectplus.co.uk

Yes, thank you nxjen, I will.

I may let John Lewis know, as well.

I?ve also experienced bad service from V7. They told me (shouted from back of shop to me at the door) to leave my buggy outside when I came into the shop to collect a John Lewis parcel. Erm no way I?m leaving my kids out on Lordship Lane, so obviously I shouted back saying fine come up here and bring me my parcel. They didn?t and said ok bring your buggy in. Very strange.

Hi Sue

I understand what you mean, I had the same issue with my local collect plus (Shirley), and told them they needed to let collect+ know, they were not able to take large or heavy parcels. They started taking large parcels from me after that.

I lugged down my old virgin media TiVo box & router, and then when I arrived with the package, and walked to the counter, I was asked if I wanted to buy anything. When I said no & I just wanted to drop off the package I was told the collectplus point was no longer working. It might have been a coincidence but the guy was particularly unhelpful about the whole thing. I left thinking there was no way I would ever be going back. I?m still annoyed weeks later!

It's worth considering that the Collect Plus shops probably get paid very little for each item handled, which do each require scanning and issuing of a receipt. They are probably sold on being Collect Plus by suggestions that this will bring in new custom, which I guess it does only occasionally. So whilst it's annoying, it's hardly surprising that some outlets find the work required (including finding a place to store parcels which might otherwise have been occupied by stock which could be sold) not worth a candle, particularly when people bringing in parcels are 'getting in the way of' their real paying customers.

I contacted Connect + via Facebook, and had a prompt and polite reply, however it said that "it sounds like this store may have had a surplus of parcels and were awaiting our driver to make a collection to grant them more space."

I have pointed out that as I was told that they never take parcels in the afternoon, this wasn't a one-off situation.

Anyway, they are passing on my comments to their stores management team, who will contact V7 to see if they can "improve their storage capacity moving forwards." (presumably as opposed to moving backwards :))).

I shan't be using V7 ever again so it's irrelevant to me, however hopefully things may improve for others.

ETA: If anybody else has had problems with Collect+ at this shop, it might be a good time to let Collect+ know. I couldn't find an email address or contact form on their website, but you can contact them via Facebook (as I did) or Twitter.

I have previously complained about this shop to Collect Plus. Rude owner. I had a spate of taking parcels there for my business. He completely blanks you even as a repeat customer - is in fact borderline hostile, not sure his face has ever cracked a smile. One time I went in he refused to take a Collect Plus parcel; on another the woman behind the counter clearly had no idea what I was doing there with my parcel, could not speak English, and started raising her voice as I politely headed for the door (with parcel). I second the recommendation for Barry's in Barry Road, where I now go - always friendly and efficient; also busy (unlike V7 - funny, that).

sidebirds Wrote:

> Same here! I'll take a detour and a friendly human

> interaction over convenience with a side-serving

> of rudeness and incompetence every time.

Yep. It's a bit further for me to go, but definitely worth it.

I| have had issues with this shop and owner too, so much so that I refuse to use CollectPlus at all now.

I went to collect a parcel and had to wait over 5 minutes while he had a loud conversation on the phone right in front of me without even acknowledging me. Beyond rude.

Avoid at all costs!

This is beginning to feel like a witch hunt. I've used V7 about half a dozen times for collect plus and never had an issue. One wonders if Sue's parcel had been much smaller, and hadn't had to be "lugged" there and back, whether the reaction would be the same.

Sure it's irritating and shouldn't be how it operates, but is it really necessary to vilify a local business based on one experience ?

It isn't one experience, is it?

It is several people's.

The man was rude and unhelpful and said they only took parcels in the morning.

How is complaining about that a witch hunt?!

ETA: If any business is consistently not providing the service they advertise, then they should not be running that business.

ETA: And yes it was worse because of the weight of the parcel - I was practically in tears when I realised he was refusing to take it and I had to carry it home again, as it was an effort to get it there in the first place - but that's not the point.

He told me they didn't take parcels in the afternoon, full stop.

You've only had one bad experience and you contacted Collect+ to complain after two other forum posts which you have taken on face value. You're then encouraging others to complain too. Unreasonable in my view by hey you go ahead if you want. And yes I do think the size and weight of your parcel has influenced your reaction.

Ok you are entitled to your point of view, as so am I and so are others.

The other people's experiences had nothing to do with my complaint to Collect Plus, and I did not mention them in my complaint.

The complaint was that this shop said that they did not take parcels in the afternoons.

If you are going to criticise me, it would be helpful if you got your facts right.

I suggested on here that if others had had problems it might be a good time to let Collect Plus know, purely because they were already going to have a look at the situation in this shop.

If you look at the thread you will see that one person posting here had already complained to Collect Plus about their own bad experience.

And as for taking things at face value, are you suggesting these posters are lying? Why would they?

I'm glad you have not had problems, but I and others have.

I'm reminded of this thread on a similar issue, but at a different shop: http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?30,1822325. From a rather limited sample of two I'm wondering if there's a common theme; maybe retailers sometimes finding the contracts less rewarding and more demanding than they'd anticipated. Or maybe it's just the kind of transaction that's more likely to occasionally disclose stress anyway. But that's no good excuse for not properly advertising any restrictions they've felt constrained to apply.

ianr Wrote:

> I'm reminded of this thread on a similar issue,

> but at a different shop:

> http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?3

> 0,1822325. From a rather limited sample of two I'm

> wondering if there's a common theme; maybe

> retailers sometimes finding the contracts less

> rewarding and more demanding than they'd

> anticipated. Or maybe it's just the kind of

> transaction that's more likely to occasionally

> disclose stress anyway. But that's no good excuse

> for not properly advertising any restrictions

> they've felt constrained to apply.

Yes, exactly.

If there had been a notice, or a notification on the collect plus website, that collection was mornings only, there would have been no issue.

I would have taken the parcel down the next day.

ETA: I just looked at the other thread, and the shop I referred to in that thread was not V7 but the newsagent further up Lordship Lane, on the same side but beyond M&S.

Who were perfectly fine when I went to collect a parcel but did not buy anything in the shop.