What makes East Dulwich special - your input needed!

eastDAG

We are part of a local community group working with the High Street Challenge. We are keen to find out how people feel about the area, and we'd really appreciate it if you could spend a minute answering a few questions on what you think makes East Dulwich so special. Thank you!

The link to the survey is below:

EAST DULWICH ACTION GROUP

The East Dulwich Action Group is comprised of local residents and businesses working together to deliver Southwark Council's High Street Challenge Initiative, provide a sense of identity to East Dulwich and promote the area to residents and visitors alike.

Before completing your questionnaire, it would be helpful if you could advise what the aims of your group are, it?s a bit vague at the moment and could cover all sorts of scenarios. The reason I?m asking is that about a year ago money was allocated from Southwark to provide banners from lamp-posts which in the main would benefit local businesses (if indeed they are of any benefit at all!) rather than residents.

Thanks.

REALLY, can't see what you're going to gain from the questions you've asked, looks more a way of capturing peoples details.

Now how about EXPLAINING what the purpose of the questions is and what you are ACTUALLY trying to achieve??????????????? As clearly YOUR statement "We are keen to find out how people feel about the area, and we'd really appreciate it if you could spend a minute answering a few questions on what you think makes East Dulwich so special. Thank you!" - Is mis-leading, untrue and well quite honestly false.

This survey asks only one question (supplemented by another) actually about East Dulwich, the remainder looks at social and general media usage. It asks almost no demographic questions (the age question is not broken into groupings, unusually) nor does it ask about sex, ethnicity, family size or status, connections to ED, length of residence (if any) etc. There is virtually no analyzable material being gathered. If it is anything it is an attempt to build a picture of useful marketing media, with a trawl to get respondent ID - any 'proper' market research survey (and indeed social research survey) would entirely separate response details from responder identities, with the latter not being made available to the principals commissioning the survey.

At best this is a list building exercise. By all means respond if you want to be marketed to, but don't expect the information being gathered to change or improve anything in ED.

I see OP has edited their original post to add :

>

> EAST DULWICH ACTION GROUP

> The East Dulwich Action Group is comprised of

> local residents and businesses working together to

> deliver Southwark Council's High Street Challenge

> Initiative, provide a sense of identity to East

> Dulwich and promote the area to residents and

> visitors alike.

As has been pointed out the High Street Challenge has now closed but this may be for a project approved before it closed. Is this in fact about delivery of the previously mentioned banners?

As a "local community group" applying for or using Council funds I assume EDAG will have a proper constitution, officers, minutes of meetings etc. I can't find anything recently on google, though this posting on EDF from 2009 suggested EDAG was related to the East Dulwich Society that was wound up last year after having being inactive for over 5 years

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,354817

So, who are you, what is your mandate and where is your web site?

"provide a sense of identity to East Dulwich and promote the area to residents and visitors alike."

My family have lived in and around East Dulwich since the 1940's and it already has a very strong sense of identity to those who live and work here. The area "promotes" itself by being left to develop slowly and independently of too much corporate commerce and being a place where a wide demographic of people are able to live and work.

I also think Southwark as a London borough scores highly when it comes to resources, recycling, ease of access, etc. So leave us alone please!

The East Dulwich Action Group was created in the early 1990?s as an informal group made up of traders, residents, Councillors and the local MP. It initially came together in response to a proposal to tighten parking restrictions on Lordship Lane to aid the passage of buses at a time when local traders were under a perceived threat from the newly opened Sainsburys. It was also involved in trying to rejuvenate the North Cross Road market, campaigned for Christmas lights and took a view on various traffic schemes - including one where an option was to remove the roundabout at the end of Lordship Lane (or at least reduce its size significantly).

I?ve no idea if this is the same organisation involving some of the same people but, if it is, they have certainly done useful work in the past.

I'm very doubtful it's the same group. They haven't replied to questions regarding how they're constituted or with more specific details about the High Street Challenge they say they're involved with. My hunch is that whatever it's about, it's focussed on marketing/branding to promote businesses with little, if any, benefit to residents. I don't go along with the proposition that a thriving high street that becomes a shopping destination for those outside the area is good for residents.

the OP was online a few minutes ago- surely an opportune time to clarify and answer any questions raised in this thread ?

At best, this is shonky and unprofessional for any group to approach an issue in this manner.let's hope we can get some background to what this is about before whatever is being promoted is further devalued.

I don't go along with the proposition that a thriving high street that becomes a shopping destination for those outside the area is good for residents.

It very much resides whether you want just local shops for local people (which normally means reduced ranges/ choice because it's not e.g. economic to carry a wide range for a limited clientele) or whether you want shops which are more vibrant etc. - in which case you need to pull in from a wider catchment area. If you look at the shopping areas locally other than LL you will see many shops closing and being turned into housing etc. because there aren't enough people coming there to make them economic. When I arrived in the area, 30 years ago, the shops were far more run-down, with a lot of second hand pram shops etc. Keep visitors out and we can get back to that, over time - although with current retail rent expectations I would guess we will need to go through a (possibly long) period of boarded up shops etc. In modern economies the status quo isn't an option - you go up or you go down. Which do you want for LL?

eastDAG Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> We are part of a local community group working

> with the High Street Challenge. We are keen to

> find out how people feel about the area, and we'd

> really appreciate it if you could spend a minute

> answering a few questions on what you think makes

> East Dulwich so special. Thank you!

>

> The link to the survey is below:

>

>

> EAST DULWICH ACTION GROUP

> The East Dulwich Action Group is comprised of

> local residents and businesses working together to

> deliver Southwark Council's High Street Challenge

> Initiative, provide a sense of identity to East

> Dulwich and promote the area to residents and

> visitors alike.

you were here again 4 minutes ago - it is in your profile tracker - why are you not responding to legitimate questions raised ?

flocker spotter Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> eastDAG Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > We are part of a local community group working

> > with the High Street Challenge. We are keen to

> > find out how people feel about the area, and

> we'd

> > really appreciate it if you could spend a

> minute

> > answering a few questions on what you think

> makes

> > East Dulwich so special. Thank you!

> >

> > The link to the survey is below:

> >

> >

> > EAST DULWICH ACTION GROUP

> > The East Dulwich Action Group is comprised of

> > local residents and businesses working together

> to

> > deliver Southwark Council's High Street

> Challenge

> > Initiative, provide a sense of identity to East

> > Dulwich and promote the area to residents and

> > visitors alike.

>

>

> you were here again 4 minutes ago - it is in your

> profile tracker - why are you not responding to

> legitimate questions raised ?

How very strange - you seem to have gone into your account settings after I posted this and changed your profile so we can no longer see when you were last logged in - I wish I had taken a screenshot of your visit at 14.37 this is rather suspicious yes ?