Swim/Gym Options in ED

Hi all,

Am thinking of moving from SW London to ED or Herne Hill. I currently swim (at a Virgin Gym) several times a week, and use the gym/cardio/free weights there. I also use their facilities in central London, where I work.

I've got a bit spoiled about the facilities - particularly, and I realise this sounds a bit weird, about the use of training aids when swimming (short training fins, hand paddles, training snorkels) and usually have a lane to myself.

At the moment, JAGS sports centre and/or the Stretham DW/fitness first might be decent options.

Just wondering if any more experienced members could be brilliant and give a quick summary of the ED or HH facilities (or a little beyond) - including whether those 'swim toys' are allowed (having been stopped in a couple of facilities elsewhere). Minimum pool length would be 25 m long, with lanes/dedicated sessions/relatively empty etc.?

The alternative would be to join a proper masters swimming club - so also grateful for any thoughts about that.

Otherwise the areas/properties look excellent.

Many thanks,

pn

Hi possiblenewbie,

JAGS pool is lovely, ozone treated so v gentle on the skin and windows on 2 sides so really light (windows are not overlooked). Downsides are: limited opening times - not at all during school hours and dedicated lane swim only before 9am / after 8pm. You can lane swim 5-8pm and weekends, but at least half the pool is for general swimming/lessons so you will definitely have to share the lane and it can get crowded. In short: great if you will be swimming early morning or after 8pm, otherwise I would suggest trying it first (I think you can get a free day pass). Changing rooms are average - probably not as nice as other private gyms but better than council pools.

In the summer brockwell lido is great, not heated though so very chilly in the winter!!

Hope that's helpful

I swim at Jags - pool is very nice.

I usually go early evening between 5pm & 7pm and often only 2 or 3 other people in the lane, as mentioned above there is only one lane at that time and it is hit and miss whether the other swimmers are slow or fast but generally the lane moves well, also the general swim is often quiet so the other part of the pool is available. Only once or twice in 2 years of swimming have I got out because it was too busy.

I've been at most times, later evening has been busy or quiet you can never tell, early morning was the busiest I've ever seen it and I wouldn't go again. Swimming aids are allowed.

In school holidays lane swimming is available throughout most days.

I don't use the gym but gather it's fairly good, also some classes are included in cost of membership.

There was a swimming club called Tigersharks at Alleyn's, google to see if still there but only a few hours a week.

I highly recommmend Crystal palace pool. Its 50 m, and I use fins and floats there no problem. No idea what one poster was saying about resticted hours. THere are always 3-4 lanes available for serious swimmers 7am - 7pm

https://www.better.org.uk/leisure-centre/london/crystal-palace/crystal-palace-national-sports-centre/timetable/pool

and of course there is the 50 m lido at Brockwell park for the summer months.

Personally dont rate JAGS because of VERY restricted opening hours and short pool.

If you enjoy swimming consider joining TigerSharks http://www.tigersharksswimmingclub.co.uk/ I swim on a Sunday morning at the refurbished Alleyns pool and there are three adult lanes of varying ability/speed. There is squad training/coaching available Mondays, Thursday and Sundays both in the evenings and mornings. Your style, speed and skills will all improve and the people I swim with are all lovely. The session I do isn't competitive but the earlier one looks like it has some quick swimmers.

louisemurray Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I highly recommmend Crystal palace pool. Its 50 m,

> and I use fins and floats there no problem. No

> idea what one poster was saying about resticted

> hours. THere are always 3-4 lanes available for

> serious swimmers 7am - 7pm

> https://www.better.org.uk/leisure-centre/london/cr

> ystal-palace/crystal-palace-national-sports-centre

> /timetable/pool

>

> and of course there is the 50 m lido at Brockwell

> park for the summer months.

> Personally dont rate JAGS because of VERY

> restricted opening hours and short pool.

Hello - to clarify my earlier post about hours, it is basically the 7am-7pm hours that are frustrating if you work in town and have a young family. You are correct - during these hours it's great. However a 7am opening means I cannot swim before work and get to work on time, and the erratic evening closing hours (930pm Monday, 730pm Tuesday, 930pm Wednesday, 830pm Thursday, 7pm Friday, 5pm saturday and 3pm Sunday) means it is very hard to get there after work on a regular basis (Mon and Wed are fine for me but the others are too early).

I have asked them many times to open earlier (Crystal palace Triathletes have the pool available some morning from 6am and the gym opens at 6am), and to make lanes available on club nights (Tues).

For comparison, the Olympic Park pool, also run by Better, is open 6am to 1030pm 7 days per week.

I swim at JAGS and they don't mind paddles and pull buoys and kickboards (in fact they have loads and don't mind you borrowing them which saves bringing your own) but you'll only be allowed fins if there is no one else at all in your lane. There is Windrush triathlon club there on Friday nights - you don't need to join JAGS for that, you need to join Windrush. There's a guy called Lido Mike who runs sessions at JAGS, at the Lido and at Dulwich College. Google him.

ETA

Southwark do Swim For Fitness sessions at ED Leisure Centre and at The Elephant and Castle. Ed pool isn't great for swim training - too hot, no deep end - but better than nothing, and the elephant is quite good. The Swim for Fitness sessions are "fin and paddle friendly".