River Peck

bacgj

Since December we?ve noticed there is a new pipe going into the river Peck, at the point where it emerges into Peckham Rye Park. The attached picture seems to suggest is connected to the waste facilities of the new building.

At this point, we are a little bit concerned as children and dogs play in the river, in case it?s raw sewage.

Can anybody shed any light about this?

No septic tank would be allowed to disgorge straight into a river like that, by design they are sealed and are emptied by being pumped out. It could be a field drain outlet (used to take away excess rain water) - in which case, as long as the land isn't contaminated, it wouldn't be a problem.

bacgj Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Since December we?ve noticed there is a new pipe

> going into the river Peck, at the point where it

> emerges into Peckham Rye Park. The attached

> picture seems to suggest is connected to the waste

> facilities of the new building.

>

> At this point, we are a little bit concerned as

> children and dogs play in the river, in case it?s

> raw sewage.

>

> Can anybody shed any light about this?

Why not ask the site manager. The contractor is Neilcott. The site managers number is 07958 514211

pipsky2008 Wrote:

> bacgj Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Since December we?ve noticed there is a new

> pipe

> > going into the river Peck, at the point where

> it

> > emerges into Peckham Rye Park. The attached

> > picture seems to suggest is connected to the

> waste

> > facilities of the new building.

> >

> > At this point, we are a little bit concerned as

> > children and dogs play in the river, in case

> it?s

> > raw sewage.

> >

> > Can anybody shed any light about this?

>

> Why not ask the site manager. The contractor is

> Neilcott. The site managers number is 07958 514211

Also consider contacting Peckham Rye ward councillors, Cllr Dr Hamvas, Cllr Mills and Cllr Edwards and environmental health if you have serious concerns regarding poisoning of watercourses.

This is interesting - I had exactly the same concerns about this pipe. For years it has been there and it has just been water that came out. Since the building work started there were other materials (sand?) coming out, but I thought that it was part and parcel of the temporary land disturbance. The building seems pretty finished, but there is still occasionally some sort of pollution (cement dust? plaster dust?) I took this photo on Thursday and sent it to the park warden voicing my concerns. ( I have seen this sort of cloudiness twice before) If it is either of the above then they could be harmful to wildlife.

good idea to send to the site manager though and thank you for the number above

I don?t think is a field water drainage pipe. If you look at the picture it is a new pipe, it is connected to the new building via a large tank with a cover, which you can see in the background. Also, the material coming out is some sort of synthetic substance, picture attached.

I have written to Southwark council environmental services so the can test it.

bacgj Wrote:

> I don?t think is a field water drainage pipe. If

> you look at the picture it is a new pipe, it is

> connected to the new building via a large tank

> with a cover, which you can see in the background.

> Also, the material coming out is some sort of

> synthetic substance, picture attached.

>

> I have written to Southwark council environmental

> services so the can test it.

Did you speak to the site manager on the number I gave above?

It could be super saturated subsoil clay. that has become liquid, like a slip. Excavations can often put the subsoil on top of topsoil in ground works on back filling, if done lazily. This, if it is the case, could give the waste water a milky appearance.

In your second photo. I don't think you can necessarily come to a conclusion about the connection you have made. Do you know for sure that the two are joined.

Again, why not speak to the site manager

P.O.U.S.theWonderCat Wrote:

> What's the issue with the OP reporting to the

> council? I certainly wouldn't contact a site

> manager in that situation in case they were doing

> something they shouldn't and reacted badly.

I did suggest the OP contact Environmental health and / or Peckham Rye ward councillors in my reply to OP of the 21/1/18 P.O.U.S, if they had serious concerns about poisoning of watercourses.

Peckham Rye ward councillor, Cllr Dr Hamvas took up the matter on the 22/1/18 and said they would get back to us

I do support the OP in raising this issue and hope reports and water purity analysis data can be posted by the OP/ward councillor when received from environmental services.

Today I was with my dog at the very spot that the pipe comes out of Peck Riverbank. Lo and behold a van

Drives up with 'Drainage' emblazoned on the size. Contractors working on the site it seems?

I asked them specifically about the pipe: they said it was absolutely nothing to worry about and that it was

There to drain off excess water from the soil underneath the buildings and the surrounding area,

Designed to improve the drainage of the land and make subsidence less likely

I have sent my pictures to the site manager but no response yet. Those last images look particularly worrying

Glad the drainage people are looking into it. Of course they?ll say it?s nithing to worry about

(They won?t admit if it is !!) but fingers crossed they will put it right

kford Wrote:

> It's clay slip, as the wet ground settles.

I tend to agree, liquid clay and silt deposits. There are three other piped outlets very near by that I have seen. A couple at least that are older and concreted in.

Hi all,

below is the response I received:

There are numerous pipes that flow into the stream, some are from land drainage around the park and two are from the Sewage treatment plants that service the adventure playground and the new building. One of these can be seen in the back ground of the picture in the initial forum post. The plant uses naturally occurring micro- organisms to treat the sewage and only releases clean water. Any solid matter is removed separately as you would with a septic tank. The outlet from the adventure playground has been in place since that building was built and the testing we have had carried out to the outflow shows it is working correctly with no risk to the health of the stream.

Renata