The "Pinking" of East Dulwich???

SimonM

So I am quietly sipping my coffee outside Cafe 2050, dipping my croissant as is my wont, when along Forest Hill Road passes this hearse - a working (but empty!) one too - that has been sprayed pink. (And, yes, I would not be seen dead in one either).

A little later, on Underhill Road, I pass a white van on top of which is a rather large pink elephant in plastic or fibreglass or something. The sides of the van offer no clues as to what trade or business the driver is engaged in and I ams till racking my brains as to what a pink elephant might signify....

There has to be point to a pink elephant? Just enjoy it for inappropriately-hued pachyderm it is.

I've not seen it yet, but I bet it if I do it'll cheer me up.

PGC is spot on about the Elephant shopping centre, it was an inspired move to paint it pink.

An example that owners of other rotten old structures would do well to follow.

Hey, what's wrong with a pink hearse?

Funerals need cheering up a bit if you ask me :)

I think I shall send another email round to my family in addition to the one sent recently specifying the two songs to be sung at my funeral (hope this isn't some sort of premonition).

The Rose by Bette Midler and Hallelujah by Rufus Wainwright, since you (didn't) ask :)

Ted Max Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm sorry, Hona, but if the social utility of this

> pink elephant is not proved to me soon, I will

> have it removed from its van-mounted position,

> dismembered, and use its pedal extremities as

> stools.

>

> You can have the trunk, if you like.

Bloody hell, Ted it's all 'social utility' this, 'social utility' that with you these days. Simmer down old top.

As for the pink stools, I don't know whether to recommend you see the MO or the chaplain. It's a dilemma, I don't envy you.

The pink trunk? Thanks, the pranks and ruses I could get up to with that are fair making me rumble with glee.

I don't get it. When I pop my clogs (aged a hale 94 from my Caribbean retreat summoning a handsome young waiter with another rum punch) I want acres of black, hordes of distraught people, horses with plumes, and possibly a national day of mourning announced.

Or perhaps I'm just a total ego-maniac.

Every day is a pink day in my little world.

Thank you for reminding us of one the great film performances, the wonderful Robert Helpmann

http://api.ning.com/files/RHxJm3w9LyPsFPC5alRrkB6Mq2RRcjFsxUnJJuUNfsYTqu1gtLpIvYEe0xr6SbXjzvdasc8cVP2hujKBBZGko4MqYLnG7u64/230pxRobert_Helpmann_child_catcher_.jpg