Pot holes on Underhill rd

dimples

The pot holes on Underhill road are so bad now between frien road and Barry road . I?ve reported them to Southwark . If anyone else wouldn?t mind reporting them too maybe they?ll repair them before a motorbike or bike has a really awful accident or car gets damaged !

Underhill Road was to be resurfaced during this financial year. It has been postponed until the next financial year starting in April.

I've asked exactly when in the next FY.

The road marking at Underhill Road with dunstans Road will be renewed ASAP as it isn't clear and makes this junction even more dangerous.

I'll keep people updated via my thread.

Personally I think this is far more urgent than that - I can easily see a serious injury to a cyclist happening some time soon. Perhaps the mention of liability in such an event might change Southwark's view, especially since they are already aware of the problem. Motorists are also having to drive on the wrong side to avoid some of these holes, which is just exacerbating the situation.

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Underhill Road was to be resurfaced during this

> financial year. It has been postponed until the

> next financial year starting in April.

> I've asked exactly when in the next FY.

>

> The road marking at Underhill Road with dunstans

> Road will be renewed ASAP as it isn't clear and

> makes this junction even more dangerous.

>

> I'll keep people updated via my thread.

It seems to me that Southwark have gone mad on repairing tons of paving to use up their budget to then be allocated more funding in April. But these potholes are definitely a disaster waiting to happen .

Next week is a possiability of snow but definitely ice which will make the pot holes even worse !

This definitely should be a priority .

I?ve seen two near misses of people not familiar driving over it. One didn?t seem to notice the other stopped and seemed mortified but it is an accident waiting to happen. Will the council pay compensation if Poor signage deemed contributory? It could prove expensive if not done soon!

As I live just up from this section of road I have to cycle/drive down it most days and its like being on a slalem course, its easy to weave around on the bike (when you can see them properly in daylight that is), not so much in the car, got a shock when I went down the particularly large one, what a bang !... also there's a crumbling road hump throwing out a lot of rubble.

*edited to say "bike", not big...Urgghh autocorrect!*

FYI, I saw a Conway's lorry driving around on Friday doing temporary tarmac backfillings to potholes on Whateley Road.

There's an algorithm that assesses and determines repairs to potholes... serious risk is 2 hours, high risk is 24 hours, but medium risk can take up to 7 days, moderate risk 28 days.

The assessment depends on how deep the pothole is and how badly it's disintegrating... I'm guessing Underhill will be done this week sometime as an engineer will have to go out on site to assess and then assign the decided action to the Conway's repair list.

Bear in mind that the immediate fix is usually to temporarily backfill the hole with a blob of tarmac, just to make it safe, with a view towards repairing it properly in the future. Proper repairs should be done when the weather is warmer so that the underlay and tarmac doesn't shrink in the cold weather and fall apart again.

If there are several potholes close together then the decision to lift and reinstate a whole section of the road will be made, but this will take longer (determined by road repairs budget).

Once the temporary tarmac backfill is in place, be sure to keep bugging highways to put the area on the permanent repair list...

Can someone post here when the holes are filled with lumps of tarmac, as I'm genuinely curious as to how well the system is working these days (sorry, I'm a highways geek)...

Will be interesting to see if the temporary tarmac blobs are implemented today, which is 7 calendar days from the 29th, or whether it will happen on Weds 7th, which is 7 days from the 31st when it looks like more people plus councillors reported.

It always helps for as many people as possible to unite and report anything in tandem, as that tends to generate more attention from highways engineers/council officers...

Just to add that there is a trade off in terms of insurance premiums Southwark pay to their insurers Gallaghers versus repairs. Premiums have been rising as number of claims rise due to disrepair.

On the point about repairing paving and seemingly less frequently used roads, this is what happens when you don't decide as the client what your works programme is but allow an imbedded Conways programme manager to steer this. This one of the consequences of austerity i.e. no very few staff, was 54 in 2005, now less than 10. In Lewisham even worse only 5 staff left, last year there was 25.

I wouldn't like to say how many food safety inspectors are left to inspect all the food premises protecting public health, it might make the fine people of Dulwich choke on their vegetarian rostis!

These are the hidden cuts (whilst focus on NHS, schools and other popularist media topics)that eventually emerge as the bone is cut through to the marrow.

ORC

Temporary tarmac filling doesn't last very long - the pot hole on the roundabout in Dulwich village at the top of Burbage Road has been filled twice this year, but the tarmac just comes straight out again. False economy in my view...

Does anyone have a bright yellow paint spray can to spray around the edges of the holes in this area? Just rode home on motorcycle in the dark. Fortunately swerved around them but fortunately nothing coming towards me, or I may have had to have braked and gone into it. And maybe fallen off, hurt self, sued council etc etc. So if anyone can paint spray that'dbe fab. I have now reported this to council too.

That?s a really good idea (I?m away or I?d do it myself) but how ridiculous we can?t depend on the relevant authorities to sort it out.

PeckhamRose Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Does anyone have a bright yellow paint spray can

> to spray around the edges of the holes in this

> area? Just rode home on motorcycle in the dark.

> Fortunately swerved around them but fortunately

> nothing coming towards me, or I may have had to

> have braked and gone into it. And maybe fallen

> off, hurt self, sued council etc etc. So if

> anyone can paint spray that'dbe fab. I have now

> reported this to council too.