East Dulwich - Moorgate commute

klh

I am biased: I am moving away from ED because I find the train service has worsened materially over the last 2 years.

Not everyone agrees with me, though.

Up to you to make up your own mind.

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,1765183,1888656#msg-1888656

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,1797543,1837614#msg-1837614

I mostly commute by bike but occasionally use the train. Outside of the strike period it seems reasonably reliable to me and then you have a choice of tube, bus or walking. ED station to Moorgate should take you around 35-45 minutes. never have an issue getting a seat on the 7:30 or 7:50.

It's an easy journey. Train from ED station to London Bridge, then switch to tube and take northern line to Moorgate. It's a bit of a hike through London Bridge - not as quick as crossing a platform. I think you'll be fine if you find somewhere within walking distance of ED station, but I'd suggest trying the route a couple of times before you move.

Southern trains have been dire for last two years but improving. Still maddening when there's a cancellation and you have to use the bus instead.

I haven't done it in a while but my recollection is that it can take longer to get from the London Bridge rail platform to the tube platform, than from ED to London Bridge. This is typical of other London stations, too.

I prefer the bus from London Bridge to the City. YMMV. Or maybe the Overground to Shoreditch then a bus?

I go to London Wall - when I catch public transport I take train from Denmark Hill to City Thameslink and walk. For Moorgate the walk would be about 10 mins from CT. I find it much better than trying to navigate London bridge and then the tube.

I work in Moorgate.

The quickest route - when everything is working - is still the train into London Bridge then northern line to Moorgate. It usually takes 10 minutes or so to get down to the tube platform and actually get on a train. Or you can walk from London Bridge in around 20 mins (allow 25 mins at peak time for getting past the hordes of shuffling phone zombies).

But if you are walkable to Peckham Rye, you can also get the overground to Shoreditch High St or the train to City Thameslink. They are both a 15 min walk from Moorgate. Southern trains are unreliable, so having alternatives is very handy.

Don't bother trying to catch the Hammersmith & City between Whitechapel and Moorgate. Too infrequent.

It depends. Not all trains from Victoria to Denmark Hill stop at Peckham Rye. Not sure about Thameslink - worth double checking. Peckham Rye is not accessible - if you plan on reproducing and using the station with a pram, good luck! And the station + the area immediately outside the station is much more, mmm, scruffy in Peckham Rye than in East Dulwich.

Of course different people will attribute different importance to these points.

Another vote for ED to London Bridge, although I would take the bus over the tube these days. Since bank junction was closed to non-bus traffic the bus only takes about 10 mins from LB to Moorgate, so should be quicker and much more pleasant than navigating the tube.

doogsey Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Another vote for ED to London Bridge, although I

> would take the bus over the tube these days. Since

> bank junction was closed to non-bus traffic the

> bus only takes about 10 mins from LB to Moorgate,

> so should be quicker and much more pleasant than navigating the tube.

I think time-wise, there really isn't much in it between tube, bus and walking.

My own experience of the bus (I often use it when I planned to walk but wuss out because of the weather) is that it is very rarely as quick as that - but then, I usually have to travel at the absolute peak of rush hour. But I do think it's probably the most comfortable option.

• 2 weeks later...

I do this exact commute, however I travel early so get the first train (6:02 from ED) and then the bus to Moorgate (goes from just outside the station so I find quicker than going underground), but when the trains are cancelled / delayed there are lots of options. I usually hop on whichever bus comes first and do either of the following:

- 185 to Oval then Northern Line to Moorgate (this is usually quickest, can take 35 mins)

- 176 to Elephant & Castle, then either bus to Moorgate (133) or Northern Line

- 40 to London Bridge then change on to one of the many buses which goes to Liv St / Moorgate

Admittedly the buses might take longer in rush hour. Coming home during peak times I nearly always go Northern Line to LB then train to ED, if you time it right and no delays this takes 40-45 minutes.

I was nervous about moving to the area with the commute but actually there are lots of options and I've been amazed how well connected it is with buses too, other options as those mention above are Thameslink to Denmark Hill / Overground from Shoreditch to Peckham or Forest Hill...