Trossachs Road area intermittent high pitched noise night and day.

Alec1

Wondered if anyone else is hearing this loud quite high pitched noise that occurs during daytime and at night and through the night. It's loud enough to be heard through double glazing. I have recorded it, so it's not in my head. ;-) http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=09155437182489084179

Anyone know what it could be? I wondered if it was something to do with all the school building work.

seems a bit odd that it goes off during day time and night time at intermittent / irregular times though? I am not familiar with them but it is very loud and very disturbing at night. I wouldn't say that it is sonic at all. This reminds me of an industrial refrigeration unit whine

I don't think so no, it's a very stable continuous tone. I might have to actually get outside and see if I can follow where it comes from. It is very annoying and although I am not ready to do any gardening yet, it would drive me crazy if I was. I usually have my bedroom window open a bit at night, whatever the weather, but I can't with this noise and even with window closed if it is happening when I am trying to get to sleep I have to put on a sleep app to drown it out!

Just to give an idea of night time noise. Maybe this is a fox deterrent....but if I can hear it and record the sound as in my first post then surely it isn't sonic?

0024 - 0028

0312-0317

0321- 0324

0425 0435

Basically not a good nights sleep!

Thanks for adding the recording to the OP. I tried uploading it to https://academo.org/demos/spectrum-analyzer/, which shows a fairly pure single tone a bit below 1.5 kHz, and then tried matching it by ear against tones generated at http://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/. I make it about 1250 Hz, but haven't found anything on Google mentiong noise at that frequency. I take it you're sure that it's not from inside the house. Do you have any kind of tube that you put to one ear, with the other one preferably blocked, while rotating yourself outside the house, to see if you can get any idea of what direction it's coming from? Maybe a bit of pipe or kitchen roll? One of the night time slots might be best. ;)

I've just been experimenting indoors, on the 1250 Hz tone from the computer, using a 225 x 45 mm cardboard cylinder from a kitchen towel. It was pretty sensitive, in that changing locations and direction pointed had a marked effect in intensity. But it was pretty rubbish and misleading in direction finding. That was probably due to the quirks of sound reflection in a furnished room though, and it might be more efficient outside.

that's interesting ianr.......I can definitely say it's not within my flat plus, as the volume goes down when I shut my window and goes up when I open it and very loud in my garden. I have to be honest and say I was glad that it can be heard on recording as I have had a few moments when I thought it was in my head! I will try the tube idea if it starts up again tonight. I have been out so not heard it....yet! I may also take a walk out if it wakes me to see if I can get a better pinpoint too.

so just had a listen outside and a walk around the top of road into Thornecombe and Tarbet road. It's 100% coming from either the garden or a house on Tarbet road backing on to the gardens of Trossachs. It's very loud at the bottom of my garden and to the left. Neighbours must be hearing it too so I might enquire with some!

Calsug Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sounds like a dodgy water pump to me, anyone got

> ponds?

there might well be a pond or two. I can't really see into the other gardens, but I have contacted the Southwark noise team about it, so will wait and see!