Music Festival Peckham Rye Park

jocher

The Horniman's Museum ran a massive event a few years ago. Surrounding roads turned into "car parks", with people attending parking anywhere they could find, across peoples drives etc, gardens used at toilets, food, waste packaging chucked everywhere and loud music.

If all local stations are to be closed over that weekend, do you mean, Peckham Rye, East, North and West Dulwich?? Which others do you believe will be closed??

Have you had any discussions with local councillors??

The Horniman's Museum ran a massive event a few years ago

That was the 'jerk-off' if I recall - a celebration of all things Jamaican (and Trinidadian). It ran for a couple of years and was great to attend, but, you are correct, somewhat of a nightmare to live close to. I came back to find someone parked in my drive! But that was only a one-day afternoon/ evening event. I think it was the park rather than the Museum which was 'the host'.

P68 you're correct, it was a one off and after the amount of complaints as a result of the behaviour of those attending it was thankfully never repeated

Think of the chaos over a weekend plus the other seven days that part of the park will be closed off.

IF as reported - local railway stations are to be closed it will be a huge inconvenience to the local population isolating Dulwich. Honor Oak, Brockley and Forest Hill stations will not cope with huge numbers and buses will be bursting at the seams. The only people likely to prosper will be local shops.

Looking at the plan, it is a relatively small area of the park, just the bit directly opposite Harris Boys, that is going to be closed. It actually seems a small area for 9000 people, but maybe they won't all be there at the same time? (So, probably no sunflower display this year.) I didn't read from the stuff on the Southwark website that other bits of the park will be closed - maybe I'm wrong,does anyone have more information about this?

That information also states that Peckham Rye Station will be shut for engineering work, a very unhelpful co-incidence. Is there also information about other stations being closed?

This is a local councillor report on the event which will hopefully reassure of any concerns;

Music festival Peckham Rye Park ? May 27-28

The festival is planned for Sunday 27th May and Monday 28th May. Sunday will be for over 18s only and alcohol can be served until 10pm; while Monday will be a family friendly folk music event with up to 3 children allowed per adult. Alcohol can be served until 9.30pm on Monday. Music will cease half an hour after the alcohol sales. Maximum sound at the nearest properties is expected to reach 67 to 73 decibels. An absolute maximum of 75 decibels has been set, this level must not be exceeded at any time at the closest residential properties and reading levels will be available to the police and Southwark officers. Tickets will be sold in advance on-line and residents in the 200 closest properties will be offered free tickets. There will be a maximum of 8000 tickets per day, including complimentary ones.

A time limited license was granted by the Licensing Committee last week, 51 conditions were agreed between officers and the event organisers, ?We are the Fair?, with an additional 8 added by the Licensing Committee. The conditions include a detailed ingress, egress and dispersal policy including a public transport plan which must be approved by Licensing, the Environmental Protection Team and the Police, at least 6 weeks before the event. Southwark Highways and Parking also must be consulted and their advice implemented for the event to take place. Set entry and egress routes will be used to minimise damage to the park and the operators will make good any damage. A deposit has also been taken. The event has moved from Brockwell Park to Peckham Rye Park as a much larger event is being held in Brockwell Park on the 1-3 June and will be being set up from end of May.

The organisers of the event "We are the Fair" have won awards for their good practice in the running of outdoor events

We have both raised a number of concerns with officers and it has been agreed that ?

The cancelled stakeholder meeting is urgently rearranged. The cancelled Stakeholder Meeting planned for 24 Jan must be urgently rearranged, and this meeting must include local residents. And in the meantime responses to the queries raised at the December stakeholder meeting are circulated. These included concerns around damage/damage deposit, noise, dispersal, transport etc.

Further queries raised by FoPRP and councillors around transport and dispersal, damage deposits, parking, investment into the park will be responded to as soon as possible.

Both the council and We Are The Fair need to engage with local residents, many of whom will still be unaware of the festival. This could include a letter, meeting, FAQs online etc. This will be agreed and finalised at the stakeholder meeting.

Anecdotally, many residents we have spoken to are excited about the prospect of the festival and coupled with the requirements that We Are The Fair provide work opportunities for local people and use local food and drink companies, it could and should be a good cultural event for our part of the borough. However, if the festival isn?t well run, the opportunity to have good events that support local cultural and arts groups and the local economy will be lost.

I've received this information today. I find it hard to reconcile massive festival event with a local community park. If a festival is so large a local station has to be closed - then it is too large to be held.

Not sure what has possessed the Labour administration to allow such a disruptive large event.

The free tickets for 200 locals - has to be an admission it will be extremely disruptive and either join us or go away for the weekend implied - but who would leave their home unattended after the comments about other events that failed to respect local residents!

It wouldn't be so problematic if it was a Saturday and Sunday as most people could recover before back to work etc. on Tuesday.

The FAQ is too vague about cleaning up the surrounding streets each day. I'll ask whether Southwark Community Wardens could be deployed both days and parking enforcement wardens.

"

Dear East Dulwich Councillors,

I write in respect of an upcoming event on Peckham Rye Park/Common, GALA, a festival that was recently granted a license, subject to meeting certain conditions. As you may know, the event is planned to take place on Peckham Rye Park and Common on Bank Holiday Sunday and Monday 27 & 28 May 2018. These conditions ensure that the event is managed well and that disruption to the local community is kept to a minimum. The conditions include:

? continued dialogue with local stakeholders and residents.

? noise management

? dispersal of audience

? waste management

? protection of the park, its trees, plants and wildlife

I also wanted to write to you to inform you of the next steps which will be actioned in the coming days. We have been working with the organisers and have now uploaded some FAQ's, available online (will also be on the GALA website) . Other steps in the coming days include..

? The creation of a residents hotline (covering the entire time the festival will be at Peckham Rye), information on how the park will be protected and the impact of local wildlife minimised.

? Stakeholders have received an invitation to the next engagement meeting on 20 February

? over 3,000 local households and businesses will receive a letter updating them on the festival and connecting them to the organisers and ourselves if they wish to raise any concerns.

I am cc?ing our Culture and Arts Manager Paul Cowell who will be able to give you regular updates but please let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Johnson

Cllr Johnson Situ

Labour Councillor for Peckham ward, Southwark Council

Cabinet member for Business, Culture & Social Regeneration

"

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I've received this information today. I find it

> hard to reconcile massive festival event with a

> local community park. If a festival is so large a

> local station has to be closed - then it is too

> large to be held.

>

>

Really James? its great publicity for the area. And as it says a much bigger event is at Brockwell Park. Lots of other public parks/spaces have festivals - Blackheath, Finsbury Park, Hyde Park etc

MM I agree though I think the larger event planned for Brockwell Park has now been abandoned. It?s also alarmist for some posters to say that it?s so large that Peckham Rye Station has to be closed when in fact it?s due to be closed for pre-arranged bridge and track works.

ETA Having checked, the original festival planned for Brockwell Park has been abandoned but another one will be taking its place.

Hi nxjen,

The original 2 x 40,000 people events have been cancelled but 2 x 20,000 people events are now planned.

Hi Mick Mac,

I don't think you can compare Peckham Rye Park with Hyde Park. Sheer size of Hyde Park and half a dozen tube stations set the two apart.

Blackheath is a massive open field. Finsbury Park - I don't know that area well enough to comment.

It strikes me that, compared with the very ad hoc arrangements of the 'jerk-off' event in The Horniman, this is being very carefully organised and safeguarded. With lots of scrutiny and clear rules of engagement. Of course, it could all go wrong, but the level of care being taken (and the involvement of planning and regulatory authorities) suggest that it also may very well not.

I think it's great that events should be being planned locally - and if it does go OK I hope there will be many more. An area which isn't alive quite quickly tends to be dead.

It's not something I'm likely to go to myself, although my adult children might. But just because it isn't my taste doesn't mean I think it should be stopped. It's just one weekend in 52.

I wasn't really talking about size James. without checking I feel sure this is a smaller festival than hyde park or Blackheath in terms of travelling numbers. and hyde park has these all summer.

There were local resident objections to blackheath festival (and probably every other festival) but its now perceived as a great success. Surely these festivals are becoming the norm and we all have to put up with one being nearby and people enjoying themselves.

A minority will always misbehave but I'm sure it will be fine overall, if for any reason it's not, I'm sure it won't be happenimg again.

Mick Mac Wrote:

> I wasn't really talking about size James. without

> checking I feel sure this is a smaller festival

> than hyde park or Blackheath in terms of

> travelling numbers. and hyde park has these all

> summer.

>

> There were local resident objections to blackheath

> festival (and probably every other festival) but

> its now perceived as a great success. Surely these

> festivals are becoming the norm and we all have to

> put up with one being nearby and people enjoying

> themselves.

>

> A minority will always misbehave but I'm sure it

> will be fine overall, if for any reason it's not,

> I'm sure it won't be happenimg again.

Hyde Park is about 50-60,000 attendees per day so yep, a lot bigger than this. Describing this proposed one as "massive" is overkill.

James Barber Wrote:

> Hi nxjen,

> The original 2 x 40,000 people events have been

> cancelled but 2 x 20,000 people events are now

> planned.

>

You've not responded to my point regarding the real reason PR station is closing that weekend

I feel sorry for those properties who are in clear proximity of the park for the noise, disruption and mess they will have to endure.

James - Can you confirm or find out from Council Officers if Peckham Rye from the junction of Barry Road to the junction of Forest Hill Road will remain open to normal traffic during this event, i.e. 63 and 363 bus routes or will they be curtailed to the Heaton Arms??