Garden waste collection

Sue

It was my blue bin collection day today, and the bin people have emptied my blue bin and my small brown bin, but have left three brown council paper bags of garden waste (weeds mostly) which I had left on the pavement with my bins.

Just wondering whether anybody else has also had this?

Are the brown bags collected separately? I always thought they were collected with the rest of the recycling.

The brown bin men missed my brown bin this morning - others were emptied but not all - I suspect at least one crew is having issues. My brown bin crew sends out a scout to consolidate waste and put it into the road for the lorry following to collect - if something is missed by the scout then it will be 'overlooked' by the following bin men - who will assume the bins etc. are empty, or not appropriate waste for them.

Amended to insert missing text - see below.

They should have been collected at the same time as the contents of your small brown bin so it?s an incomplete collection. On occasions I?ve put out brown bags the night before on the pavement and they?ve mysteriously disappeared overnight before the scheduled collection, I?m guessing the guys driving the caged trucks spot them and collect.

Penguin68 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

My brown bin sends out a scout to consolidate waste and put it

> into the road for the lorry following to collect -

Crikey, a smart brown bin, blooming modern technology :))

Thanks Penguin68 and nxjen, I'll see if the bags are still there tomorrow and if they are I'll contact the council. It's a bit annoying as I had carefully lifted them over the wall to put them by the bins, and they're sopping wet, as well.

Sue, do you not have a big brown wheely bin for your three brown sacks of stuff? If not, then that's the reason why the bin men didn't collect your sacks but just your small brown wheely bin?

Edited to add that we've had a big brown bin for garden stuff e.g. cuttings, hedgerows, etc. for years now which we fill with the southwark brown paper sacks available from libraries, garden centres and southwark and it's part of our fortnightly collection.

They are supposed to collect the sacks, that's why the council provide sacks.

They always have done in the past.

I have a very small front area and don't have room for three wheelie bins even though I use the smaller sizes.

Also I think they are a total eyesore, especially the blue bins, and I like to use the tiny space I have for plants, not bins.

I have very little food waste and I use a brown caddy for that.

ETA: Surely you are supposed to put your garden waste directly into the brown bin, not into the bags and then into the bin?! Maybe this is why the library is constantly running out of the bags and has been rationing them?!

Also, the brown bin collection is every week, not fortnightly. It is the blue and green bin collections which alternate.

I am amused that you are putting hedgerows into your brown bin, Hammerman. It must be a very large bin or very small hedgerows!

Penguin68 Wrote:

> The brown bin team today (in Underhill) tell me

> that they were not on last week - it was a

> substitute team - which might explain why my bin

> was missed, and perhaps your bags. Anyway, my

> collection was fine, so I hope your will be also.

Ah, OK. So the substitute team did not know that they were supposed to take the bags?

Anyway, all's well, my bags have been taken this morning :)

Thanks for your offers of help, James and Renata (though it is James whose area I am in).

Ah, OK. So the substitute team did not know that they were supposed to take the bags?

Possibly, or, if they were operating a front-man who was meant to pull everything to be taken into the road, the front man may have simply missed the bags, as I suspect he did my bin last week. Regular bin-men are more aware of what to expect, and not to expect, on their 'own' runs.

I'll carry on doing what I'm doing and have never had an issue with the brown bags being rationed etc.

The cuttings and grass from back and front garden take up a binful especially in the Summer months. Additional bags need to be stored for collection otherwise they get wet from condensation or the rain.

Quite surprised that Renata Hamvas and James Barber need to comment on this thread about garden waste collection when many places in Southwark do not have the resources to facilitate paper/plastic recycling?

hammerman Wrote:

> Great! Something that a simple phone call or email

> by Sue to Southwark could have been sorted out.

If you read the thread, you will note that I reported it online to Southwark.

But don't let the facts get in the way of having another go at me.