Stolen Red Triumph Street Triple from Landells Road

Hi all,

My beloved bright red Triumph Street Triple was stolen from outside of my home on Landells Road, East Dulwich in the early hours on Wednesday 14Th February. The bike was covered and double locked. They appear to have used bolt cutters and a circular saw to remove the locks. This must have made a noise and I'm sure someone must have seen it happen or seen some dodger fellas walking down the road with it.

Please, if you have any information please let me know.

The Police frankly are useless, cuts aside, they don't take motorcycle theft seriously enough; particularly as the bikes are often used for other more serious crime or sold to fund other criminal acts.

Big love!

I have nothing useful to say but you have my sympathy, that's such a lovely bike - blagged a ride on one once from a dealer, a dream machine. Hope against hope it's returned, unfortunately it's probably been broken for parts, I remember reading once that an R1 costing ten grand would cost thirty-five grand to build from official parts - perhaps if the manufacturers didn't make replacement parts so expensive there would be less incentive for the buggers to steal them. Hope your insurance will pay out anyway.

I'm really sorry to hear.

For info, on Monday eve (circa 9.30pm) I scared off (used a bit laughably as they were not in the least bit scared, when they saw me looking out the window at them and shining a torch down they stared back and slowly sauntered off) 2 youths on foot and one on a black scooter loitering next to my locked up bike. Number plate was obscured so i couldn't get the number.

I suspect they look around during the evening for a target and examine the security and then come back in the early hours.

Can I ask what chains/locks they managed to cut through?

Sorry about your bike getting stolen; I don't own a vehicle myself but I know people get attached to bikes and cars so it's not just a bit of property that's taken, there's a lot of heart and soul in them too.

A lovely neighbour of ours was a massive motorbike fan, to the extent that he always kept two of the same bikes, one for commuting, one for racing - they were pretty meaty bikes- sadly one day some nasty people found them [he had a hedge hiding them from street view] and they were stolen. When replaced, he got enough back from the insurance to buy another pair -though I doubt enough for all the mods and upgrades he did- then they were soon stolen again, and again, and again. After this happened I think 5 times it broke him I think, despite him installing some major security, and he ended up moving outside of London.

I hate that as this area has become a fair bit better off, the crime rate has soared and the only police we see are the once a week bobby on the street or when called to an incident. Our local police, when we had them were great people in my experience.

Hope you get your bike back.

I am so sorry to read this. I have just been awarded a Cleaner Greener Safer award to get some bars and rails installed on a motorcycle parking bay near me, so bikers can attach bikes with Dlocks and chains, but of course if people want to steal bikes they will. Also sorry to hear about the police not seeming to give a brown one...

Thanks for your messages. Great community spirit on the EDF!

A number of people asked about the security I had on the bike, here are my comments:

- I had a traditional Oxford chain lock through the rear wheel.

- I had a top end Albus Victory X Granit brake disc from lock.

- I had the bike covered outside my house.

- they circular sawed through the Oxford like a knife through butter. If you have one of these as your primary lock, get rid and go for something bulkier.

- the Albus by all accounts did its job. They couldnt get through it and had to saw through the actual brake disc.

My bike days are over for the time being, but if I were to get a replacement for the Oxford I'd simply get some maritime 36mm chain and spend ?50 on a descent locking mechanism.

Thanks again.

Sorry to here this, i cant

bleave no one heard them grinding through your locks, especially the brake disc that would have made hell of a racket?? I gave up just recently biking ,insurance was getting silly even for a commuter 125cc,, Pity someone doesnt catch one of these little $hits in the act and take the grinder to there nuts?? Rave over......

Has anyone tried any feasbility tests using this concept: https://evothings.com/motion-sensor-sms-alert-app-for-nerds-and-bikers/? There's no need to roll your own app either. The last time this topic came up I did find at least one app that looked suitable for trialling. You need one that uses the phone's accelerometer, rather than the camera, for the motion detection. For maximal silent warning I think I'd place the phone in a pocket near an inside edge of the bike cover. Or you could simply secrete it as in the article, and maybe put your faith in its being able to continue reporting its position.

You eon't necessarily hear a battery powered angle grinder, and it'll go through anything, given time. Time is all you have - the police can get anywhere in ten minutes, and that's what they bank on. If it's going to take longer than that then they'll think twice or plan harder. There's nothing you can do, unfortunately, hence sky rocketing insurance costs. Even if you lock it at work or home, they now follow you out on the road, as has happened to me. I've moved home because of this, and shall do so, out of London, as soon as it's practical. The police do care, but they only have so much resource.

Thanks for the feedback on the locks coletrickle. Amazed they cut the brake disc - I've never heard that before!

Out of interest, have been googling security chains and thief attacks, and have come across a testing website for motorcycle security.

Even a super solid chunky 22mm chain from squire or pragmasis is being cut through with an angle grinder in less that 30 seconds. The best they've tested was done in 47 seconds (in ideal conditions - easy access, chain rigid in a vice etc).

The thinner chains are gone in 10 seconds.

That's pretty quick - especially if the thieves have scoped it out earlier - in an out (with a lot of noise) easily in 30 seconds...