Tintagel Crescent off Lordship Lane

LibraCarr

Hi,

Has anyone noted the amount of parents who ignore the no parking yellow ziz zag lines out side of the school?

Yesterday it was total bedlam as parents enter the road from both ends and cause congestion. In the 3-5 minutes I was in the road I noted that two minor collisions occured with the drivers not stopping!

I wonder if the PCSO's that were issuing tickets to bike riders could do the same to the offenders, as a fine and points might make them think of their own children and other's safety.

Kind regards,

Libra Carr.

Hi again,

This school is well served by a number of busses that converge on the immediate area. If you had a little darling and lived in say Putney, you could put the child on the bus with his crisps, mobile phone (you know the one with the annoying and loud ring tone), his runny nose etc and he would still get to school quicker than the parent can drive him.

I think it is the laziness of the parent that is the problem.

Regards,

Libra Carr.

Dear Libra,

You're obviously upset about this, so why not use your time trying to do something about it, rather than haplessly tapping out your objections here? Tell the school, track down a copper, march up and down at the junction in question with a big banner, but don't just vent to us screen-slaves.

And don't use any more energy by knocking out a riposte to this. It will have no effect on me and will only act as another example of your wasted effort.

be fair Nero, must of what gets typed on here falls into the same category

Libra has a point and is wondering how others feel about it - dear God, hopefully it won't turn into another family/pushchairs rant, but it's absolutely correct to say that schoolruns are dreadful examples of people being pushy, lazy and feckless towards others

As for PCSOs - I know this much - if they do start issuing these people fines, the indignation will be priceless

LibraCarr Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If you had a

> little darling and lived in say Putney, you could

> put the child on the bus with his crisps, mobile

> phone (you know the one with the annoying and loud

> ring tone), his runny nose etc and he would still

> get to school quicker than the parent can drive

> him.

If they really did live in Putney, I could understand them driving the kids... the 37 bus is the least effective form of transportation known to mankind. And this is a primary school, so not necessarily safe for the kids to travel on their own.

However, I suspect that most of them live within a mile or so.

Yup - putting your five year old on the bus on their own is likely to land you in big trouble.

I suspect a big problem is that parents need to get somewhere (work perhaps?) afterwards or have babies / younger children they need to bring along.

I agree that driving to school is ridiculous but then any journey of less than 2 miles should be done by bike or on foot as far as I'm concerned. Dragging a 5 year old for two miles in the rain / cold isn't fun, cycling isn't safe (if your child isn't allowed on the pavement and you have to dawdle on the road to keep pace with them).

There is a very strong case for properly considering school travel as a chance to be quite radical about transport planning.

Cycling to school should be normal and if it were safer - ie if there were proper cycle lanes this could be possible. Inevitably this would mean some of the road space currenytly allocated to cras being given over to cyclists and some sharing of pavement space but there's no reason why it shouldn't work, especially round here.