East Dulwich Grove closed

New Girl

I went down and spoke to them... there appeared to be a hump in the road that has been causing noise and vibrations (causing structural issues) which apparently the houses on either side have been complaining about for some time. So, Conways is excavating it, removing the concrete underlay and replacing it with tarmac so that heavy vehicles won't cause bashing noises and vibrations.

They calculate that they will be done by tomorrow (Wednesday), but it looks like they have a displayed highway order up until Friday, presumably so that works can be extended in case anything goes wrong.

From memory, I don't think there was an actual speed hump there... there was an assessment years ago to implement a raised table across the intersection of the junction of EDG and Melbourne, but this was advised against - instead, the council only created pavement raised table crossings on both sides of Melbourne, but left EDG untouched.

I have a funny feeling that I remember what was behind the concrete reinforcement in this location... from memory, Thames Water installed a very complicated underground water sewer reservoir in this location (in the mid to late 1990s) to address some of the sewer floods in the area and they bookended the reservoir with concrete supports under the road so that vehicles wouldn't bash away at the underground structure over time, which could cause it to fracture and flood.

But I can't find anyone from highways to speak to... ironically, the redirection of the sewers towards this underground overflow facility has indirectly been causing other flooding problems up at the Lordship end of Melbourne for some time, but no one appears to have a copy of the EDG drawings.

BTW, the Conways guy I spoke to was lovely and very helpful... sometimes it's useful to communicate.

I have a funny feeling that I remember what was behind the concrete reinforcement in this location... from memory, Thames Water installed a very complicated underground water sewer reservoir in this location (in the mid to late 1990s) to address some of the sewer floods in the area and they bookended the reservoir with concrete supports under the road so that vehicles wouldn't bash away at the underground structure over time, which could cause it to fracture and flood.

If this is right, then Conways is undoing what was presumably necessary remedial and protective work by Thames Water which could then lead to more disruption etc. Including sewer floods. So they will be creating a problem, not solving one. Terrific. - In this case responding to local complaints, of course. But nonetheless...

I hope that when peoples' homes are flooded by sewer water Southwark will take full responsibility for compensation and restoration, as it will have been their work which undid Thames Water's restorative work.

Yep, Peng, this is what I'm worried about, as my house has been flooded twice due to the chaotic post EDG reservoir sewer re-diversions.

But, actually, I don't think the problem is Southwark Council... Thames Water's technical diagrams and management procedures are a nightmare... in addition to the incorrect sewer diagrams, I'm currently in complaint with them regarding damage to my home from a burst water main outside my house because of an incorrect technical clean water road diagram.

In the process of resolving all of this, I've tried several times to get a copy of the EDG underground water facility layout, but it sounds like this was never registered with the council??

Bear in mind that I may well be remembering incorrectly, but I'm still trying to track someone down to discuss... if nothing else, it's weird that there was an underground concrete barrier set under the road in this location, so my explanation may be relevant.

I remember this: a massive trench was dug down Melbourne Grove as they replaced the crumbling Victorian sewer with a giant new concrete one. It took weeks. But I don't remember what they did at the EDG/Melbourne Grove junction.

rch Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> I have a funny feeling that I remember what was

> behind the concrete reinforcement in this

> location... from memory, Thames Water installed a

> very complicated underground water sewer reservoir

> in this location (in the mid to late 1990s) to

> address some of the sewer floods in the area and

> they bookended the reservoir with concrete

> supports under the road so that vehicles wouldn't

> bash away at the underground structure over time,

> which could cause it to fracture and flood.

>

> But I can't find anyone from highways to speak

> to... ironically, the redirection of the sewers

> towards this underground overflow facility has

> indirectly been causing other flooding problems up

> at the Lordship end of Melbourne for some time,

> but no one appears to have a copy of the EDG

> drawings.

>

> BTW, the Conways guy I spoke to was lovely and

> very helpful... sometimes it's useful to

> communicate.

Ah yes, Reg... I think replacing the crumbling sewers feeding into EDG was part of the bigger picture as it would be more cost effective to dig everything up at the same time. Or, it's possible that what I think of as an overflow facility was actually enlarged sewers being implemented.

But it would make sense that concrete barriers were inserted in order to protect everything from road traffic vibrations.

And I also remember it taking weeks/months. Do you remember what year this was? I seem to think '97 or '98, but I could well be wrong.

Thanks for the date estimate, Reg.

As it happens, the 1996 slot works better with the 1997 slot that I was remembering from my own memory timeline, so I'll flag 1996 to begin with, if I can ever get anyone to speak to me.

The gas works.

Apparently...They?ve dug the holes. They?ve fix everything. They?ll finish filling the holes tomorrow. Then two days - probably this weekend - making good the road ready for reopening for Monday.

This morning it struck me that perhaps East Dulwich Grove has the ambience of pre mass motor cars. Quiet and tranquil.

The Melbourne Grove/EDG junction is now open!

However, there are now more roadworks on EDG by the Dutch Estate up by Alleyn's... not completely closed but the road is reduced to a single lane with traffic lights.

I think the works up by the Dutch Estate are the gas works, James... the closure down by Melbourne was definitely the removal of the concrete slab hump.

Getting a council officer to communicate is impossible, so I'm having to chat to the Conways chaps.

Thanks, James... it's weird, though, as Conways were clear two days in a row that they were removing the concrete underlay "hump" because of vibration complaints.

Maybe Conways had to remove the concrete so that the gas people could reach the gas pipes underneath?

Conversely, there was simultaneous work being done to install services into the new house that's being built at the EDG end of Melbourne... there were gas vans and I spoke to the Thames Water guys, who were clear that they weren't involved in the EDG end of the works.

Maybe the council was actually being efficient (!) and managed to coordinate two or three projects within the context of one road closure??

For some illumination, and possibly some additional puzzlement, do a search at http://public.londonworks.gov.uk/roadworks/home for East Dulwich Grove for 20-23 February. This link _may_ get you there directly. I'm not sure if it's a transient one or not: http://public.londonworks.gov.uk/roadworks/?x=bqGjG*Lzc49wvpLAh0tsUw. The text version sometimes truncates some of the description, but it can be seen in full by clicking each icon in the map version.