No bin collection yesterday?

Hi Calsug,

This is the latest Councillors have been briefed on this:

"

Waste collections

Due to hazardous road conditions caused by snowfall and freezing temperatures, there have been no household waste collection services in Southwark today. With further snowfall and freezing temperatures forecast to continue, disruption is likely to continue for a few days resulting in delays to all household waste collection services. The council will be working in partnership with Veolia to monitor the situation and return waste collection services to normal as soon as possible. We will update residents via Twitter and on our website with information about the actions we are taking to return collections to normal.

In the meantime we would ask residents to do what they can to manage their waste whilst waste collections are delayed. You can do this for example by flattening cardboard boxes and by squashing plastic bottles and drinks cartons so they take up less space in recycling bins. If you have a brown bin you can use this for food waste if you don?t already do so. Residents should leave waste bins in the usual place for collection as normal until they have been emptied.

"

Where in my post did I say it was a big problem!? It was a simple question and you are being sanctimonious for no reason...

hammerman Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Calsug Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Anyone else not get your bins emptied

> yesterday?

>

> Not such a big problem in the scale of things.

I was seeing if it was just my street as what you don?t know is ours was not gritted or cleared so thought it could have been an issue isolated to certain areas

As for understanding why - London getting a few cm of snow and paralysing a capital city to the point where a bin can?t be collected due to health and safety is frankly embarrassing if we are being honest. Putting aside it doesn?t happen very often blah blah blah I saw one side of a pavement vaguely gritted by workmen randomly slinging grit from a van and the other side of the street left completely untouched - the end result being a tick box of a pavement gritted but both sides unsafe to walk on. it does not cost much to get a push along grit spreader for side streets and to redeploy people to do that instead of litter picking for example.

I?m not suggesting we invest in a fleet of snow blowing machine snow etc but get a bit creative, the solutions needs not be expensive. Poor preparation, lack of training and no actual problem solving is what causes the issues regardless of how frequently we get snow here. So no I don?t necessarily understand why, but I was asking to see if it was just me affected or as mentioned above basically the whole borough is ill prepared to the point where services are not functioning effectively. You?re right it?s not a big deal BUT it?s annoying and possibly avoidable

P.s to preempt a reply saying I could have done my bit - I did clear the part of the street outside of my house .

For starters I?m talking about the level of snowfall in London and not anywhere else.

Secondly a bin lorry on a properly gritted road and with winter tyres - no damage.

I agree thouh particularly on these roads which again are poorly prepared it is dangerous but you seem to have missed the point... we have had a dusting of snow in London

Hi an update:

Kerbside collections (alternate week collection of residual and recycling wheelie bins, weekly organics collections)

The plan is to catch up with kerbside collections is as follows:

Catch up of missed refuse collections (green wheelie bins)

Date refuse collection was missed Wednesday 28th February Thursday 1st March Friday 2nd March

Date refuse collection will be made Monday 5th March Tuesday 6th March Wednesday 7th March

Catch up of missed recycling collections (blue wheelie bins)

Date recycling collection was missed Wednesday 28th February Thursday 1st March Friday 2nd March

Date recycling collection will be made Thursday 8th March Friday 9th March Saturday 10th March

There will be no organic waste collections between Monday 5th March and Friday 9th March (this resource is what we are using to do the catch up collections.)

Refuse, recycling and organic collections will all be back to normal from Monday 12th March.

Bulky waste collections

Catch up on bulky waste collection bookings missed between Wednesday 28th February and Friday 2nd March will be during w/c 5th March. Customers have been contacted directly to inform them of revised collection arrangements.

A bulky collection vehicle will be deployed on Saturday 10th March to complete any bulky waste collection backlog that remains by then.

An additional bulky collection vehicle will be made available to take bookings on Saturday 10th, Wednesday 14th and Saturday 17th March to help catch up with demand.

Bulk container collections and estate sack collections

All residual and recycling bulk collection crews were deployed on Friday and Saturday to catch up on missed collections. These crews are responsible for emptying communal-use waste containers from estates and blocks.

Normal collections resumed on Monday 5th March.

Clinical waste collections

Clinical waste collections were carried out over the weekend to catch up on any missed collections and normal clinical waste collections resumed on Monday 5th March.

Bin deliveries and sack deliveries

There were no bin/sack deliveries during the severe weather. Bin and sack deliveries re-commenced on 5th March catching up on missed deliveries from this week. We anticipate deliveries will be back to normal by Monday 12th March.

• 2 weeks later...