Reserving car space with wheelie bins

Legally, no. But if someone requires a skip outside their house or other pressing need, there's just no other way to do it. You can't suspend a public parking space with no restrictions in force. Bring on the CPZ for this and other wondrous benefits.

If its for a skip or delivery etc.. then I think its fair enough - probably with a knock on the neighbours door to give them the heads up

If its to reserve their parking space then definitely not and I would be a bit irked if someone did that

They've moved out now, but I used to walk past a house on my way to the station where every day the mum would leave a bin the space outside her house as she went off to do the school run.

If I'd lived in the road and it affected me I'd have moved the bin back into their garden every day. But I didn't, and it didn't so I didn't!

So what if they reserve their parking spot!

If you want to park there just move the bins! Be prepared for any comebacks as there may well be...

It's especially annoying when you see people who dont live in the area clogging up the road with their vehicles, making use of local parking facilities!

This is probably the only area which doesn't yet have cpz!

A number of residents are using wheelie bins to stop people parking across their drives.

If they don't then they're expected to call Southwark parking to come and ticket he offending vehicle. Often they take some time to attend. Southwark also don't put the white H bars across to make it clear people shouldn't park there.

Getting double yellow lines is also painful.

So residents in some cases are trying to keep access to their drive clear and where they're placing the wheelie bins no one can legally park.

Not ideal but saving people from getting ticketed.

This is probably the only area which doesn't yet have cpz!

A CPZ gives you NO rights to park outside your house, or to reserve space there. Indeed, someone who has paid for a CPZ ticket will feel they have a greater right to park anywhere in that CPZ. In general CPZs reduce the available parking space (in the way the are marked out) and certainly do not 'create' sufficient spaces (necessarily) to allow all the cars registered to addresses in CPZ roads to be parked in that CPZ. And of course these won't be able to park in other CPZs either.

Why would there be a comeback?

I own a car and fortunately most of the time I have a space outside my house, sometimes when I go away for the weekend I come back and someone is using it. Fine its a bit annoying as have to park further up the street and carry the usual ton of kiddie equipment etc BUT I know its not my parking spot and I don't own it. Also if at a later stage the parking space becomes free I will move my car to back outside my house

On the odd occasion that my neighbour has parked in such a way that if they reversed a bit a space could be made for me I knock on their door and they will make space - they do the same if I can create some more space. Its fair, it works and I have no sense of entitlement that the road outside my house is mine.

sweetgirl Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> So what if they reserve their parking spot!

> If you want to park there just move the bins! Be

> prepared for any comebacks as there may well

> be...

> It's especially annoying when you see people who

> dont live in the area clogging up the road with

> their vehicles, making use of local parking

> facilities!

> This is probably the only area which doesn't yet

> have cpz!

We've just become a CPZ and actually found they didnt decrease parking space overall. We saw a roughly 60% drop in road useage primarily because the commuters were no longer parking. Also, CPZ permit holders can park in both CPZ and PAy/Display bays, which many forget.The suggestion that CPZ reduce parking spaces is yet another tired myth in the long list of hyperbole deployed by opponents of the schemes.

Our CPZ encompasses 9 streets roughly and there is now acres more space than before because of the shutting down of commuters and other long stayers who abandoned their cars on our road. I find it hard to comprehend how people could push the barefaced lie that CPZ means less parking spaces. Southwark is clear, repeated surveys of CPZ areas over many years always show a 60% reduction in cars using the area. How this can magically lead to less car parking spaces is beyond me.

As for bins - we had this particularly before we got the CPZ. My general rule was if a note was on the bin saying 'please don't move delivery due' then I'd leave them. If people were daily pegging out 'their' spot, I'd move the bins on the grounds that no one has the right to a reserved specific space.

"The suggestion that CPZ reduce parking spaces is yet another tired myth in the long list of hyperbole deployed by opponents of the schemes."

It isn't. The overall number of available parking spaces will drop. This was certainly the case southwark consulted around ED station a few years ago.

The consultation took a count of cars daily in the area (the exercise was done to try and show the number of commuter cars). I cant remember the figures, but there was a significant drop in available parking spaces with the proposed scheme

Having said that, of course one of the objectives of a CPZ is to stop "outsiders" parking, which of course may outstrip the overall drop in spaces for the residents

DadOf4 Wrote:

> "The suggestion that CPZ reduce parking spaces is

> yet another tired myth in the long list of

> hyperbole deployed by opponents of the schemes."

>

> It isn't. The overall number of available parking

> spaces will drop. This was certainly the case

> southwark consulted around ED station a few years

> ago.

> The consultation took a count of cars daily in the

> area (the exercise was done to try and show the

> number of commuter cars). I cant remember the

> figures, but there was a significant drop in

> available parking spaces with the proposed scheme

>

> Having said that, of course one of the objectives

> of a CPZ is to stop "outsiders" parking, which of

> course may outstrip the overall drop in spaces for

> the residents

Sorry, that is absolute rot. Let me talk you through the process in simple terms. The street will retain the same number overall of parking spaces. We lost practically none - we gained several disabled bays (esential for many residents), and some areas went from 'free' parking to pay and display - but this was on the same street. The only area I can think of which lost any theoretical spaces was one street which had a high level of driveways, where yellow lines were put in (much to the delight and relief of residents who were unable to move their car off the drive due to it being blocked by inconsiderate commuters who knew the traffic wardens didnt police the street).

CPZs do not mean less spaces. You are peddling a lie. Southwark are clear that there is a 60% drop in traffic when a CPZ is introduced. So unless they are reducing spaces by 61% there will still be more than enough spaces for everyone who is able to park there.

Given the utter nightmare of life in a non-CPZ street, I cannot recommend enough campaigning for a CPZ to make life more bearable for everyone who lives there. Anyone needing advice on how to start a CPZ campaign for East Dulwich, then please let me know - I helped lead the toastrack campaign and would be more than happy to help you campaign to make life quieter, safer and easier for you and your fellow residents.

sweetgirl Yesterday, 08:29PM

So what if they reserve their parking spot!

but it's not "their" parking spot is it ? Householders don't own the bit of road outside their house .

Or were you thinking of a dropped kerb for off street parking ? Where I suppose the affected piece of road has effectively been bought .

Quite a bargain I suppose as the cost of a dropped kerb seems to cover cost of ongoing maintainence of road plus parking enforcement .

Slightly off the topic of bins to reserve spaces- Has anyone else noticed an influx of Zip Cars in the area? I always thought they had to be in a Zip car bay (if not on hire), but it appears they're multiplying on every other street to a point where I don't think they could all be on hire. I'm sure they're really handy for some people who need a car on the odd occasion but feels like they're starting to suck up residential parking.

Captain Kernow Wrote:

> Slightly off the topic of bins to reserve spaces-

> Has anyone else noticed an influx of Zip Cars in

> the area? I always thought they had to be in a Zip

> car bay (if not on hire), but it appears they're

> multiplying on every other street to a point where

> I don't think they could all be on hire. I'm sure

> they're really handy for some people who need a

> car on the odd occasion but feels like they're

> starting to suck up residential parking.

This is the new Zip Car Flex. Rather than having marked bays, the cars can just be picked up and left anywhere, and people track where they are using the app.

And not only are they allowed to park in normal places, they can use permit-holder only areas as well. This is part of a deal several boroughs have done with ZipCar, and the councils support it because it notionally helps to reduce car ownership, by people effectively "pooling" their car use through the scheme. Bit of a nuisance for residents who have no driveway though.

If you are regularly affected by someone who does this routinely (such as the lady in Heber Road) then I can't see the harm in moving the bins or cones out of the way to park. They don't own the road outside their house as everyone says.

But if you are trying to park someone that is not your home address and you see bins reserving a space, can't you give the home owners the benefit of the doubt? They might be reserving a space for a removals lorry or delivery or skip and it might be the only time they have ever put bins out on the street in this way.

It's pretty arrogant and anti social to just move them and park anyway just because you feel entitled to that particular spot.

I disagree. I feel like it is arrogant to assume you can reserve a spot. I have moved house multiple times in London and each time reserved a parking suspension in the normal way. For a skip I don?t think anyone is entitled to a skip outside their house! First come first served. If there were a polite note on the bins explaining the need, maybe... but otherwise sorrynotsorry !

tomskip Wrote:

> If you are regularly affected by someone who does

> this routinely (such as the lady in Heber Road)

> then I can't see the harm in moving the bins or

> cones out of the way to park. They don't own the

> road outside their house as everyone says.

>

> But if you are trying to park someone that is not

> your home address and you see bins reserving a

> space, can't you give the home owners the benefit

> of the doubt? They might be reserving a space for

> a removals lorry or delivery or skip and it might

> be the only time they have ever put bins out on

> the street in this way.

>

> It's pretty arrogant and anti social to just move

> them and park anyway just because you feel

> entitled to that particular spot.

Given the state of how bad parking is in many roads, it may well be the only spot going. Knowing plenty of locals who had to spend 45 minutes to an hour circling looking for spaces pre-CPZ (in an area surrounded by CPZs) with young children, babies and shopping in tow, I would happily move the bins.

The only time I wouldnt do it is if a note is on bin saying why it is there (e.g. delivery planned etc) - thats perfectly reasonable, but if you're going to block the road, at least have the courtesy to say why.

In Goodrich road between the Castle and Landells there are 3 wheelie bins in the road, well spaced out, then a skip- selfish and wrong. I have learned from speaking to builders in the past that there will be repercussions. Council employees are out and about all the time THEY should do something. We ALL pay road tax so that WE can use the roads to park our cars...

A person has to be almost crippled to get a disabled bay but some people are not as mobile as others and should not have to park 3 streets away- and, of course- the selfish behaviour is contagious.

Sorry I've never had a skip but if someone is doing building work and they want a skip then by all means take the space - its not a long term thing and it saves having rubble sacks all over the place. Really what is the alternative?