new pavements in Dulwich Park

fitch

It's great that there are new pavements round the bottom of the park, but it must have cost a fortune.

Generally speaking the Parks department is great but I've been walking round the park for donkeys years and they've never bothered me.

Was it money well spent? Or was there a special reason for doing it?

Mick Mac Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yet most of Lordship Lane, which sees heavy use

> and has nice bars and restaurants to sit outside,

> still waits for new paving.

I expect they'll choose to do Lordship when it causes the least disruption eg. school holidays. Not.

Just had a look at the new pavement works at the top of Lordship Lane,Chener Books side, where it gets to Goose Green.

Strange to see one pile of slightly used square paving stones being replaced with new ones and the kerb stones being replaced with slightly higher ones.

Given that the council is broke - seems odd that money is being spent on cosmetic work to Lordship Lane. If you look over the road the pavement and kerbs are perfectly usable although paving has sunk a little.

Wonder what's going on?

Mind how you go in the icy weather!

End of March is often the end of the financial year and budgets have to be spent, or lost.

Possibly this is Southwark's year end - I don't know but guessing it's the case.

Any company with surplus at the end of the year - which it spends on non-critical items, is demonstrating a lack of financial acumen and poor planning of its resources.

i*Rate Wrote:

> Just had a look at the new pavement works at the

> top of Lordship Lane,Chener Books side, where it

> gets to Goose Green.

> Strange to see one pile of slightly used square

> paving stones being replaced with new ones and the

> kerb stones being replaced with slightly higher

> ones.

> Given that the council is broke - seems odd that

> money is being spent on cosmetic work to Lordship

> Lane. If you look over the road the pavement and

> kerbs are perfectly usable although paving has

> sunk a little.

> Wonder what's going on?

>

> Mind how you go in the icy weather!

To James Barber...

James, would you like to comment on this as I have looked at what is being doe (at great expense) and the end result will be little different.

Meanwhile we have traffic disruption and the bus stop is out of commission.

Great to see the works finally being done on LL by Chener Books - A lot of LL is on a whole poorly paved and is a trip hazard to anyone.

Think it's a shame the council didn't lay better quality stones so they won't have to do it again in 5-10 years!

• 1 month later...
Was cycling through Dulwich Park this week where a lot of the pavement resurfacing is complete. As part of the work, they have repositioned the kerbstones. But there are no dropped kerbs along the entire southside run. If you are pushing a wheelchair along the pavement or road and want to get to a bench, or cross to the pavilion, it?s going to be tough. While the workmen are still there, is there any way to get a few dropped kerbs or ramps added every 100m or so.

A buggy with a light child, yes. A wheelchair would struggle - and the kerbs are now a 3 inch drop rather than the half-inch or so they were before. The difference between an old and new section is quite startling. I did wonder whether the old ones were so low that it wasn't a consideration in putting in any dropped sections.

I was with my aunt in an electric wheelchair and there were no dropped kerbs at all so that we could sit together on the benches. I must say the work looked really shoddy too, the pavement might be smoother but the kerbstones are bedded in terribly and look awful.

The wide ?Road? from Court Lame Gate through to Dulwich Village has no pavements at all. It is quite dangerous I think, speaking as a pedestrian, when cyclists come up behind you. Most are very careful but there are quite a few who cycle at speeds much greater than the 5mph I think they are allowed. Should not new pavements be installed along this route?

Jennys Wrote:

> The wide ?Road? from Court Lame Gate through to

> Dulwich Village has no pavements at all. It is

> quite dangerous I think, speaking as a pedestrian,

> when cyclists come up behind you. Most are very

> careful but there are quite a few who cycle at

> speeds much greater than the 5mph I think they are

> allowed. Should not new pavements be installed

> along this route?

But then where there are pavements the rest of the way round, the vast majority of pedestrians don't use them. AS THEY ARE ENTITLED NOT TO DO (before the anti-cyclist lobby start). So might be a bit of a waste of money installing them? Perhaps a better, and far cheaper alternative, would be to simply paint a cycle lane down one side of the road; in other shared use spaces, for example in Hyde Park, this works fine, I never see cyclists riding on the (much wider) pedestrian only section.