Adys Rd Rat Run

The closure of the Bellenden/Maxted junction for the installation of the zebra crossing by the school has made Adys Rd and Nutbrook St gloriously quiet. It's like living on a residential street rather than a highway for tipper trucks, taxis and white vans.

Perhaps it could be made permanent?

Totally agree. The whole area is transformed. Put in a few 'dead ends' as per the Walthamstow model and quality of life will dramatically improve. I'm not overly sure why the council wouldn't do it. Surely a matter of time.

I think that although we lost on Camberwell Grove the council was a bit taken aback that 20% wanted it kept shut. The tumult caused by those who want it open drowns out everyone else.

And so, the council is committed to an area wide traffic plan -- to calm all the roads at once without just pushing the traffic from one to another. I'm sure a lot of people will hate that too but it seems a sensible place to start -- in fact it seems a sensible place to have started some time ago.

Sally - The problem is that ?calming? just makes traffic slower, noisier (tracks banging over speed bumps and reving between them) and more polluting. I?m sure it makes it a tiny bit safer for cyclists and pedestrians but makes it worse for residents subject to the noise and pollution.

Unless there are road closures or access restrictions then the rat running will continue.

yes, I completely agree. This is the point to emphasise to the council. When I say "calming" I am being vague. I certainly prefer road closures (filtered permeability). One neat road closure can avoid miles of humps. Local access only produces far less, far better tempered traffic.

Peckham is already hard enough to navigate with the ridiculous one way system. That's why we get trucks and coaches down residential streets, sometimes desperately trying to pull off a thirteen-point turn.

Closing off a road might make YOUR street quieter, but it's hardly going to help the bigger picture.

fishbiscuits Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Peckham is already hard enough to navigate with

> the ridiculous one way system. That's why we get

> trucks and coaches down residential streets,

> sometimes desperately trying to pull off a

> thirteen-point turn.

I suspect it's got much more to do with coaches and trucks using consumer apps rather than HGV approved sat-navs and relying on them to navigate. Anyway my suggestion would be to have an area wide set of restrictions that ensured traffic stuck either to Champion Hill in the West or Copeland/Consort Road in the East, rather than using Lyndhurst, Bellenden, Maxted, Nutbrook and Adys as a rat-run. I understand that if there was just one restriction then traffic would just shift over (as it did with Ogglander, Ondine and Copplestone) hence why a joined up approach is needed.

The mayor's healthy streets initiative could be the way forward

https://www.london.gov.uk/what-we-do/health/transport-and-health/healthy-streets-london

TfL has money for liveable neighbourhoods https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/boroughs/liveable-neighbourhoods

Southwark didn't get any of the first round of funding because its proposal was so inadequate.

The elections are coming so now is the time to raise this with your candidates

Sally Eva Wrote:

> This has been pointed out before and the council

> has promised a traffic-review which will

> specifically cover a wider area.

Yep, a wider traffic review is what is needed. I have no problem with road closures as part of a coherent strategy, but the problem with proposals such as Camberwell Grove and Melbourne Grove is that they were not that at all.

Given there are about 5 different schools on this so-called rat run I would guess that is the major factor.

Unfortunately it seems to be encouraging bicyclists even more than usual to run the red lights and turn right illegally at the adys / crystal palace / east dulwich road crossroads.

Peckhamgatecrasher Wrote:

> Do you not think that the Easter hols has

> something to do with the relative quiet on the

> roads at the moment? Parking on Adys is easypeasy

> at the moment.

That suggests that the 'problem' is largely down to those working in the schools. What will they do when a CPZ comes in?

I would guess that as well as those working in the schools, a number of parents of school children drive to school drop their kids off and then walk to the station. Also there maybe a number of local residents who normally park here who have gone away for school holidays in their cars.

Those affected by a CPZ will have to park outside someone else's house during the window it operates in. More of a problem for commuters than staff, I would think, unless its an all day CPZ .

• 2 weeks later...

Abe_froeman Wrote:

> I would guess that as well as those working in the

> schools, a number of parents of school children

> drive to school drop their kids off and then walk

> to the station. Also there maybe a number of local

> residents who normally park here who have gone

> away for school holidays in their cars.

>

> Those affected by a CPZ will have to park outside

> someone else's house during the window it operates

> in. More of a problem for commuters than staff, I

> would think, unless its an all day CPZ .

So School staff will have 'to park outside someone else's house'? Nice.

Why would a CPZ only effect commuters exactly?