Londis closing down

Went to the Londis on the corner of Lordship Lane and North Cross Road only to find it was closing for good! This is really sad news, they were nice in there and sorted out all my late night snacks/drinks. Does anyone know why it?s closing?

There was a notice on there on Saturday saying they were closing on Sunday (something like unexpectedly, or unforeseen circumstances) and sorry for the short notice.

So looks like they had to close down even earlier than planned :(

The owner of the site has been trying thought various planning applications - which Cllr Rosie Shimell and I have called in repeatedly - to get permission to convert the premises into a restaurant ground floor and add an extra three flats above.

We've called-in the latest scheme to be decided by councillor if council officers are minded to grant permission under delegated powers.

It is crucial that Lordship Lane keep at least 50% retail shop units.

If you agree then object to the latest planning application - https://planning.southwark.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?keyVal=_STHWR_DCAPR_9577108&activeTab=summary

This percentage is based no ensuring our shopping high street has sufficient proportion of shops to be attractive ot people who want to go shopping.

In planning terms it's considered critical mass.

Hi P68,

Are you suggesting Lordship Lane should be turned into houses and flats?

Word on the street 3 years ago was that Londis would close to enable Costa Coffee, so I suppose that was the planning permission du jour.

Apart from the occasional bottle of wine, we never used it as a corner shop, far too expensive

and limited. We have other similar stores along LL.

Can we take 5 minutes to suggest

it's replacement?

Please, be uninhibited, we are open to fantasy or pragmatism ...

Hi P68,

Are you suggesting Lordship Lane should be turned into houses and flats?

No. I am suggesting that a rigid '50%' shops without considering what the alternative to that might be (closed shops, pop-ups, charity shops) - none of which actually add to LL retail clout - is not sensible. I am also suggesting that, yes, considering the housing situation in London I do think additional residential accommodation locally would be a good thing. I had not realised the Lib Dem position was so entrenched against increasing housing capacity in Southwark, but then , you lives and you learns.

Ah, I'll miss this shop, but that's mostly nostalgia on my part. It'd long since been superseded by many other places on the Lane, especially the excellent Organic Village place, which has turned itself into a really good little vendor.

I understand why some are sad to see it go, but it was expensive and run down, you could tell ages ago they knew it was done for.

I'm pessimistic about what might replace it, but we'll see I guess.

Walked down earlier to take a look after reading a thread on here.

Very sad to see this shop close. One of the last bastions of ?old ED?- friendly staff, very handy for bits and bobs- especially lottery and Saturday papers. It might not be worth much to most on here, but it was a tradition to walk down and get our morning papers on a weekend. A sad day for me, and many others I?m sure.

Louisa.

I?ve got lots of lovely memories of this shop from my childhood, especially the slush puppie that my mum used to buy me.

I still popped in there for Hermes and to pick up a few bits and bobs, but nothing stays the same forever in Dulwich though I hope Sunny?s shop, Red Apple will run forever as that was my local shop when I was a youth for cherry coke, spring onion crisps and penny sweets.

It was called Budgens when I moved to ED 20 years ago. I?m originally from Merseyside and 24 hour shops didn?t exist at the time I left (or if they did, I didn?t see any). It was rebranded as B2 later on, and I?m fairly sure it had another name but can?t recall it,

Great stuff!!

Why was this shot in LL Londis?? Kid Cudi is American and the original version of this song has a video shot in the US.

This video is just for the Crookers remix, but Crookers is Italian - also I don't think the guy in this version is even Kid Cudi is he??

No,it wasn?t. It has been named a few things throughout the years but it?s always been pretty similar.

If it becomes a restaurant or cafe then it?ll bear no resemblance to what it used to be from my youth but I?m sure in ten years time there will be lots more changes as always.

Sue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It wasn't Londis for long though was it?

>

> It was a seven eleven in the early nineties (I

> think) and something else after that?

>

> Similar type of shop though.