The East Dulwich Forum does not have a Facebook Group

Administrator

• Administrator

(Re-posting as a reminder)

Hi

The East Dulwich Forum does not have a FaceBook Group.

Someone has stolen the forum's name, phrases such as "Talk about local restaurants, pubs, shops, services, transport, planning, recommendations" and that someone has built a Facebook group on the forum's reputation (it's been going for 14 years!).

We do have a line in our terms that says "If you want to reproduce anything on this website outside of eastdulwichforum.co.uk you must first get permission from the individual message poster or the management". They have not done this.

And if you look up the facebook group the only announcement is an admin recommending another as a cleaner. That cleaner has been barred from the forum numerous times for spamming.

Anyway I just want to make it clear that that the East Dulwich Forum has nothing whatsoever to do with the Facebook Group using its name. I don't want to attempt close the facebook group down as it's obviously useful but I have asked facebook to ask the owners to change the name as it's not fair to use the effort I've put in over 14 years to build up someone else's business. Facebook have refused to implement the rules of copyright, they're too big to care about us.

We are not connected.

Thanks for listening.

Unless you have copyrighted the name be very careful that you do not lose the rights to EDF by allowing this FB page to steal your identity. It would be a costly affair to get back your rights. Think what has happened to Dulwich Hamlet. If you have copyrighted it than you must protect your copyright!

• Administrator

I think you're right, Penguin68 probably meant trademarks but I would rather not spend the ???s for trademark protection. I believe what they are doing is "passing off"...

"?Passing off? is a term used when a company or individual represents themselves in a way that may mislead potential customers into believing that they are dealing with an different, more established company." https://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/p18_copyright_names

• 9 months later...

malumbu Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> How about an enormous Whatsapp Group which pings

> day and night with trivial nonsense. I seem to be

> on a few of these already.

All the MPs in the house of commons (and some of the journalists) seem to be on a few.

I see the leaks in the papers :)