The local elections are on 3rd May - are you registered to vote??

The elections are May 3rd. The deadline for registering is midnight tonight.

All sorts of utter dross this year.

May's Tories and the Brainless Brexit Bunch? - Nope.

Corbyn's Labour and the Mad Momentum Misfits? - Nope.

Greens? - Ha ha... What? You're serious? Nope.

[insert name of pointless single issue party here]? - Nope. Nope. Nope.

So, it's Lib Dems by sheer process of elimination. And frankly, they aren't exactly worth it at the moment, either.

Oh, how I hark for the time not too long ago when the parties all fought over the centre. Now they just take a steaming dump over it.

Sorry - of what value is voting on National issues in a local election? There is nothing any vote of yours in a Southwark election will do to make any changes to the Brexit process. Other than UKIP there are no anti- EU parties standing, although there are two parties (Labour and Conservative) who have pledged to deliver the wishes of a (small) UK majority in favour of Brexit. In parliamentary terms, before the Referendum, every main party other than UKIP in Parliament would have had a majority of MPs in favour of remaining. It was just the people who let down the politicians.

To vote on national issues in a local election is to give up the opportunity to hold local politicians - who operate to an entirely different agenda to national politicians - to account for their rule or their terms of opposition locally. If you use the national agenda to influence your voting then you will have no right to moan if local politicians, acting on local issues, then do, or don't do, what you would want, or fail to deliver on promises on local issues that you will have evidently ignored by allowing the national agenda to influence your vote.

Make your decisions on the record or promises of local candidates for local government. Don't think that you will 'send messages' to Westminster - the only messages (and candidates) you will be sending are to Tooley St.

No anti-EU parties? You're joking. Those that matter in the Tories and Labour are very much anti-EU.

Labour got my vote in the last GE because they appeared at the time to offer the best option of reversing Brexit. Well I was taken in by it as were many others.

The only value of voting on a National issue in the locals is to send the main parties a message nationally. I'm happy to lose the right to moan. Many EU citizens and others are losing a lot more.

Besides, I usually vote for the Lib Dems locally anyway.

Most electors should of received there polling card now. There has been some boundary changes, so some will now be voting in new wards for the first time.

The deadline for postal votes was on the 18th April, so if you have missed this date, you can no longer apply for a postal vote. If an elector will be unable to attend a polling station on May 3rd, you can apply for a proxy vote, which allows someone else to attend the polling station and cast a vote on your behalf. The deadline for applying for a proxy vote is 5pm 25th April 2018.

If your not registered to vote, you have left it too late, but you can check if you are registered, and you dont need a polling card to cast a vote.

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/council-and-democracy/voting-and-elections/2018-borough-council-elections

lavender27 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I haven't been sent a polling card, have you?

Hello Lavender27, Polling cards have already been sent out, they arrived on electors door mats a few weeks back. Please give electoral services a call tomorrow to check if you are registered to vote.

I vote for the Lib Dems locally- after all ED is quite nice apart from the endless ugly extensions on old victorian properties that the Labour council pass- and all the blocks of flats-they probably think- oohh yeah- turn a 4 bed family house into 3 flats, or 10 ooohhh yeah- think of the votes!

lavender27 Wrote:

> I haven't been sent a polling card, have you?

If you are registered to vote you do not need to take your Polling Card to vote. ( It says so on the card)

DulwichFox

Hi Lavender,

just to confirm what DulwichFox says is correct. The only thing to add, you may possibly have changed polling station. Either check with a neighbour or ring Southwark on 02075255000 and ask for Electoral Services and they can tell you.

Renata

Loz Wrote:

> The elections are May 3rd. The deadline for

> registering is midnight tonight.

>

> All sorts of utter dross this year.

>

> May's Tories and the Brainless Brexit Bunch? -

> Nope.

> Corbyn's Labour and the Mad Momentum Misfits? -

> Nope.

> Greens? - Ha ha... What? You're serious? Nope.

> ? - Nope. Nope. Nope.

>

> So, it's Lib Dems by sheer process of elimination.

> And frankly, they aren't exactly worth it at the

> moment, either.

>

> Oh, how I hark for the time not too long ago when

> the parties all fought over the centre. Now they

> just take a steaming dump over it.

Thats very true. we really dont have much of a choice.

So we have three votes.. Goose Green Ward ???

Well One of my Votes will go to The Womens Equality Party.

They deserve a voice.

As for the rest of them. They can whistle.

DulwichFox

Jules-and-Boo Wrote:

> I would vote for any party who refuses to get into

> bed with Trump over NHS reforms.

The Stormy Daniels party it is then.

All done and dusted..

My vote will make very difference. but it is a nice day and I needed a walk.

All very quiet at Darrell road Polling Station.

I suppose many will vote later tonight.

Don't think many people really care.

As Ken Livingtone once said " If voting changed anything, they'd abolish it"

The title of his book of which I have a hardback copy signed by Ken.

Might be worth something one day.

Foxy