Roadworks top of Lordship Lane

Hi

Does anyone know how long these works are scheduled to last? It?s causing chaos getting to denmark hill (and forest hill is still only being served by the 185). I know I could walk but I have a time constraint meaning I can?t leave home until a particular time.

Thanks v much!

I just can't understand why these works weren't all packaged together with the last 3 times they set up temporary lights and closed the bus stop in the last 6 months. The cost savings would have been enormous not to mention the reduction in total chaos. And yet still the dilapidated section of road between GG and EDG remains untouched in an island-like state with every adjoining road now repaved. The people managing these works must be about the most incompetent of their kind in existence.

At least the roadworks at Goose Green will be complete on Friday. However, Dartmouth Road in Forest Hill has been closed since Jan 29th with only tarmac needing to be laid before it can reopen.

It was supposed to reopen tomorrow (Apr 19), but has been put back week after week when it was supposed to reopen in March. A farcical situation.

Penguinpost Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Personally I?d say the top is the end which is

> further north? Goose green is at the north end of

> LL. What reason would you put for it being

> ?bottom??

I've always thought of the roundabout end as being the "bottom" end, too! Possibly because it's at the bottom of a hill.

I took one look at the traffic situation yesterday and completely changed my (public transport) travel plans into town. I feel really sorry for anybody who doesn't have an alternative route they can take.

mikeb Wrote:

> Between the roadworks on Lordship Lane and at the

> top of Grove Lane, it's taking about 30 minutes to

> get a bus for the 1 mile trip to Denmark Hill.

> Maddening.

While I appreciate it?s not possible for everyone, if it?s really taking 30 minutes, able-bodied people without luggage would surely be better walking. Even with the hill, it would take less than 30 mins for most. However, with luggage tomorrow, I will allow for extra time. Thanks for the warning.

Totally agree on walking, pre children I walked to D Hill every weekday for years, from south of the main LL shops. 25 mins. Now i have exactly 20 minutes from childcare arriving to getting the train and the bus has been fine until now! Hopefully next week it?s back to normal.

The Goose Green roundabout is at the 'bottom' of Dog Kennel Hill (and Grove Vale) - but at the 'top' of Lordship Lane. Not only does Lordship Lane head due south from Goose Green (so it's at the top of a map normally oriented with North at the top) but it's at the start of a road which leads away from Central London - again going out of town south of the river is often seen as heading 'down' - when going in to Town is going 'up to town' (from wherever you are). So saying the roundabout is 'at the top' of Lordship lane seems eminently logical, if you are using LL as the determinant. Using DKH or Grove Vale as the determinant would of course make it 'bottom of'.

Penguin68 Wrote:

> The Goose Green roundabout is at the 'bottom' of

> Dog Kennel Hill (and Grove Vale) - but at the

> 'top' of Lordship Lane. Not only does Lordship

> Lane head due south from Goose Green (so it's at

> the top of a map normally oriented with North at

> the top) but it's at the start of a road which

> leads away from Central London - again going out

> of town south of the river is often seen as

> heading 'down' - when going in to Town is going

> 'up to town' (from wherever you are). So saying

> the roundabout is 'at the top' of Lordship lane

> seems eminently logical, if you are using LL as

> the determinant. Using DKH or Grove Vale as the

> determinant would of course make it 'bottom of'.

That was worth waiting for... not.

Bringing the thread back to it's original topic/ purpose, the extended yellow lines in my immediate area have taken around x4 car spaces from each road and the bike 'bunkers' an additional x1 space. With parking becoming a bit of an issue for various reasons I personally dont find a benefit to the extended lines (where we are the old spacing at junctions was sufficient to avoid safety problems in my opinion). Hope that helps give you one persons perspective.

Just tried to navigate my way in the car to Bromley via LL, what chaos. I waited for 15 minutes to get from one side of PR park to the plough via EDR. I gave up and came home. Before the regular moaners get involved, I tried two separate routes both of which were unacceptably congested. I am have now abandoned my plans for the day, and will be forcing myself to jump a train tomorrow instead. Not at all happy.

Louisa.

Just to stray off-topic momentarily, if you think that's bad, you need to experience the chaos all around Victoria, Buckingham Palace, the parks, down to Whitehall, etc, due to this Commonwealth Heads of Government event. Roads not just closed to traffic but also pedestrians, compounded by stewards employed with absolutely no knowledge of London streets and therefore unable to inform you of alternative routes. Been such a nightmare this past three days that I'm seriously thinking of giving it a miss today. It's on until next Tuesday apparently. Should be even greater fun when combined with the Marathon this Sunday!!

FightingFit Wrote:

> Penguin68 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > The Goose Green roundabout is at the 'bottom'

> of

> > Dog Kennel Hill (and Grove Vale) - but at the

> > 'top' of Lordship Lane. Not only does Lordship

> > Lane head due south from Goose Green (so it's

> at

> > the top of a map normally oriented with North

> at

> > the top) but it's at the start of a road which

> > leads away from Central London - again going

> out

> > of town south of the river is often seen as

> > heading 'down' - when going in to Town is going

> > 'up to town' (from wherever you are). So saying

> > the roundabout is 'at the top' of Lordship lane

> > seems eminently logical, if you are using LL as

> > the determinant. Using DKH or Grove Vale as the

> > determinant would of course make it 'bottom

> of'.

>

> That was worth waiting for... not.

I thought it was an interesting and lucid explanation.