Digging up wild garlic - please don't, and it's illegal...

I came across a woman in Sydenham Woods last weekend busily digging up a wild garlic plant "to plant in my garden". When I asked to stop because in the woods everyone could enjoy them and explained that it was against the law she said airily "I don't think it is".

So owner of the great dane or anyone who knows her, here's the thing...

Under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, it is unlawful to uproot any wild plant without permission from the landowner or occupier. To uproot (digging) a plant means to 'dig up or otherwise remove the plant from the land on which it is growing', whether or not it actually has roots. Even plants growing wild are the legal property of somebody as they have been cultivated and under the Theft Act, 1968, it is an offence to uproot plants for commercial purposes without seeking authorisation.

My first reading of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 is that the uprooting is, as Amanda says, an offence, under s.13(1)(b). Section 13(2) makes trying to sell it a separate offence. Wild garlic doesn't seem to be on the Protected list in Schedule 8. If it were, that would make even picking it an offence. The Act distinguishes 'uprooting' and 'picking'. https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1981/69/part/I/crossheading/protection-of-plants. I don't know about any specific Theft Act provision.

On Twitter, Sydenham Hill Wood and the Wildlife Trust have made it quite clear:

"Hi, please be aware that visitors do not have permission or rights to forage wild garlic or other plants in Sydenham Hill Wood or Dulwich Wood. This plant is an ancient woodland indicator and its populations are recovering across both sites. Please do not forage wild plants."

I despair at the thoughtlessness of many urban "foragers".

Huggers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I've got loads of wild garlic, it's suffocated

> everything else in the garden. PM me if you want a

> small clump

Bluebells and Garlic together are great in the woods.... but maybe not if it takes over the garden.

Strongcoffee Wrote:

> Not at all,

> I like a debate,

> We?re all entitled to opinions,

> As long there not hate or violence,

> Your response tells me volumes.

I assumed you were just here to troll after reading a number of recent posts from you, all of which were heavy-handed, jeering put-downs. I didn't see any that looked like discussion or debate, but I'll be happy to be proved wrong.

Strongcoffee Wrote:

> What?s all this ?troll? nonsense?

> Why are people so sensitive?

> Arguing, discussions, are all part of life.

> If your hurt by somebody?s opinion,

> That hurts or doesn?t agree with your views.

> Then why comment with a nasty word ?troll ?

Don?t worry about it Strongcoffee, it?s part and parcel of the EDf experience. I?ve been called a troll for years, Water off a ducks rear nowadays.

Mind you, for some on here, if the cap fits.....

Louisa.

I've had some pop up naturally in my font garden awhile ago... so best keep my location secret before its overrun with urban foragers gagging for some wild garlic pesto for their kids packed lunches (not far from the woods so possibly seeded from there)

To be honest if you dig up whole plants from somewhere thats not your property, you either feel you're very entitled or are just plain ignorant .... some git pulled up an acer from my front garden a couple of years ago so I'm probably just biased and bitter.

(sings let it go whilst rocking back and forth)

Cycling down the Thames path I saw a small group of 'motley' people. They were picking wild rocket and (can't remember the other plant) and we had a nice chat about foraging. I say motley as they were from all over the world and where foraging was much more common.

When I stayed in Sweden we foraged wild strawberries, redcurrants and chantrelles. Small population lot of wild spaces.

Not the organised gangs that pick forests bear of wild mushrooms for the trendy greengrocers.

Anyway advice on (a) when to plant wild garlic (bulbs or clumps) (b) what to plant in my own garden (wild strawberries?)