Badger Bakery

Hi does anyone know anything about Harri?s kitchen that?s replacing Badger Bakery? I saw it was getting refurbished but just seen on their Facebook page that it?s been sold and it?s now going to be Harri?s kitchen. Does anyone know is it still going to be a bakery or just a cafe now? Won?t be the same without Badgers. Thanks

We used to be regular customers at Badgers for many years but noticed that when they branched out to selling meals, they stocked less and less bakery products especially bread. Hubby would go in early morning to find all sold out of bread, other times he was given a loaf free as it was left over from the day before and they were not allowed to sell it. One server admitted that they rarely had more than 10 or 12 loaves each day and this included bread which they used for sandwiches.

Food was good - friends who used the Bread of Life Caf? in Christ Church, used to go to Badgers at the weekend for meals when BoL were closed.

Pugwash Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> We used to be regular customers at Badgers for

> many years but noticed that when they branched out

> to selling meals, they stocked less and less

> bakery products especially bread.

It seemed to have lost its niche as a general baker when the Sainsbury's appeared. Though the core range (cakes, pastries and sandwiches) stayed more or less the same, there were notable disappearances. I know many were sad to see the green fondant frogs disappear, followed by the framlingtons and, eventually, the currant buns. But the eccles, the turnovers, the cornish pasties and even the spinach and ricotta slice, kept going throughout.

I don't know about the sandwich side of things, but it seems to have been well-used as a cafe, and the wooden terrazza out front has been very popular with the funeral directors, who can keep an eye on the door of the church while guzzling their elevenses. Inside, it became an actual place, a temperant alternative to the Plough and more nourishing than the Library.

I hope it'll do well. The new owners have extended the kitchen and hope to concentrate on the food, rather than the bakery which wasn't doing well with all the competition. But the Badger Bakery will live on, to some extent, with its name immortalised in the railings. I don't think they'd noticed as, when I asked, they said they were next-door's railings, which clearly makes no sense. But senseless or not they will, until rust takes them, bear witness to the commercial archaeology of one of Dulwich's most recognisable minor junctions.

I think people had to resort to Sainsburys' to get bread, we did (reluctantly). If Badgers could have guaranteed an adequate supply of fresh bread daily, we would have continued to shop there. They made lovely bread pudding from leftover loaves.

bloodoranges Wrote:

> Going to struggle finding scotch pies for my

> boyfriend in Sainsbury's

Oh blimey, did they sell Scotch pies? The ones with mutton in?

I wish I'd known, I love those!

They were excellent!!

Sue Wrote:

> bloodoranges Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Going to struggle finding scotch pies for my

> > boyfriend in Sainsbury's

>

>

> Oh blimey, did they sell Scotch pies? The ones

> with mutton in?

>

> I wish I'd known, I love those!

ozzy Wrote:

> Hi , I don't know if this is helpful to anyone

> ,but I used to work in Truly Scrumptious and we

> sold scotch pies and green frogs .

Oh thanks, I'll have a look, never noticed Scotch pies in there.

I think I'll give the green frogs a miss though :))

Went to Harri?s Kitchen for brunch on its opening day - delicious Eggs Royale, the perfect poached eggs!

My friend had a full breakfast and it?s great to see an independent coffee shop using locally sourced products (William Rose).

Will be back again this weekend!

Went in there yesterday to get a take away sandwich - no menu on outside and managed to squeeze in the shop (several people waiting for service) all I could see was bacon sandwich ?3.90 all the other sandwiches were ?5.90 What was in the I could not see as writing too small to determine from the distance I was from the board. Friends also went on launch day and said they were very busy and some orders got muddled up.

I second this statement. My hubby and I both had Eggs Royale at Harri?s kitchen and it was delicious. They had a range of breads and cup cakes which looked yum but we didn?t have space for them. My hubby was happy to have gluten free bread with his eggs too. The patio area is pleasant; catches lots of sun :-)