Barclays Bank Lordship Lane

Is it just because I'm getting old, or does everything seem to take a ridiculously long time these days? When I was a student I sometimes worked for a friend's father's office fitting company in the summer vacation; often we'd do offices in the city where they had to be refitted between close of business one day and opening the next, so we'd refit a large trading floor overnight, or at worst over a weekend. Now any roadworks, refits etc seem to take extraordinary amounts of time...

singalto Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I was told that it is closing in June for 11 weeks

> to have more self service machines installed.

It's the model Barclays use in a lot of their branches now. Basically it becomes a self service bank with a member of staff supervising. It coincides with the closure of their Forest Hill branch as well.

eastdulwich_dweller Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Large trading floors pay for the service to be

> done quickly as they lose more money each day

> things aren't running. Retail banking (where more

> and more people are banking online and businesses

> are taking cards) is a lot slower on the refit

> front.

Barclays made ?3bn+ profit last year, they could afford to do it more quickly, closing a branch for eleven weeks is just showing contempt for their customers, especially their elderly customers who rely on "real" banks more than most.

The queues would be a lot shorter if they'd revert to the old idea of paying-in envelopes one could post in their machine. I was told it was an attempt to thwart money laundering. I felt like a very low level launderer paying in a cheque for ?5.00

I?m sure I?m not alone when it comes to being frustrated at the long queues at this branch. However, considering that a disproportionate number of in-branch customers are now probably over the age of 65, I do hope someone will be on hand to help with the technology upgrades. I certainly would struggle with some aspects of this type of do it yourself system.

Also, to reiterate my previous post. Will the cash machines remain in operation throughout the refit? Many pensioners were recently forced to have state pension payments paid directly into bank accounts by DWP, rather than P.O. accounts. For some, this means that using cash machines are restricted for certain accounts to the banks own cash machines.

Louisa.