Upland Road to Green Park commute

Hi everyone,

We are moving to Upland road in the next couple of months (really excited) and wondered whether anyone had anything positive to say about a commute from East Dulwich to the West End. We both work in and around the Green Park area and every single site I am looking at is suggesting we need to take a bus and then two tube lines to get to where we want to be. That sounds quite awful so wondered if others are doing the same journey and if you know the likelihood of being able to get on the buses during rush hour and whether it takes a lot longer than the estimated 45 minutes Google suggests.

Any advice very much appreciated

Zoe

In my general role as EDF bike advocate/bore, if you fancy cycling you can get from ED to Green Park in half an hour or so by bike, with only about a mile and a half on quiet roads and the rest on segregated cycle paths. If you ever need a guide to the route some Sunday give me a shout, Mrs H and I would be happy to show you the way, or check out the Southwark Cyclist bike trains - Sally Eva of this forum a good person to talk to. Cheers, Rendel

I'd cycle to Brixton and get the tube as that's quickest, most reliable and you'll always get a seat, plus on the rare occasion the tube's shut when you get there you've got the safety net of Brixton overground to Victoria or buses.

My second favourite option is the train from ED or PR to London Bridge, change there for Charing X, then walk. Faster than buses.

Crossing the river on any bus route at rush hour can take ages, but if you don't mind that or you like reading on the way to work, you could get the number 12 from Barry Rd all the way to Piccadilly Circus. It's not the fastest route but as it starts at the top of Barry Rd you'll always get a seat.

I used to do this daily a few years ago (before moving out of ED) from Dunstans road (the library end). So my info may be out of date. Unfortunately there are many ways but none very fast and it depends what time of day you are leaving. If you can get a 185 before 645am then 185 to Vauxhall then tube was fastest. But this route was becoming slower and slower due to growing traffic and road changes/works. The p4 to Brixton plus tube is a nice way but again you have to get out before the traffic builds up. If I left at peak time the quickest way was to get to Forest Hill then get overground to Canada Water and change to jubilee. I did this because at the time trains for ed to London Bridge were not reliable. Perhaps they are now and that might be a good way to go. Going back to Forest Hill will cost you more as is zone 3. If you live the Peckham side of upland consider doing overground at Peckham change to jubilee. It?s a very quick change at Canada Water and you are not walking for ages in a tunnel. I ended up moving further away to Sydenham and it is much quicker but the coffee not as good. Swings and roundabouts eh?

Hi, thanks to Rendel.

Yup, I am the secretary of Southwark Cyclists which is the borough branch of the London Cycling Campaign.

It is dead easy cycle from ED to Green Park and takes me about 40 minutes (I'm 65 and slow). it's a lovely summer route through parks, back streets and the segregated lanes up blackfriars and the Embankment. Safe all the way.

We do Bike Taxis which are any time buddying to your destination and the Bike Train which is a group ride to central London and then on (in your case) to Green Park.

Cycling may not be your thing or it may seem like a big step so there are various ways to start cycling (try https://www.cycleconfident.com/sponsors/southwark/ free) and social cycle rides to get used to peaceful cycling round the area you live in (also free). I put our social rides on the forum What's On.

We do loads of stuff and it's hard to describe it all here. You can look at our website https://southwarkcyclists.org.uk

PM me or text/ring me on 07842 640 207.

Sally

zoester Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi everyone,

>

> We are moving to Upland road in the next couple of

> months (really excited) and wondered whether

> anyone had anything positive to say about a

> commute from East Dulwich to the West End. We both

> work in and around the Green Park area and every

> single site I am looking at is suggesting we need

> to take a bus and then two tube lines to get to

> where we want to be. That sounds quite awful so

> wondered if others are doing the same journey and

> if you know the likelihood of being able to get on

> the buses during rush hour and whether it takes a

> lot longer than the estimated 45 minutes Google

> suggests.

>

> Any advice very much appreciated

>

> Zoe

The one thing that the apps do not suggest is the walk from Victoria. I would not try to get on the tube at Victoria - too grim - so train from Peckham Rye to Victoria and walk. It is quite a nice walk once you get away from Victoria - Buckingham Palace and through the park.

My daily commute is to Green Park from the Goose Green end of Lordship Lane:

Any double decker bus to Denmark Hill station and then the train to Victoria. The 38 bus from Victoria station goes down Piccadilly and stops at Green Park station. This morning my commute took 45 minutes door to door.

If you don't fancy cycling the whole way, Honor Oak and Peckham Rye stations are both within half an hour's walk depending on where exactly on Upland you are. The Overground / Jubilee journey to Green Park is regular (every 7-8 minutes at Honor Oak Park) and fairly brief, 25 minutes. Both lines do get unpleasantly crowded at the absolute height of rush hour but are fine the rest of the time, so if you have some flexibility in arrival time, use it to your advantage.

There's plenty of buses along the Rye towards the station but they're not that much quicker than walking. Handy in wet or wintry weather though. From Peckham Rye you're spoilt for choice: Overground to Canada Water every 15 minute then Jubilee; Southern to London Bridge & Jubilee; Thameslink to Blackfriars & District; or SouthEastern to Victoria & District. The National Rail services don't have the best reputation for punctuality or reliability - and deservedly so - but with so many to choose from you can't go far wrong.

IIRC they were piloting Brompton bike rental docks at Peckham Rye station which can get you home station in under ten minutes without breaking a sweat. Not sure if that's still going but worth looking in to it. Honor Oak on the other hand is over a big hill from you.. not really any point in cycling that, you'd be better off going to Brixton or the whole way in to town - further but basically flat.

Depending on where you are in Green Park area, it's about a 20 min walk from Victoria. On the odd occasion I'm not on the bike I get the train from PR to Vic and walk to Knightsbridge, which is about the same distance from vic station.

Just cycle though, it's miles better for you and you will become as smug as the rest of us.