Is it me or has the school run got even worse?

Cycling from near ED station to home, close to DV central, at least five drivers forced me to a loud, brake-screaming emergency stop to avoid being hit as they overtook with inches to spare, or pulled in and braked, or failed to stop turning across my path from the oncoming side or (congratulations, you're the winner!) having parked on the opposite side of the road from their direction of travel, pulled out of it in front of me while I was cycling downhill. Doesn't matter how much you pull the 'charming mummy' smile, love, I still don't have power-assisted braking.

I've also noticed that every morning and afternoon the DV junction is a chorus of car horns. Presumably they're venting frustration with the new junction.

Idiots.

Both volume and aggression levels seem higher. Perhaps it's inevitable given we now have more schools and school places, as well as new flats and housing developments bringing more people into the area. My own road is rammed morning and evening with drivers dropping off or picking up kids, as well as teachers parking all day. Bring on the CPZ.

I'm not convinced the new DV junction is helping. It's not just parents as van drivers seem to be taking it personally too. Hope it's sorted out before building work starts on the old Audi site as that's really not going to help.

I'm so ready to move somewhere else, to be honest.

Peckham must be due to all the roadworks and traffic diversions. Agree the dv junction is problematic.

There needs to be a yellow box it the bttom of court lane. Some cars cannot turn right

As the way is blocked by cars waiting at the lights - which in turn backs up to the whole junction. Similarly

The way ahead fron turney to calton is so wibbly wobbly that i have had cars going in the oppo direction

Turn right without realising who has the right of way.

Most people seem to drive 'cars' slightly smaller than a Hummer these days....the roads around here are very narrow especially due to extra parked cars from commuters and the blocks of flats going up and house conversions that are going on necessitating a skip in the road every 200 yards- the place is a joke

Mr Ben Bradshaw (Exeter) (Lab)

Has the Secretary of State noted the very striking finding in our joint Committees report [1] that the fumes and pollution inside a vehicle are 10 times worse than those outside a vehicle[2]? As part of the public information campaign that he has just announced, will he ensure that it is directed at parents who drive their children to school, thinking they are protecting them when they are actually doing them much more harm than if they walked or cycled, as well as exposing other people?s children and families to more pollution and congestion?

Michael Gove

Absolutely spot on. I am very grateful to the right hon. Gentleman for making that point. All of us need to know more about the sources of air pollution, and he is absolutely right. I did not appreciate that until the Select Committees brought it to my attention, and I am grateful to him for bringing it to the attention of a wider audience today.

H of C, Hansard 22 May 2018, Vol.641, Col.719 https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commons/2018-05-22/debates/1D0F3486-7AC3-449A-A5F3-DDF2EBFF672E/TransportEmissionsUrbanAreas

[1] "Improving Air Quality" report, HC 433, 7 March 2018, available at https://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/health-committee/inquiries/parliament-2017/improving-air-quality-17-19/

[2} Oral evidence of Prof.Stephen Holgate, 23 November 2017, Q9, Q13-15 --- "Up to 10 times. It varies, obviously."

Thanks for sharing that, ianr. I didn't know that and it's a powerful argument against the school run, which is such a big part of rush hour traffic volume (towards DV at at rate there's not much of a rush hour outside termtime). Unfortunately most people still see cars as status symbols, which makes you wonder what kind of campaign would help wean them off.

Nothing new. It's been 15+ years since we did the school run on bikes but the level of rubbish driving and discourtesy was bad even then. We would pedal down Ruskin Walk where the little darlings would be dropped off at the nearby nursery and doors would be routinely flung open as we passed-by.

We made light of the journey, calling the mums deserving members of the DDC (Dulwich Door Club) but we always reached school in one piece and with smiles on our faces - whereas the mums always looked exhausted and angry.

I often wonder how it turned out for them.

It?s an inconvenient truth folks. Human activity is responsible for most air pollution. Our right to drive what we like, when we like, how we like and where we like, and no politicians being serious enough to challenge this, is much of the problem. We can witter on but need a fundamental change in society. But great to do our bit. Happy to debate around a pint sometime. Diesel vs petrol is just a side show. Less (miles) is more.

Should I worry about air pollution?

In 2016 a report from the Royal College of Physicians stated that each year in the UK, around 40,000 deaths are attributable to exposure to outdoor air pollution. This means that air pollution is now one of the leading causes of preventable deaths. Air pollution has also been linked to conditions ranging from cardiovascular disease to dementia, Alzheimer?s and stroke. Children in particular are at risk because they breathe fast and being shorter, are nearer the exhaust pipes of cars.

Studies in the UK have shown that air pollution can slow the development of children?s lungs. Childhood exposure is important because our lungs stop growing when we are about 18 and anything that impedes that growth is irreversible, so it can have lifelong consequences.

The key problem is tiny particulate matter (or PM) ? solid and liquid particles too small to be filtered out by our noses, which end up going straight down into our lungs. Our bodies have a defence against such invaders ? cells called macrophages which can ?eat up? these particles and clear them out of our lungs again. The problem is keeping PM levels low enough to ensure that our macrophages can keep up.

Several studies have managed to find simple ways in which we can all reduce our PM exposure when outside:

Children are at risk of exposure when being dropped at the school gates where cars are often left idling and particulate pollution can build up. So a quick drop-off, and fewer cars at the school gates is important. Don?t leave engines running whilst you wait for the school to open.

People are exposed to a lot of pollution when driving. Cars do not provide protection from traffic fumes. Most vehicle air inlets sit at the front of a car, directly behind the exhaust pipe of the car in front, drawing polluted air straight in. So leave as much room as you can behind the car in front and keep windows and air vents closed when in heavy traffic.

Despite taking longer to complete a journey, when walking you are exposed to half the amount of pollution to a person travelling by car. When walking, keep on the side of the pavement furthest from the traffic and choose quieter back streets when possible. Just one step in from the road can make a difference.

Research conducted by Dr Rossa Brugha, a leading asthma researcher from Queen Mary University of London and Professor of Environmental Health, Frank Kelly from Kings College London.

When you cycle in this weather you can't fail to notice the effect that barbecues (and fire pits etc) add to this, as do open fires and woodburning stoves in winter. If the Mayor or Government were genuinely committed to improving air quality it would be a simple (of course I'm not suggesting popular) matter to ban them in urban areas.

I didn't suggest instead of! If you read what I actually wrote, I'm suggesting a growing source of air pollution that also needs looking at if the Govt is serious about tackling the problem. I really feel for all the people (I'm one) who have breathing difficulties and can't have their windows open or sit in their garden in this weather, or even dry their washing outside, just because people around them are having barbecues.

You should always have an open window when you can. Especially if you have breathing problems. If you read any air pollution research the biggest pollutants are in our homes. Our house air is more toxic than the air outside, regardless of where you live. It is the air in your home which is stagnant and full chemical and formaldehyde pollution from your paint, carpets and especially kitchen cabinetry etc. You can also introduce plants into your home which are proven to help with air pollutants. Cheap plants like spider plants etc are often the best at this.

malumbu Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It?s an inconvenient truth folks. Human activity

> is responsible for most air pollution. Our right

> to drive what we like, when we like, how we like

> and where we like, and no politicians being

> serious enough to challenge this, is much of the

> problem. We can witter on but need a fundamental

> change in society. But great to do our bit.

> Happy to debate around a pint sometime. Diesel vs

> petrol is just a side show. Less (miles) is more.

and this why wood burning stoves were ever allowed back to smokeless London I'll never know - if you have one hang your head in shame.

It is estimated that between a quarter and a third of all of London?s particulate pollution comes from domestic fires. In January, during a period of high air pollution, it contributed half such emissions in some areas of the capital, according to King?s College London research.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/may/26/wood-burner-open-fire-pollution-cleaning-up-air-quality