Vastly inflated commercial event in P Rye Park

Some months ago residents near Peckham Rye Park were sent forms from Southwark Council, informing them of an upcoming commercial event in the park. The map showed a fenced off area stretching from down-slope of the path to the boys' school, down the hill to the treeline, and less than halfway across to the longitudinal treeline further within the park, beyond the circular path.

This document was a fabrication. A calculated deception. As of today, 'security' (hoho!) thugs are aggressively patrolling the ENTIRE WESTERN area of the park, threatening and hassling people trying to use our public space. A vast area has been summarily privatised, running from the top corner, as far inwards as the upper path, to the circular path down the hill, to the treeline near the oval. Who knows if it will end there . . ?

This little amplified jolly could very easily have been accomodated towards the bottom end of the Rye paddock itself. But THAT might have bothered that category of park user so grotesquely favoured by this council: football players. So, no, instead it has been jammed up into the Park. However inappropriately, whatever park users think. As ever, Southwark does EXACTLY what it wants to do.

Every time I think this disgusting local authority can go no lower, it does so. It is totally complicit in this land grab. Senior council officers are totally out of control, totally beyond the reach of democratic accountability. And our spineless elected representatives are too terrified to say a word. At least one local councillor constantly claims to be "listening" on the EDF, but watch now: the silence will be total.

Welcome to the future citizens. Whoever control has been taken 'back' from, it hasn't COME to you. Rather, it was certainly taken FROM you.

Lee Scoresby

Similar thing with Brockwell Park, much of which is now disappearing behind a board wall high enough to block sun and views for people wanting to use the part that's left. I'm not sure if this is for one event or many, but I assume the three-day festival weekend after next. I assume the ever-growing number of events is due to councils looking for revenue. All very nice for incoming visitors but local residents are going to have a tough time with noise, cooking smoke, litter and drunk behaviour. This is what summer's like around here now.

Robert Poste's Child Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Similar thing with Brockwell Park, much of which

> is now disappearing behind a board wall high

> enough to block sun and views for people wanting

> to use the part that's left. I'm not sure if this

> is for one event or many, but I assume the

> three-day festival weekend after next. I assume

> the ever-growing number of events is due to

> councils looking for revenue. All very nice for

> incoming visitors but local residents are going to

> have a tough time with noise, cooking smoke,

> litter and drunk behaviour. This is what summer's

> like around here now.

Even with all this - no excuse for the security staff not to be polite and especially not threatening to local residents (can't stand that sort of 80s bouncer tactics)

ollieloudon Wrote:

> It's one week, let people have good time. Move on.

> Every corner of London have such events in their

> parks why should SE be exempt, just because you

> have no interest in attending don't automatically

> overlook the fact they many people do.

I'm not complaining about the event - just the politeness of the staff - attendees won't like it either if you have bullying bouncers throwing their weight around (OK so far we only have the original post alleging that - but if it becomes a recurring theme there's an issue)_

I'm trying to read between Lee's vitriolic spittle soaked lines here, is the fence actually different to the map? And how exactly are security aggressively patrolling the site? Depending on your hearing filter one man's "excuse me please can you mind out whilst this vehicle comes through" is another's "get out the way you scumbag so this tank can run over the common land that your taxes pay for".

I have to say the line up looks awesome: Scruff, Norman Jay, Carter and Wilson!

Wouldn't be bothered but the GALA event is awful... there's probably a reason they didn't want to host it in Brockwell again. Caged in with dodgy alcohol licences / no cash transactions / steep prices ... at one point we were told we weren't allowed to leave the empty festival. Other than that the music looks good...

Mark Wrote:

> I'm trying to read between Lee's vitriolic spittle

> soaked lines here, is the fence actually different

> to the map? And how exactly are security

> aggressively patrolling the site? Depending on

> your hearing filter one man's "excuse me please

> can you mind out whilst this vehicle comes

> through" is another's "get out the way you scumbag

> so this tank can run over the common land that

> your taxes pay for".

>

> I have to say the line up looks awesome: Scruff,

> Norman Jay, Carter and Wilson!

yeah seems to be a theme with Lee's posts always seem very emotive and dare I say exaggerated & narrow-minded

JohnL Wrote:

>

> I'm not complaining about the event - just the

> politeness of the staff - attendees won't like it

> either if you have bullying bouncers throwing

> their weight around (OK so far we only have the

> original post alleging that - but if it becomes a

> recurring theme there's an issue)_

Lee's complaint was regarding just about everything he could complain about considering the event hasn't even taken place yet , So it wasnt just about staff attitude

ollieloudon Wrote:

> JohnL Wrote:

>

> >

> > I'm not complaining about the event - just the

> > politeness of the staff - attendees won't like

> it

> > either if you have bullying bouncers throwing

> > their weight around (OK so far we only have the

> > original post alleging that - but if it becomes

> a

> > recurring theme there's an issue)_

>

> Lee's complaint was regarding just about

> everything he could complain about considering the

> event hasn't even taken place yet , So it wasnt

> just about staff attitude

What if local people want to use the park over the bank holiday weekend? A park we bloody well pay for. Just to keep some festival lovers happy. They should consult the local community before putting this loud, messy event on, IMO.

But who cares what I or anyone else thinks, as long as some posh 18-30 year old out of towners have a good time.

Louisa.

Louisa Wrote:

> ollieloudon Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > JohnL Wrote:

> >

> > >

> > > I'm not complaining about the event - just

> the

> > > politeness of the staff - attendees won't

> like

> > it

> > > either if you have bullying bouncers throwing

> > > their weight around (OK so far we only have

> the

> > > original post alleging that - but if it

> becomes

> > a

> > > recurring theme there's an issue)_

> >

> > Lee's complaint was regarding just about

> > everything he could complain about considering

> the

> > event hasn't even taken place yet , So it wasnt

> > just about staff attitude

>

> What if local people want to use the park over the

> bank holiday weekend? A park we bloody well pay

> for. Just to keep some festival lovers happy. They

> should consult the local community before putting

> this loud, messy event on, IMO.

>

> But who cares what I or anyone else thinks, as

> long as some posh 18-30 year old out of towners

> have a good time.

>

> Louisa.

My god your worse than Lee, I know loads of people from the local area who are attending not just 'out of towners'. God forbid you cant use a portion of the park one weekend in the entire year so other people can enjoy thenselves. Maybe You should broaden your mind, buy a ticket and have a good time. It might stop you being so bitter online in the future.

Louisa Wrote:

> They should consult the local community before putting

> this loud, messy event on, IMO.

Lee Scoresby Wrote:

> Some months ago residents near Peckham Rye Park were sent

> forms from Southwark Council, informing them of an upcoming

> commercial event in the park.

And please do let us into your time machine that shows it's going to be messy, and be posh out of towners blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah zzzzzzzzzzzz

Anyway, I hear Horse Meat Disco are particularly good this time of year.

ollieloudon Wrote:

> Louisa Wrote:

> -----

> > ollieloudon Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > JohnL Wrote:

> > >

> > > >

> > > > I'm not complaining about the event - just

> > the

> > > > politeness of the staff - attendees won't

> > like

> > > it

> > > > either if you have bullying bouncers

> throwing

> > > > their weight around (OK so far we only have

> > the

> > > > original post alleging that - but if it

> > becomes

> > > a

> > > > recurring theme there's an issue)_

> > >

> > > Lee's complaint was regarding just about

> > > everything he could complain about

> considering

> > the

> > > event hasn't even taken place yet , So it

> wasnt

> > > just about staff attitude

> >

> > What if local people want to use the park over

> the

> > bank holiday weekend? A park we bloody well pay

> > for. Just to keep some festival lovers happy.

> They

> > should consult the local community before

> putting

> > this loud, messy event on, IMO.

> >

> > But who cares what I or anyone else thinks, as

> > long as some posh 18-30 year old out of towners

> > have a good time.

> >

> > Louisa.

>

> My god your worse than Lee, I know loads of people

> from the local area who are attending not just

> 'out of towners'. God forbid you cant use a

> portion of the park one weekend in the entire year

> so other people can enjoy thenselves. Maybe You

> should broaden your mind, buy a ticket and have a

> good time. It might stop you being so bitter

> online in the future.

So is this event aimed at local young people from all backgrounds, or is it priced so as to attract wealthier younger people who are new to the area? Maybe I don?t want to ?broaden my mind?, don?t patronise people. It?s a bank holiday weekend and local people want to be able to use this community space and not have it penned off for the exclusive use of hipsters and daytrippers who will leave the park in a mess after making a load of noise.

Louisa.

Mark Wrote:

> Louisa Wrote:

> -----

> > They should consult the local community before

> putting

> > this loud, messy event on, IMO.

>

> Lee Scoresby Wrote:

> -----

> > Some months ago residents near Peckham Rye Park

> were sent

> > forms from Southwark Council, informing them of

> an upcoming

> > commercial event in the park.

>

> And please do let us into your time machine that

> shows it's going to be messy, and be posh out of

> towners blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

> blah blah blah blah blah blah blah zzzzzzzzzzzz

>

> Anyway, I hear Horse Meat Disco are particularly

> good this time of year.

I said CONSULT, not INFORM.

A consultation may have drawn a diffrrrnt result to telling people this event is happening, like it or lump it.

We all know it?s probably aimed at a certain demographic, maybe I?m wrong though. I?ll pop by the park and have a look around this weekend to get a rough idea of the types attending.

Louisa.

Yeah, you clearly have no idea what your talking about. This festivals price is in the same range as every other festival nationally if not cheaper. All of which are attending by a great range of people. i dont recognise this exclusive club your trying to portray. Also im slightly lost on your earlier point about the festival being geared towards the newer people in the area, why are your opinion more important than theirs, they live here and pay tax , your not special because you have lived here longer.

ollieloudon Wrote:

> Yeah, you clearly have no idea what your talking

> about. This festivals price is in the same range

> as every other festival nationally. All of which

> are attending by a great range of people. i dont

> recognise this exclusive club your trying to

> portray. Also im slightly lost on your earlier

> point about the festival being geared towards the

> newer people in the area, why are your opinion

> more important than theirs, they live here and pay

> tax , your not special because you have lived here

> longer.

And what makes you think your opinion is so special? If that?s what you genuinely believe, then maybe you should take into account other residents locally who would like to have use of the park over this bank holiday weekend. We don?t all want to listen to loud inappropriate festival music in our shared spaces - IN A RESIDENTIAL AREA, may I add.

Louisa.

My Opinion isn't special but being pragmatic I can conclude not being able to use a part of a park for a few days and hearing music for about 8 hours in a year isn't a massive sacrifice for others to enjoy themselves, especially in a city like london which has long been renowned for its music scene. If the idea of such event offends you so much maybe a city like london just isnt for you?. Also, Reggae and afrobeat music is inappropriate, May I inquire why?

PS basically all music festivals are in parks in residential areas and aren't massively inconvenienced like your under the impression you will be

No Ollie, Louisa is special, please give her that.

It doesn't matter that it's a gathering of young Londoners from different races and cultures identifying in friendly environment brought together by awesome music. It's a chance for Louisa to showboat on the forum, just wait for the c word to raise its head.

ETA: I've seen Norman Jay MBE a few times, fantastic DJ, well worth seeing and hearing.

OMG! There's Jazz in Dulwich Village at Belair House in June http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?6,1938087. Take Aim!

At what point in my post did I take aim at the specific type of music? I said festival music as a general term, don?t you dare put words in my mouth ollieloudon.

Mark, if you care to read various posts above, you?ll see lots of local people aren?t impressed. Stop trying to act like everyone is excited about this. Anyone would think 18-30 is the only age group locally. I bet if there was a craft fair on the Rye you lot would be up in arms about it.

As I said, we will see how diverse the crowds are. Something tells me it will be the Shoreditch hipster crowd jumping the Overground to get totally out of it on cheap lager and then piss up against whatever is in front of them. Local kids won?t get a look in.

Louisa.