Glengarry Rd part closure - stabbing

The top end of Glengarry Road (from the ED Grove junction) is currently closed. You can still gain access to the rest of the street via Thorncombe Road.

Told by a police officer that unfortunately there's been a stabbing :(

We really need more police around there especially at this time of day .

I have 2 friends with 3 sons between them who all three boys on separate occasions have a been mugged and one by knife point at exactly that spot , over the last 18 months and that?s just three I know about !

Too many of our children are involved in mischief they either don't fathom or cannot get out of.

I wish we had more police - they are stretched so thin.

We all have a responsibility for our community so if you see something or are worried about someone do say so. Children don't always realise that the adults do actually care and they think they have to deal with everything on their own.

I know of a little girl who carried a massive knife one day because she was being bullied and no one listened to her when she told the grown ups. It could have ended so differently to the way it did, thanks to watchful and very caring teachers (although could have been avoided).

Thank the heavens that this particular incident was not a fatality, but it does not diminish the seriousness of the violence and it does not diminish our responsibility as a community to protect our young people.

Sue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Describing it as a "bloodbath" is a bit OTT, Daily

> Express.

>

> Glad the injuries are not life-threatening.

It says 'London Bloodbath'...I took it to mean a continuation of the bloodbath we have been experiencing in London...especially since we overtook New York in February for the number of stabbings.

More police will not alter the mindset- many kids think that they are surrounded by other kids that are carrying and anyway, they improvise when it comes to weapons...

uncleglen Wrote:

.I took it to mean a

> continuation of the bloodbath we have been

> experiencing in London...especially since we

> overtook New York in February for the number of

> stabbings.

We overtook New York for a very brief period in February as a statistical blip, NY for the year to the end of May was up to 113 while we had 71. In any case, New York has experienced a remarkable reduction in its murder rates which is far more pertinent than London's statistics, but it's easier for the febrile everything's going to hell brigade to ignore that. In 2003 there were 204 murders in London, even if this year continues at its current rate (which it won't as rates tend to decline in the winter) we won't even get close to that. Were you calling it a bloodbath back then? Why not? Nothing to do with wanting to rag on our current Mayor, I'm sure...

Jules-and-Boo Wrote:

> It's a moot point as whether there in an

> improvement or not, it's no comfort to the

> families of the victims. The fact is that it is

> still happening is THE point.

>

> And why are you comparing London to New York? It's

> not a bloody competition.

I'm not, uncleglen was trotting out the tired crap that the papers have been pushing with a political agenda to try and say Sadiq has ruined London and so I was pointing out that it's entirely untrue. Why are the papers and rightists like him pushing the comparison? Hysteria doesn't help anybody.

ETA THE point, or at least one worth remembering, is that no large city ever has been, nor ever will be, free of a certain amount of murder. That's not to say we shouldn't take every possible measure to minimize it, but the tabloid-driven mindset that things are worse than they've ever been is ridiculous. I recommend Stephen Pinker's "The Better Angels of our Nature" for a more rational, less hysterical viewpoint.