Forum Sponsors

Glazer Delmar
xxxx
http://www.ellyallen.com/

Daisylets Residential Property Management

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
The Bishop, The EDT, The Great Exhibition, the Actress or another?
Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
messageRe: New Flats At ED Station - Be Warned! (it has a "veneer")
Posted by siousxiesue October 22, 09:23PM

The M&S is still on schedule to open mid November

Posted by Abe_froeman October 25, 09:41AM

There is a massive chunk missing from the corner of this building now!

Posted by eastdulwich_dweller October 25, 10:41AM

Lorries/ building trucks keep hitting it I think. Wonder what the M&S delivery van is going to do to that corner on a regular basis?

Posted by KidKruger October 25, 12:00PM

That flat should be reduced in price to account for repeated repairs that will be necessary (though it’ll be worked into service charges), if not the fact that purchaser will not be getting 100% of what they paid for - a chunk will be laying on the pavement !

Posted by Penguin68 October 25, 12:16PM

That sort of damage would be covered by insurance - once the build is complete and the building insure-abe. If it was M&S delivery lorries then responsible for damage they would need to reimburse the ground landlord (as I guess such fabric damage would be his responsibility to correct).

The use of facings/ cladding by the way (the 'veneer') is very common and quite acceptable in building - the fine 'Portland stone' built houses in Belgravia and Mayfair are actually stone clad (thin stone outer surface).

Posted by cella October 25, 01:45PM

Yes but, as posted previously, it's less about the insurance and more about the safety of pedestrians and the future safety working conditions of the library and M&S staff. Also what the local councillors are doing about it if anything?

Posted by SoozieW October 25, 04:56PM

Sorry, justread the title. What's the big deal with a veneer?

Posted by cella October 25, 05:49PM

Read the thread first maybe?

Posted by alex_b October 27, 05:21PM

What I noticed today is that the corner that keeps getting knocked is a couple of foot back from the edge of the footpath. Clearly lorries are (illegally) cutting the footpath to make the turn; I'd have thought a couple of bollards should resolve the matter. Perhaps a camera to allow drivers to be prosecuted too?

Posted by cella October 27, 07:31PM

This is where the M&S deliveries will be so bollards not possible. More concerned about staff working in the building.

Posted by alex_b October 27, 10:03PM

cella Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is where the M&S deliveries will be so
> bollards not possible. More concerned about staff
> working in the building.

Why wouldn’t bollards on the edge of the pavement to protect that corner be possible. Surely it hasn’t been designed such that vehicles need to illegally cut the corner to navigate that turn?

Posted by cella October 27, 11:20PM

Presumably already too narrow/not fit for purpose which is why it keeps happening!

Posted by EDPineapple October 28, 12:31AM

I'm sure they'll put a bollard on that corner, seems to be enough space for one.

Posted by Amanda1979 October 28, 07:09AM

Given the bottle neck they've created on the pavement they surely have to put some safety measures (railings next to parking bay for example) in place.

Posted by chazzle October 28, 11:36PM

For the latest impact (the fifth) the lorry turned in at speed and drive about one metre onto the pavement. Just bad driving. A bollard should help.

Posted by petercain0110 November 03, 03:15PM

Times move on .. Maybe the Victorians lamented the passing of straw huts .. Maybe the Victorians would envy the new builds .. I live in a 1902 building .. I like it .. Never-the-less, a new build is undoubtedly better ..

Posted by cella November 03, 04:48PM

petercain0110 Wrote:
> Times move on .. Maybe the Victorians lamented the
> passing of straw huts .. Maybe the Victorians
> would envy the new builds .. I live in a 1902
> building .. I like it .. Never-the-less, a new
> build is undoubtedly better ..

Unless it's this one!

Posted by cella November 03, 04:50PM

chazzle Wrote:
> For the latest impact (the fifth) the lorry turned
> in at speed and drive about one metre onto the
> pavement. Just bad driving. A bollard should help.

Bad driving! No consolation if you're a member of library staff, a shopper or a pedestrian at that moment!

Posted by solar November 27, 02:53PM

It's been hit again!

Posted by Charles Notice November 27, 03:00PM

How long before the tyre business is shut down due to health and safety when the library is fully operating.

Posted by Amanda1979 November 27, 03:51PM

solar Wrote:
> It's been hit again!

.... or not been fixed since the last time?

Posted by chazzle November 27, 04:56PM

Still the same damage from before - they appeared to be fixing it this morning.

How could you shut Melbourne Tyres on H&S grounds, when it's been trading there safely for 30 years?

Posted by Pugwash November 27, 05:07PM

Melbourne Tyres - have used several times over the years - very helpful and allow you to park on their small forecourt so that you are not on the yellow lines

Posted by Charles Notice November 27, 05:11PM

Children going to the library, cars parked up on his work area, vehicles cutting the corner, single lane traffic up to the builders yard. More pedestrian safe space needed as people cannot look.

Before this development there was plenty of room for all.

I hope they do not find reasons to close it.

Posted by MatthewGBCN November 30, 03:56AM

I tend to agree on your statement quote 'They look quite smart, but don't be fooled!' ....

Modern , a snazzy/trendy way of saying cheap and quick to grab-in the idiotic/foolish young yuppies .

It seems we are 'assimilating' Turkish building designs and standards ....

... new home buyers are doomed !

I agree with some other folk on here saying that proper bricks , really do make our houses homely and inject a certain interesting character :-)

Posted by alex_b November 30, 12:56PM

Why would real bricks be better here? They'd be more expensive to repair and will be less thermally efficient than modern construction methods.

My principal complaints about those flats are:
1. No effort to colour match the brick tiles to the attached station building
2. Building a balcony without accompanying protection on the pavement to stop trucks cutting the corner

Posted by MatthewGBCN November 30, 01:25PM

Alex_b ,

I will keep this short , but I do want to reply before I got to work and forget :-)

BOTH your points are SPOT ON and accurate , but as for the REAL BRICK houses being 'inefficient' well , honestly that is a 'half truth' in my opinion .

Yes , I will agree that modern building designs are 'better' [ noticeable - but not by much - just MY opinion] in keeping noise down (sound-proofing) , insulation (energy efficiency) ....

.... However , I used to live in these old houses , ( and I love it ! ) I know they get damp , mouldy and filled with wood lice etc , but if your tech-savvy and with a good combination of knowing YOUR HISTORY , you can avoid massive heating bills , expensive building repairs and aggravation from your neighbours over noise (except dinner parties !) .

All I can say is , please dont ruin (disapprove) good old stuff for us , there are adults - like myself , kids grown up from the 90's that actually remember what it was like in ED in the old houses , before they 'absorbed' by the rich and affluent . :-)

Anyway that is enough for me on this topic , and I am the kind of guy that could go on for many days , but I am out !

P.S. Southwark Council have lost the plot , and it seems to me they dramatically have lost their 'foresight' intelligence when approving/disapproving building applications ....
...Are they taking bribes ? You never know - maybe .

Posted by alex_b November 30, 03:24PM

Just to clarify I'm not against old houses, I grew up in a Victorian house and live in a Victorian house now. Of course they can be improved and you can make them much more thermally efficient.

What I was saying is that if you are building new buildings now, using "real brick" in place of more modern construction methods isn't sensible either from an environmental or cost point of view.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum