Noisy children playing outside at 6am!

Over the last few weekends I've been woken up between 6am and 7am by children playing in the garden of a mystery neighbour! Living in a flat surrounded by high trees I can't for the life of me work out which house it is (I live Peckham Rye end of Barry Road), but my weekend lie-ins are being affected! I am all for kids playing outside, but at 6am really!

Quite right Sue it is very early to be playing in the garden. Of course it?s not the children?s thought. Parents need to think about what they are allowing them to do. These days people work long hours and it?s not much to ask for a lie in the weekends.

Very inconsiderate..

What about small children being woken up by Adults coming back from the Pub P***ed up singing and shouting?

And people complaining about children waking THEM up when they are trying to sleep off their hang-overs.

FFS.

Get over yourselves. I thought people in ED would already be wide awake by 06.00am after the supposed dozens of planes

that flew over after 04.30am

Fox

I was in Southwold at the weekend and the seagulls seem not to sleep at all. They make noise all night. I don't have anyone to blame. Think of me.

Yes, 6 am seems a little early to be in the garden, and perhaps the parents are asleep at the front of the house thinking their little darlings aren't bothering anyone.

Perhaps if it happened regularly your brain would block it out - like aeroplanes.

Rooster Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> This Forum has become the OAP complaints forum!

Rooster - just because you are up at the crack of dawn, doesn't mean everyone else wants to be

Cock a doodle doooo

One of the main challenges with the recent hot spell is that perfectly friendly and sociable people/neighbours seem to behave differently when in the confines of their own gardens. So bbqs with loud music, shouty people getting progressively intoxicated, glasses smashing, children screaming etc etc. I totally get that as we see so little sun normally people are grabbing every opportunity to be outside entertaining friends as we do ourselves but it's as if they are in a bubble and forget to consider their neighbours. I did suggest to next door that after a gathering that started at 11am and was still going (loudly) at 1 in the morning that they turn the music down a tad as it was reverberating against our bedroom wall - they did but there's a bit of an atmosphere.

My son is loud. I don?t let him in the garden until 9am, 10am on Sundays. Yes our neighbours wake him up with their noises regularly. But it?s not tit for tat. We behave like good citizens. If our neighbours don?t thats on them, but we are happy with the lesson our child is getting about community regardless.

Cella, I'm wondering if you live near me as that sounds very familiar! With one set of neighbours it's as though they think their garden fence is the edge of the world rather than a thin line between them and several other gardens, in this case.

I also think middle class London parents don't believe their kids can be having a good time unless they're shrieking.

Agree. It's absolutely not OK for children to be outside shrieking at 6am on a weekend. My nextdoor neighbour had 3 boys and a girl who all played loud shouty games in the garden every single saturday and sunday early morning. If the parents want to lie in in peace, what gives them the right, and not the childless neighbours who have to listen to it?

Totally get my sympathy.

How rude to generalise. I assume lower class and upper class parents would never dream of such behaviour.

Robert Poste's Child Wrote:

> Cella, I'm wondering if you live near me as that

> sounds very familiar! With one set of neighbours

> it's as though they think their garden fence is

> the edge of the world rather than a thin line

> between them and several other gardens, in this

> case.

>

> I also think middle class London parents don't

> believe their kids can be having a good time

> unless they're shrieking.

yeknomyeknom Wrote:

> we are

> happy with the lesson our child is getting about

> community regardless.

Yes, my partner and I were saying this recently.

If children think it's OK to scream and shout outside on a regular basis (apart from in a park or playground) then they will grow up to be the kind of parents who let their own children do the same.

Ghlpc Wrote:

> If children can't play out and make noise in the

> mornings from 6am while adults are sleeping, then

> Adults can't have garden parties and make noise

> after 8pm when children are in bed. Fair?

Many children don't seem to go to bed after 8pm.

There are several shrieking from a garden several houses down and across (ie not in my road) as I type this - at twenty to nine on a Monday night.

yeknomyeknom Wrote:

> How rude to generalise. I assume lower class and

> upper class parents would never dream of such

> behaviour.

My point, admittedly tongue-in-cheek, was about how parents seem to think about it, not how children behave. Every day I see parents who don't or can't tell their kids not to do something and just give a sort of helpless commentary over the child's head.

I find myself sympathetic towards both sides - I can feel your pain being waken up at such an hour. On the other hand, I cannot fully support advocating against children playing, that just seems cruel in a way.

You say you don't know which house it is exacly -I'd suggest reaching out to your closest neighbours, see if they feel the same, and if they know whose children they might be. Acting as a civil community will surely at least get you talking with the parents

www.postcode-checker.co.uk

No-one is saying children can't play, but the noise level of the playtime at that hour. Far better for them to be outside than on their playstations or in front of TV, but if they're old to enough to play outside unsuperrvised, then they're old enough to understand about being reasonably quiet and respecting others' quiet time. Agree a friendly word may do the trick.