Cycle path across Peckham Rye

AllforNun

They are apparently having a meeting to decide if they should or should not put a cycle path across Peckham Rye, you know the ancient land with grazing rights that you are not suppose to touch. (2nd or something of Dec)

Maybe the same people who 'fabricated; anti social behaviour in order to get the council to build a nice new flower bed for 2O grand, over the old swimming pool as it was spoiling the view from their windows. Could have put new play equipment somewhere in the park but they probably were to old to use it.

ooh and admin before you move this, Peckham Rye Park is heavily used by people in East Dulwich, thanks x

Ach, you know, I'm not looking for a fight, old bean. Just interested in this "residents overlooking the swimming pool fabricated anti-social behaviour" theory. There's a block of flats by the bus stop, just down from Kings on the Rye - are these the people who agitated for the landscaping of the old Lido?

Only the council minutes on the matter show residents asking for sports facilities for kids on the site. I can post them if you like.

FWIW: I'd rather see improvements made to the existing paths crossing the Rye, than what will essentially be a 3m wide road going the full length of Peckham Rye East. It will be a commuter benefit only and what should be regarded as a highways issue, not parks and not in keeping with the principal of Metropolitan Open Land. (Thinking outloud: Try getting planning permission to pave over your front garden for a drive nowadays.)

TM & AFN I think you're at different locations.

The old Paddling Pool site on Peckham Rye East overlooked by Aura Court is currently being returned to the common in the form of a wildflower meadow.

Not sure what the 'fabricated' antisocial behaviour is. Could it have been the late night drinking and shouting that used to take place there regularly?

Residents overlooking the old Lido site had asked for a kickabout area on that site.

I shall be away that day (day in Paris, remember? You've all suggested where I take MrRose for lunch - do keep up), but I shall look to this very thread for informed opinion and factual updates. None of yer rascally supposition and biased opinions, mind!

I am with BoosBoss - a cycle lane in the park is wrong, morally. And if people say that we need it to protect school kids from bad drivers, well that lets the bad drivers off the hook once more! Kids can cycle through and down the park and on the pavement if they're taught to be polite and cycle safely and slowly. Yeah, that should do it.

No was thinking of the right location. I would rather see a cycle path and a brand new zebra crossing than an upgrade of existing pathways. Most of the pathways and improvements, new signage have strangely occured on the ED side of the park, odd that. I think the fact that there are now worn mud tracks running the length of the lower rye shows you that people are voting with there feet. Once the east london line hits The top of Nunhead Via Honor Oak , trafiic may increase even more, a cycle path, limited in size and well laid could run across the park as shown, however there is 1 Big Problem.

Conker Trees right above the proposed path, ...... rain drops keep falling on my head !

Cant believe they have resuurected this plan. They sent out consultaion on it to all local residents- my assumption was the plan had very little support and was then dropped.

As a cyclist I agree that the road along the park is dangerous but the path seems bizarre as it just takes you back onto dangerous roads so seems a little pointless and conkers are a real problem.

Given how few people walk on the path except near the bus stops, I would have thought a cheaper option is to have a combined leisure path (ie cyclists and joggers)using the existing path. If they are insistent on throwing money at the park why not convert the muddy trail cutting diagonally accross the park into a proper path. This is very much used by cyclists and pedestrians to the extent the muddy track is just as visible on google earth pictures the park as the concrete ones.

As for the paddling pool debacle. When the developer of Aura court was applying for planning permission one of the "sweetners" offered to the council and to appease local residents was funds to reinstate the paddling pool. There had been general concern at the lack of leisure space in the new development which was over ridden by having a play area and paddling pool opposite. Funnily enough after it was built, it was then decided the pipework was so poor it was not possible to repair. I would love to know what happened to the developers money ! Sadly not sure i can make the meeting

Thanks bossboss i was rather suspecting the money had just been eaten up by the cost of repeated consultation exercises ! Still it is a shame that the whole ethos behind the money was to improve facilities on the side of the Rye that was most affected by the carbuncle that is aura court and 5 years later we finally get some seeds sown !!not exactly the increase in leisure facilities that was promised. Whilst I am pleased that footballers have somewhere to change Cant help feeling a bit churlish but..... cant help thinking could they not just have used the money to do something more exciting with the paddling pool area and maybe footballers could have worn their football kit under tracksuits.. hey voila almost instant ability to change into their kit ! Sorry maybe not being into football makes me a kill joy about the whole experience

oooh it actually gets worse than that. They used the money to build the cafe and changing facilities ....is that not right. Then somehow some got a plan put forward on the basis of 'anti social' invisible things occuring late at night, and a big old consultation for a splash area, which then then got wrapped up with the falling down 1'oclock club, which then all got to expensive , which then meant they went off to find some more money, in the meantime the paddling area got turned into a nice little ..er...grass area, with maybe a wild flower...so someone gets a nice view and increases their property price, meanwhile the 1'o clock club is still in a tin hut that floods and the childrens play area is poor at best .....and now there is economic downturn what do we think of the splash pool/childrens club....new zebra crossing chances....

but hey it's not all about the kids now is it.

As mentioned elsewhere I have said no to this plan - even with the pretty pictures of sunny cyclists cycling down a flower lined path - because it will send a message to the bad car drivers bombing down Peckham Rye that it is safe to continue driving badly now the council have taken out one of the dangers. If the cyclists get their own path maybe we motorcyclists and bus drivers shall get together and demand a bus lane we can share! Knock down one pavement and tell all the pedestrians to only walk down one side. That should do it...

The park is a park and should only be a park. If there are bad drivers then deal with bad drivers and don't punish the majority of good car drivers.

AllforNun Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> They used the money to build the cafe and changing

> facilities ....is that not right.

Not quite, the money was used to add changing facilities to the already funded cafe building, not to build the cafe itself. It also paid for the temporary (5 year)changing rooms behind the cafe.

Which of course has nothing to do with the proposed cycle path. :)

The desire line/mud path running along PR East has nothing to do with cyclists or pedestrians, it's been created by joggers preferring to run on grass than pavement, so wouldn't be addressed by paving anyway.

AllforNun Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> mmm boosboss in your Peckham Rye Watchtower i

> think you will find it is (the path) caused by

> pedestrians heading up to Nunhead brockley from

> the 68 bus. ....

>

> come on keep up or don't you exercise ?

Sorry, 68 bus? You mean the Euston - West Norwood via Camberwell and Herne Hill route? Nope, guess you're right. I have no idea why a path across/along Peckham Rye would be made by anyone attempting to get from the 68 bus to Brockley/Nunhead.

I was referring to the desire line that runs parallel to the footpath along Peckham Rye East. The other desire line that runs from The Aura building to the Kings on the Rye corner of the common wouldn't be affected one way or the other by the proposed cycle path, so isn't relevent in this thread.

I prefer to run on pavements than grass, but then again that is covered in another thread, which you'll find in the What's On in East Dulwich section of this site if you're concerned with my exercise regime.

edited for incorrect use of the word your ;)

Not concerned anymore, but obviously no one would run diagonally across the park, so obviously it's people cutting the park diagonally to get from A-B a little quicker. You'll notice if you put down your map and compass and just look. You will see human beings of differing sexes and sizes walking diagonally across the park following a now well worn mud track.

Personally i think the entire road running up the Nunhead side could be re-visited, re-laid, new cycle track maybe even, speed tables and new zebra crossings. Apparently there is funding from TFL for this stuff, i know thats where some of the money has come from for the major upgrading of the road on the ED side of the park.

What am I? Some sort of orienteering jehovah's witness? Watchtower, map, compass!

The diagonal desire line across the common, the one created by various pedestrians, cyclists and runners isn't being considered for paving for use as a footpath or as a cycle path and again is not relevant to this thread.

The proposed cycle path, is to run the length of the common parallel to Peckham Rye East, where the existing desire line has been created by runners! Runners preferring to run on grass than pavement, so construction of a new path wouldn't change the runners wish to run on grass and another desire line alongside would be created by them.

The proposed cycle path would have TFL funding and is a highways issue. I agree entirely that revisiting the road and making changes there would be the way forward.