New Peckham Rye Play Area

What does everyone think? We like it.

The water feature will be seriously impressive when everything is working. The large slides are pretty extreme although soft flooring seemed to spare most injuries! They do fly out though so smaller kids need to get out of the way.

It is quite full on though and I wish some of the older kids had better supervision with so many younger one mixing in. Tonight a couple of young lads were actually riding skateboards down the slides. Hopefully this will settle down...

It's certainly a quality installation but in my view the main attraction is way too high up with way too few access routes creating bottlenecks. Unless you're well over 6ft tall it's very difficult to get to your child if they need assistance. I'm unsure which age range this is targeted at but my five year old (who's very comfortable at all other local playgrounds) found it very scary!

I think its great that there is a facility which caters for the older children too - my 11 year old and her friends go to play spaces unsupervised and its great that there is a space which caters for all ages (I have a 6 year old too). My daughter, hopefully, is conscious of those around her (we talk about respect and consideration a lot) but I'm also sure there are times when that doesn't automatically kick in and I have no qualms with another adult 'checking' (appropriately) her behaviour, I would have suggested to the skateboarders that they use the skate park instead of the slides....

kristymac1 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I would have suggested to the

> skateboarders that they use the skate park instead

> of the slides....

Yep, and perhaps parents can stop letting their kids use the miniramp in the skatepark as a slide too.

Hi all, I was at the new playground yesterday afternoon, it was absolutely heaving with children up to about the age of 13! It was clear it is a hit with our younger residents. There are a couple of gate issues to be sorted and the planting to be done. The water pump was being put into good use too.

I think. I agree re the skate park for skateboarding! We did notice the issue with smaller children and access to the big slide, Worldwiser. It is being looked into and some hand grips for the younger children may be the solution.

Renata

We went for a look on Sunday:

The park has some issues for younger children (under 5s) and is unfinished in large areas.

The big slides shoot kids out really fast - and there are some deep drops to the sides of stairs and steps.

I just about caught my 4 year old as she shot out of one of the tube slides. Had I not she would have grazed off some skin on the flooring.

The bit with the spider's web isn't suitable for children under about 1.5m in height - and there were lots of tears from kids who couldn't reach to the final rope section to make it onto the raised walkway.

Also the spider's web doesn't appear to connect properly with the other rope section so kids can't climb from one to the other.

The water flow was quite weak in the wet area and one of the water "shooters" didn't work. The one that did was great fun though.

The trampoline bit is good and there were some older kids doing some impressive backflips on it.

Overall much better than what's been there in the past. I'm guessing it was way behind schedule and that combined with very dry hot weather has made the landscaping impossible to finish.

Am glad they opened it 70% finished though rather than wait until it was complete.

However you do need to keep an eye on younger kids or they may hurt themselves.

I had a great time with my 18 month old at the weekend. I was concerned to find a few construction screws in the sand though. What?s the plan in terms of maintaining the park? Finding the screws did make me wonder how long it would be until there was broken glass and then trips to a&e to have it removed....

It?s a great addition to the area, however not overly toddler friendly, especially if you are one adult trying to keep twins under control....

Does anyone know if the plan is go keep the ?old? playground within the park open? I hope so...

Overall its great. We went on Saturday so it was extremely busy obviously. On a more normal weekend I suspect it would be more fun than it was on Saturday

Agree with the comments re the climbing apparatus for the big slides - they're pretty inaccessible until you get to about 120 cm - not sure if the circular climbing net up is easier, but feels like it needs an alternative way up to the bridge as my (tall) 5 year old struggled to reach up and there were lots of kids in the same position. Some kind of fixed platform before they get onto the rope bridge would have been good.

Other than that its nice, will be lovely once planted - kids need to get used to the fact that one of the circular swings goes in loops rather than fwd and back like goose green - had to 'encourage' waiting kids away from the swing when pushing my two.

A grest addition to the park and I'm sure the newly extended cafe will be rubbing their hands with glee (Shame the council gave it to a chain ..anyway let's hope they up their game). We have an 18 month old and after initial concerns about all those nasty slippery hard boulders had to check ourselves and think that's why parents need to supervise their kids do think fence should of been higher. Suspect high jinks and anti social behaviour going on after dark . But well done

Went today with my two kids who absolutely loved it and had to be torn away after many hours of play. I thought it was fantastically designed and a brilliant addition to the park. I personally think the climb up to the slides is refreshingly risky - much more fun than a ladder.

Southwark seem to be doing an amazing job maintaining provision for local children in this age of austerity and I'm grateful to whoever managed to push the new playground through. Great job!

It doesn't serve all ages and that is hugely disappointing. It's really poor for the under 5s and even our 5 year old needed help and very close supervision as others have already said, things with too big a gap unless they are taller, very fast slides etc.

Our 2.5 year old just gets frustrated. The pumps and diggers are too stiff / hard for her to use by herself, she is desperate to go on the slides and climb but is far too small. I can't take both our children there together if i am on my own which is ridiculous.

Given there are already adventure playgrounds at PR (age 7 plus) & Denmark Hill (age 5 plus) and the large playground on the corner of Adys Rd that all serve the older age group well it's really frustrating that this is so toddler unfriendly.

At Brockwell the older and younger ones can play really happily together in the sand and water area, but it's such a trek on the awful number 37 service to get there.

Pleased we have a new facility but such a shame it wasn't designed to be inclusive. A real missed opportunity for Peckham Rye here I think.

Tractorlad Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I went there with our 3 yr old on Saturday and was

> very impressed. He had a great time in the sand

> and on the swings. When the cafe re-opens it will

> be a fantastic facility.

It's open! It looks great inside and they have an external service counter facing the playground that stays open longer I think.

So happy to know that I'm not the only one who isn't exactly overjoyed with the new playground either, ech!

Don't get me wrong; I'm thrilled that there are new facilities and that children seem to be using and enjoying them. But I'm yet to actually enjoy taking my kids there (they are just over 3 and just turned 2 respectively), and to be honest I'm yet to get a sense that they have enjoyed it either.

There seems to have been very little thought given to separating spaces for toddlers and older children. Every single time my kids have ventured on to the trampoline, without fail a group of 3 or 4 older kids (age 8/9/10 years+) has turned up and just bounced along like they are not there, which has scared them. They get off the trampoline to wander to the sandpit and there's swarms of older kids on scooters using the hill near the swings as a ramp, swerving around them and making them nervous. They've ended up soaking from the water pools as older children have just gone through, kicking water at their friends or worse, throwing wet sand. And don't even get me started on the totally ill-conceived water squirter, which as far as I can tell does a pretty good job of getting anyone within a 10 metre radius wet (whether they want to or not).

However, I think the biggest problem by far is the complete lack of shade. Yes, I appreciate that the current heatwave is unusual, but it isn't unheard of. Half an hour in that park and I'm left looking (and feeling) like a dog that's been left in a hot car. The scrap of shade provided by the climbing frame in the sandpit appears to be the hottest piece of property in SE22, given how many parents seem to cram into it. Would it be possible to remedially fix this?

Hoping that the closing of the other play area is only temporary. Managed 5 mins in the new one with my two year old on Thursday before she burst into tears and we headed to the old playground. It was age-appropriate, lovely and shaded and best of all, empty! I mean, I'm entirely aware that maybe my children are wusses but they don't seem to react the same way at Goose Green, Greenwich Park or Brockwell playgrounds.

Sorry to be a moaner. Appreciate that were my children at the higher end of the age chart I would probably think it was the best thing ever but I can only give you the opinion I have. Parents, please just remind your kids to be mindful of little ones, and remember that they are unpredictable in their movements and need a bit of a wide-berth to keep them (and other kids) safe. Having waited SO LONG for the playground to open I really want to be able to enjoy it - especially now the cafe/goldmine has just reopened!

I agree, the new playground isn?t the best thought out when it comes to toddlers.

Wha I would say is that we should remember it?s smer holidays now when - in this weather especially - parents are going to have those older children out of the house as often as possible! During term time toddlers will have more free reign over the place, which I acknowledge isn?t much help right now.

My 8 year old loves it, but the 4 year old doesn?t get much out of it, which is annoying.

Agree fully about the lack of shade.