Best route to Ride London

My dad is doing ride London next Sunday, staying at ours beforehand.

The website points to TFL, but I wondered if anyone here had a suggestion/recommendation for a way to get there (and back!)

My dad wasn't keen on my suggestion of a gentle warm up ride...

A lot depends on when his start is - and whether transport is running at that point.

I rode it when I did it although being near the Horniman, it was mostly a downhill glide! Going through the Blackwall Tunnel was an experience! There are so many roads closed that there's a limit to how close a cab or you might get with a bike - quite a few were dropped off in Greenwich IIRC.

On the way home, if he doesn't feel like riding it (don't under estimate the power of picking up the medal and a break at the Mall) then I'd suggest a gentle trundle to Victoria and hop on a train to Peckham Rye (so he doesn't have to go up and over Dogkennel Hill)

Good luck to him - it's a brilliant day out. You spend the first 20 minutes automatically changing gear and braking for lights and then once you've finished, mentally reminding yourself that you need to stop at them!

Sign on for the Ride London is very early early in the morning, I doubt that 7.39 train will be early enough, but the Night Tube from New Cross Gate to Dalston Junction will save him a few miles.

According to the web site they're opening the Rotherhithe Tunnel to bikes from 4am - assuming it will be temporarily closed to traffic, the air in there will be slightly less poisonous than usual - and there's supposed to be a signposted route from the north side of the tunnel. I'm a bit further west so will probably just do Tower Bridge and A11, the main roads are pretty quiet at 5am on a Sunday,

wulfhound Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sign on for the Ride London is very early early in

> the morning

In previous years you had to register and collect your numbers in the three days preceding, then just turn up for your wave on the day, with the last wave being 9.15 - is that not how they do it now?

There's Wave Load and Wave Start, and they're not the same; Wave Load ends 45 minutes before the actual start. And you'd want to get there maybe 15-20 before the load-in for last-minute snacks, mechanical checks and loo etc.. so subtract an hour from start time and most will be leaving the house pretty early.