New Bentley gathering dust on Zenoria St

Hi all,

A brand new Bentley has been sitting near our doorstep for a few weeks (we suspect around 3 now) looks like it just rolled out the showroom and plonked itself on the road. It hasn't moved at all, and no sign of an owner. It has a personalised number plate too which looks pretty pricey.

Suspicious? Spooky?

I reported a very smart car left for 2 weeks outside my house and the police were very interested after they checked reg. details, as apparently it had been involved in a crime. They didn't give me any details obviously but did say they would be keeping a "hidden" watch on it in case the "owners" came back for it.

we seem to have this constantly on Whateley Road, a few cars have sat in various spots outside our house for lengths of up to 3 months at a time (i did all the tax checks without paying money to get owner details). Two of them had been towed by private lorries- not sure if a local garage is using the street as an extended showroom. The road also seems to be the spot cars come to run out of tax and get clamped.

Captain Kernow Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> we seem to have this constantly on Whateley Road,

> a few cars have sat in various spots outside our

> house for lengths of up to 3 months at a time (i

> did all the tax checks without paying money to get

> owner details). Two of them had been towed by

> private lorries- not sure if a local garage is

> using the street as an extended showroom. The road

> also seems to be the spot cars come to run out of

> tax and get clamped.

I know at one point that shabby so called garage behind bells used the side roads to park their cars...

They sold off the whateley rd entrance which is now a residential property, I think they use bawdale rd now

We had similar when we lived on a back street in West Norwood.

We called 101 about it because at one point there were 3 or 4 ?100k + cars.

A few months later the police visited us for statements, the gist was that someone on trial had left cars, i.e. the proceeds of crime, in obscure places so they wouldn't be confiscated.

Hi everyone, thank you for all your responses, we're one step closer to cracking the case with further intel -

As Captain Kernow advised, we had a look into the tax details through the DVLA website and the vehicle is both taxed and insured. Whether that gives anything away in terms of criminal activity, an owner just going on holiday or local garages using it (although, I'm not sure where the nearest garage is that would supply Bentleys - anyone any wiser?), we're unsure. Might be worth waiting another week before contacting police because it is suspiciously snazzy (less so with bird droppings now though)

The saga continues...

slims Wrote:

> It belongs to a man who drives it now and then,

> nothing to worry about.

If this is true then I can't really see what all the fuss is about!

ruffers Wrote:

> A car is parked on the street.

>

> Is that it? Have I missed anything?

No. Just a load of assumptions based on nothing except a posh car parked where no posh car should be (according to some) :))

it's a car - driven around frequently (it does stand out as it's a thing of beauty) and I've often admired it.

Rather than worrying ourselves silly in case it's proceeds of crime and the owner is banged up, I am (if anything) more concerned if everything is ok with them.

#Curtain-twitchy-over-nosey-how-dare-they-have-a-nice-car-it-must-illegal#

slims Wrote:

> Double check, Bentley jeep you?re talking about?

Hi slims,

No, it's a Bentley GT V8S convertible.

We've found it unusual as some of us have lived in our property for over a year and haven't seen it before now. I wouldn't say we're worried at all about the car's origins, just curious and odd how it hasn't moved in a month!

It is a sign of good rather than nosy neighbours that takes note of things which are out of place or appear 'wrong'. A vehicle which is out of place, milk not collected at the door stop, someone not coming in for their paper... all are straws in the wind, maybe, but still straws. Most people do not leave very expensive vehicles parked up in side streets for long periods unmoved (in ED - I'm not talking Mayfair here). It is worth checking.

Aside from whether it's suspicious or not - I'm staggered that someone can leave their car that's worth such money is just parked up, depreciating by the hour. It really makes no economic sense.

Mind you, the way some drive around here, I wouldn't dare take it out down LL.