Parent & baby spaces at Sainsburys ED

Today I was fortunate enough to grab one of these extremely helpful spaces just as the previous customer vacated it, accompanied by no-one. As I bundled the little one into a trolley I was struck by the next car to arrive which had no children on board either. Nor did the 3 other cars that I saw arrive or leave one of the spaces.

Could I make a plea that should really be self evident: these spaces make a huge difference to parents and not just because they're close to the entrance but because they offer substantially more space for manoeuvring buggies and children about.

Using these spaces if you're not with any children is just plain mean. Please don't.

I was there this afternoon and I encountered the same issue. On either side of me were two young women. One had a car seat but no child and another had no car seat. They both bought small items. One swiftly drove off while the other sat in her car and proceeded to talk on the phone while enjoying the comfort of her air con. Both were young and very mobile. There were other parents I noticed who had to park further. It is incredibly obnoxious of these people and they have no respect for the parking signs or others. The car park was not full and there were other spaces around the parent & child spaces!

these spaces should be on the far side of the car park as far as I'm concerned. When you are breeding you are at your most fit. Those of us in our 50s and 60s have NO sympathy because we had to get on a bus after having to fold up the push chair with a baby under one arm and shopping as well

unglen thankyou for your enlightened contribution. I rather hope society has moved on somewhat since then. I don't particularly mind where the spaces are, just asking that people without children don't use them. At the Sydenham branch they actively police the spaces and fine people for misuse. I hope Dulwich doesn't have to go down that road.

uncleglen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> these spaces should be on the far side of the car

> park as far as I'm concerned. When you are

> breeding you are at your most fit. Those of us in

> our 50s and 60s have NO sympathy because we had to

> get on a bus after having to fold up the push

> chair with a baby under one arm and shopping as

> well

You absolutely speak for yourself Uncleglen, and not for me. Im in the category you describe, and have the utmost sympathy with parents of young children using those spaces. I well recall the difficulties of manoeuvring a full trolley of shopping, a baby and a few toddlers into the car in a busy car park. In normal spaces this can be quite a hairy process as either the baby in the trolley, or the toddlers are inevitably left the road behind the car whilst you try to get them all in as speedily as possible. The bus thing is not relevant at all - do you imagine parents of young children now don't go on buses? How embarrassing to have you suggest that I might share your closed-minded 'it was worse in our day' attitude based on my age. Nothing like. I never, never park in P&C spaces because i don't need the extra space now, parents with babies and toddlers do - to keep them safe.

uncleglen Wrote:

> well

What a load of bollocks.

Speak for yourself.

I'm in my late sixties and did the folding up the baby buggy thing with shopping etc. I am delighted that these days people with cars and children have spaces allocated to them so that they can do their shopping without having to be stressed and worried about their children's safety.

It is incredibly selfish for people who don't need them to park in spaces allocated for those with children and those with disabilities.

I actually think there should be CCTV and fines, though I doubt it will happen because of the cost.

uncleglen Wrote:

> well

What a truly unpleasant individual you are. What you're essentially saying is that because your generation had things, in your opinion, harder, you don't want it to be easier for any succeeding generations - just out of pure spite, it seems.

Please don't claim to speak for all fifty- and sixty-somethings; I turn fifty myself in a few months, and I'm sure as hell not going to adopt the deeply unpleasant worldview you espouse.

With 1-year-old twins (who aren't walking yet) these spaces make a huge difference to me being able to get them in and out of the car safely, without having to leave one in the trolley in the way of cars driving around.

It's not just about the distance and being "fit", you need to open doors wider to get children out of car seats and reduce the risk of them running in front of moving cars by being closer to the storefront.

I think that there clearly is a need for dedicated parking spaces for those who need a proper clearance on either side of the car to safely load and unload children and babies; and where these can safely stay whilst that is going on. I am not so clear that these spaces, for children and parents, need to be at the closest points to the shop entrance. Indeed, were they to be placed in the section at the end of the furthest lane in the 'front' set of blocks (i.e. the blocks closest to the shop - so that there was no 'road' to cross between car parking blocks) this would make them far less likely to be taken up by hogs.

That would allow spaces for disabled customers to remain close to the entrance. These (where disabled badges should be being displayed) should be much easier to police and mis-users firmly penalised.

These parent and baby spaces are near to the entrance for a reason. To try and steer a shopping to the far end of the car park, whilst keeping an eye on your toddlers must be a nightmare. I have seen drivers reverse out of their parking spaces at speed and without a second thought for pedestrians walking behind them. How is a parent expected to manoeuvre a trolley, hold onto their children for dear life and have eyes at the back of their heads trying to anticipate which driver is going to suddenly reverse without first checking if it?s safe to do so.

Another person with 1 year old twins who regularly uses Sainsbury?s car park. The spaces also happen to be near the trolleys which are suitable for kids.

I now make a point of questioning people who park there with no kids and one woman said to me she was with her ?child?. The person with her was at least 18! Anyway if you tell the shop staff they will read out the number plate in store and tell the person to move their car. I?m sure once someone is called out one time they won?t do it again.

Dunno. I've seen people park there to drop their partner off then sit there smoking or whatever waiting for said partner to come out, often with the engine running. My guess is selfish people won't give a damn what other people think because they believe they come first. Ditto the kind who leave their car in the picking up area by the cash machines.

I've been frustrated many times by others using these spaces without children. So much so i have tackled Sainsbury's about it. They don't own the car park and so aren't responsible for policing use of the spaces (which is why people continue to abuse both the disabled and parent and child spots)

Those selfish enough to do this in the first place don't respond to being called out on the tannoy either. The staff who work on the customer services say it's the most common complaint at this store and really frustrating for them.

ech Wrote:

> I've been frustrated many times by others using

> these spaces without children. So much so i have

> tackled Sainsbury's about it. They don't own the

> car park and so aren't responsible for policing

> use of the spaces (which is why people continue to

> abuse both the disabled and parent and child

> spots)

>

> Those selfish enough to do this in the first place

> don't respond to being called out on the tannoy

> either. The staff who work on the customer

> services say it's the most common complaint at

> this store and really frustrating for them.

Sainsbury's do have a say (or a back channel to someone who does) over the car park - I can vouch for that.

Horizon manages the car park.

I can't believe people are suggesting these spaces should be moved further away from the entrance. Why? So that you can be nearer the entrance? Because your need is greater?

If it's so easy to walk across a car park with young kids, then you should be able to do it without them.