what chance a good meal this evening?

hi folks, g'friend & i moved to choumert sq in late summer, but have only so far eaten out at ganapati (which is absolutely cracking btw - try the locally brewed beer, splendid) and il giardino, as we've mostly entertained at home- thrill of being in your own place etc!

anywho, decided on a whim to go out tonight, mainly because i'm hugover and can't be bothered with cooking. looking for somewhere not too pricey around LL/bellenden that would be able to accommodate us just 'turning up.' i hear the palmerston does a decent meal, but will probably be rocking and rolling too much by 9pm ish?

do you reckon there's a cat in hell's chance anywhere???

much ta

The Palmerston and Franklins are generally considered the best of the bunch, it's worth phoning them just in case they can fit you in.

You shouldn't need a reservation at any of the indian places except Tandoori Nights.

You might be able to get into Le Chardon, but the grub (and service) is somewhat hit-and-miss.

Le Moulin (up by The Plough) will definitely be able to acommodate if you fancy some 1970s dinner party classics.

cheers guys. i did go to le chardon a few years ago when i was working on the lane- upon telling the waitress how i'd like my duck, 'chef won't like that,' was her reposte.

may go for a stroll to grove lane if the other half can be convinced- it'll also give me a chance to check out that rather tantalising pub, the 'hermits cave.'

tasty_snacks Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> cheers guys. i did go to le chardon a few years

> ago when i was working on the lane- upon telling

> the waitress how i'd like my duck, 'chef won't

> like that,' was her reposte.

Presumptuous of you even to have offered an amateur opinion on the matter.

Of yourself and the chef, who has been to catering school? Who has burn scars on his hands? Who is the one most likely to be surrounded by edged weapons (I of course am not acquainted with your good self, so am assuming you're not).

And most importantly, who is in a position to flob in the mayo?

I'd adopt a more humble approach to chefs, they're not all as pleasant as Gordon Ramsey, I hear.

the montpelier is actually my local, some 23 seconds from my front gate, and i agree that they serve up good food. last time i was there however my sunday roast had no gravy as they were all out! that aside, it was delicious, and for the sake of fairness, i should add that this was around 7pm in the evening.

we went to a thai place (sema thai?) opposite somerfield in the end last friday. the food was good rather than great, but i thought it fitted our purpose exactly. we sat down, were served promptly and efficiently and apart from that were left to our own devices for a few hours. moreover, they deserve a worthy mention for dispensing the quite splendid victual that is beer lao.

• 1 month later...
What is it with their duck at Le Chardon. When we complained we got chucked out!No joke.An awful and humiliating experience on my birthday. So ridiculous i have to laugh but my partner will never get over it. The lovely people at the Palmerston reccomended the french restaurant opposite the Clapham Picture House,we're going to give it a go. Hopefully we can salvage a good night out and let the east dulwich banhsee fester in her unhappiness as her restaurant falters.