Charity shops in East Dulwich and surrounding areas - where are they?

Hello All,

I am hoping to visit as many local charity shops as possible in the East Dulwich area, and neighboring areas.

I will be really grateful if you can provide the following:

name of charity store.

full postal address

opening times

brief description of whats offered.

trinidad Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hello All,

>

> I am hoping to visit as many local charity shops

> as possible in the East Dulwich area, and

> neighboring areas.

>

> I will be really grateful if you can provide the

> following:

>

> name of charity store.

> full postal address

> opening times

> brief description of whats offered.

why don't you just google?

Lordship Lane;

None of the E D shops are cheap. For value for money try the Ald Life shops. One on Forest Hill and one on Walworth Rd.

Two St Christopher's hospice shops. One near junction with North X Rd - clothes, bric-a-brac, books, sometimes small furniture. Not cheap but a good range. 10-6.00 weekdays for larger shop

Smaller St C's further down nearer roundabout. Good clothes and some books and b-a-b.

Mary's Living and Giving. On corner of Frogley (?) and L Lane Good quality clothes. Some books.

Shelter near roundabout. New, mostly clothes, nice lay-out.

Mind on corner of Grove Vale, Clothes, small amount of books and b-a-b.

Four shops in Camberwell.

Try these two Oxfam store as they are close to each other literally across the road.

Oxfam

20 Half Moon Lane, Dulwich

London, SE24 9HU

Opening Hours:

Mon: 10:00 - 18:00

Tue: 10:00 - 18:00

Wed: 10:00 - 18:00

Thu: 10:00 - 18:00

Fri: 10:00 - 18:00

Sat: 10:00 - 18:00

Sun: 11:00 - 16:00

https://www.allinlondon.co.uk/directory/1225/57120.php

Oxfam BOOKS

9 Half Moon Lane, Dulwich

London, SE24 9JU

Opening Hours:

Mon: 10:00 - 18:00

Tue: 10:00 - 18:00

Wed: 10:00 - 18:00

Thu: 10:00 - 18:00

Fri: 10:00 - 18:00

Sat: 10:00 - 18:00

Sun: 12:30 - 17:30

The Cancer Research shop in Butterfly walk Camberwell sometimes has very nice things. There is a Trinity Hospice shop opposite it and a Crisis shop and Scope nearby. But for really great charity shops go to an upmarket area, Blackheath for example, or Chelsea.

I went into crises in camberwell and on the walworth road, i found the clouthes quite expensive. i was looking at short sleeve shirts. there was a nice one in camberwell, for ?10 and on walworth road, it was ?12.00 i thought clouthes would be live a fiver or something, seems quite high, or am i out of touch?

To be honest a lot of charity shops are overpriced-I'm sorry to say this but I'Ve seen not very good condition blouses from chainstores being sold for more than a new one would be in Primark.

The Red Cross Shop on London Road near Forest Hill station is fairly priced and clothes tend to be in good condition, The Sue Ryder store on the same side of the road next to sainsburys is also good.

St Christophers hospice shops are pretty good,

Mind on lordship Lane near Goose green is good and reasonable.

These are the only charity shops I donate to because my feeling is, If I'm getting rid of good quality second hand clothes I want them to go to someone who wouldn't be a be to afford new.

The trouble with Charity shop browsing is you need to go regularly-one day they can have rubbish, the next wonderful finds.

Was in South Kensington today and visited the Royal Trinity Hospice shop there which, I notice, has beautiful good quality shirts for men for ?12. I think locally in East Dulwich you should probably be paying less.

Flux capacitor Wrote:

> I would recommend

>

> MIND 96 Grove Vale, Dulwich

> London, SE22 8DT

>

> Opening Hours:

>

> Mon: 10:00 - 17:00

> Tue: 10:00 - 17:00

> Wed: 10:00 - 17:00

> Thu: 10:00 - 17:00

> Fri: 10:00 - 17:00

> Sat: 10:00 - 17:00

> Sun: 11:00 - 16:00

>

> They stock all manner of goods from bric-a-brac

> pots and pans to clothing and CD's.

>

>

> https://www.allinlondon.co.uk/directory/1225/56831

> .php

That shop always seems very expensive to me, at least for clothes, though I have bought a mirror and a coffee table there at reasonable prices in the past.

trinidad Wrote:

> that is a option, but i would rather look at

> recommendations / those who have used these shops.

Most people don't have the full postal address or phone number to hand, why are they expected to look it up for you?

Thankyou for your contribution. If most people as you state dont have the full postal address or phone number to hand, that is perfectly fine. I am not falling people to have this information, simply asking so "they are not expected to look up anything"

Pugwash Wrote:

> The big St. Christopher's Hospice Shop had it's

> rent put up by around ?30,000 pa so prices had to

> rise. They also have daily and weekly targets to

> reach.

Ah, thank you, that explains the hike in prices.

But sadly, it now seems to have become a lot less affordable for those who need for financial reasons to buy their clothes in charity shops :( Which the Mind shop already was, compared to the hospice shop.

I know this has been discussed on here before, probably more than once, but it seems (and I'm not saying this is wrong) that the charity's priority is to raise funds for its own work rather than to provide affordable items for people who couldn't otherwise buy them.

I do wonder whether with a rent rise of ?30,000 pa the shop wouldn't do better to look for a cheaper site? Is it that it gets better quality donations in East Dulwich and that's why it stays here? Because I don't know what its turnover/profit is, but ?30k seems to me to be a massive additional amount of money to have to raise each year.

SENSE shop on Rye Lane, between HSBC and the Aylesham Centre. Classic charity shop IMO: random stuff, cheaply priced, hard working ladies sorting through donations in the back, and a comforting smell you only get in charity shops and church halls. The last thing I bought there was a copy of 'Freakonomics' for commute reading.

St. Christopher's have opened up a furniture shop I believe in Sydenham. The Hospice may get some funds from the Clinical Governance groups of Lewisham, Southwark and Bromley but they have to fund raise all other costs. I cannot remember how many millions they have to raise each year - but when you consider the high costs of providing End Of Life Care in terms of staffing, environment, medications etc as well as general upkeep of the building, they need to put money back into the coffers.

There was agreement originally with the local councils and landlords that if an empty premise was used as a charity shop, it did not need to pay rates/council tax and only a nominal rent. This is why most items were 'cheap' as minimal overheads.

Most charity shops now have one or two staff members who are paid - making them more of a business. I think St. Christopher's have 2 staff members and the rest are volunteers. When you think the shop is open 7 days a week, and the hours of opening are quite long - the pay cannot be over generous.

Both my daughter and grand daughter shop in charity shops, they have got bargains over the years ( a designer label dress retailing at ?150 for ?10) and some unusual designs, but even in Bromley area, clothing is pricey but other items are cheap. They go down to Brighton regularly to scour the charity shops there which are much cheaper than London. This may be because they have 3 universities in the region and cater for the student population. ED nearest universities are Elephant and Castle, New Cross, Peckham (Art) so not quite the concentration of students. When my kids were young, I frequently purchased clothing from charity shops as they out grew every thing so fast. I do the same for my grandchildren and have picke dup things for as little as ?1. Books are usually the cheapest items to buy in charity shops.

I'm horrified to hear about the 30k rise in annual rent. thats an extra ?600 pw after all other overheads they need to find.

Surely a landlord would rather have something in his retail space than an empty shop?

That kind of hike on that kind of tenant is just greed and turns my stomach.

no wonder our high streets are full of such c**p.

My mother passed away in a hospice, those places are run by angels and to see some greasy pawed landowner trying to squeeze money out of a charity like that..just evil!